• April 25, 2024, 11:44:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Purchased a 2011 XU 'showroom/demo' model in Kalamazoo. Did I get a lemon?  (Read 1498 times)

BenBrown

• View Profile

I just spent serious money for me, on a 2011 XU.  The salesman said it would be highway worthy and would get 25 miles on a charge.  I contacted Zero this past weekend about concerns about the range and found out how to test it.  I did two tests. 

The first was on fairly level grade with only one short hill mainly in eco mode. At a little over 17 miles I got the flashing two, then one bars.  I was able to make it the block and a half to my garage.   On the second test, I rode again in city traffic, at speeds between 25 and 45 mph with one hill a block long.  (I also rode back down that hill.)  At 18.6 miles it was completely dead with no warning except two 20 second pauses in power.  I was in the process of actually showing the cycle to an interested person in a parking lot when the cycle died.  Now the great PR I'd like to share about Zero motorcycles.  The cycle is getting 25% less miles than presented, with a top speed of 51 mph.

I was told I was getting a special deal and not to share the 'super' price I was getting.  I've been praising Zero all over my networks, but with this test, I feeling I need to go back and inform my networks from the state ev organization to a couple of potential fleet buyers about the regional dealer. 

I purchased the vehicle based on being able to cover my regular commutes of a maximum 10 miles one way, normally 8 miles. I've written Zero and my dealer and haven't heard a thing back.   This is not making it.

As I'd prefer a win-win I'm open to suggestions on how to handle this because I'd rather see Zero known for good products to my network and others who follow me.

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

According to the factory specs page the top speed is 51 mph - not remotely "highway worthy."

Range
Maximum   30 miles (48 km)
EPA UDDS   25 miles (40 km)

It sounds like the range is lower than normal but then again, I'm not sure what to expect of a two year old battery.  I have a 2010 Brammo Enertia with over 4,000 miles and I am still getting the same range it got when it was brand new, although, on some days, it seems like it's lost perhaps 7-10% of its range.  And then, the next day, it seems like it's getting 100% of what it got when I first owned it. Go figure.

When you say it is dead with "no warning" are you saying that moments before, you had more than 2 or 3 bars on the gauge?  If yes, then something sounds wrong. 

Other Zero owners - is this perhaps "the glitch"?

2010 Brammo Enertia

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog

2011 XU was rated by Zero with a top speed of 51 mph. I don't regard that as highway worthy, but that's a somewhat nebulous term. If your salesperson represented as being able to reach 70 mph freeway speeds then he misrepresented the bike to you.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-xu/2011/specs.php

The 2011 XU is rated at 25 miles in the EPA's city cycle, which is start and stop riding mostly at 35 mph. 18.6 miles at 25 to 45 mph with some hill climbing sounds a little low but not unreasonably so; higher speeds will disproportionally consume "miles" of range. I would expect pure 45 mph operation on flat ground to give you about 15 miles of range.

If you can charge both at work and home then you should be fine, even riding at 40-45 mph.

If you can't charge at work then I think the XU's battery is probably too small for a 16-20 mile commute at 35+ mph speeds. You might be able to make it with a windshield or tucking, but that's unreasonable IMO.

You might talk to your dealer about returning or exchanging the bike. If you have no recourse to return it, he might be open to accepting is as credit towards a 2011 S or 2012 XU, either of which would have significantly more battery capacity.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BenBrown

• View Profile

I have another response from a Zero rep, stating I likely need to break in the battery and I must make sure to leave the cycle plugged in even when not in use to balance the batteries and get it use to my riding habits.  This is especially important the first 300 miles.  The showroom/demo model came with close to 200 miles on it and I'm pretty sure they didn't leave it plugged in throughout the day...

rightleft22

• View Profile

I have also recently purchased as 2011 XU and am getting the same performance as you.
The bike had less than 200 km when I got it, and I doubt that it was kept plugged in when not in use so I’m hoping this didn’t damage the battery.

I’ll keep the bike plugged in and will see if the performance changes after the next 200 km and report back hoping you might do the same. 

I’m enjoying riding the bike and think it’s an excellent first bike introduction into the riding world however I really needed it to be able to get the 25 mile range the bike was reported to have (expected a -10% but not the -25-30% I’m getting)

I'm hoping that maybe in the future Zero will offer a battery upgrade/repacment or something
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:33:48 PM by rightleft22 »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog

rightleft22,

I don't know what your riding conditions are like.

The EPA UDDS city driving schedule is pretty light. One brief stretch - about a minute - above 35 mph, a couple of very brief stretches at 30-35 mph, and almost everything else at 20-30 mph. Very light acceleration.

It's certainly possible to exceed the UDDS ratings by riding carefully at lower speeds; 25 mph constant speed riding would do it, as would local urban riding with speeds below 25 mph. But it's very easy to exceed the average energy/mile requirements of the UDDS, even 35 mph stop and and start riding would likely do so.

It's possible that you and BenBrown are both seeing some combination of battery degradation (on bikes that are 2.5 years old) and perhaps higher speed riding requirements that are higher than the UDDS.

rightleft22

• View Profile

protomech

I’ve experimented with various driving styles and conditions and so far have the best I have obtained is 75% of the stated range.
For my average ride (city) I’m seeing about a 45+/- minutes of road time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:00:44 PM by rightleft22 »

hungff77

• View Profile

I had the 2011XU for almost a year, and only riding it during summer time. The top speed is around 51mph, or 85kph max. So it is not "highway worthy". And the range is around 22~24km, with a mix of slight hills (up and down) and short highway and city. I ride to work on one way, around 20km, with short highway (5km, 80kph) and then some uphill, I have one bar left when I arrive my office, and 3 bars left on the same way back when I arrive home. (downhill and highway).

I have "break-in" the battery already, according to the Zero "break-in" process. and I find each bar has the range around 2km.

And my current odometer is around 800km.

So I will say your XU is standard, pretty much as what I have. 

BenBrown

• View Profile

Sounds  to me like Zero is expecting after several months of riding the motorcycle the real 'break in' will be us and not the batteries.  I can do a test in two weeks of fairly constant speed, with few hills, without stop and go at a 20-25 mph speed.  This is normally a bit dangerous on the city streets, but on a Sunday morning a city loop should be safe.  I think I will check about getting this documented and verified.  I can videotape the test and suggest others do too.  17 miles I'm currently getting is 50% of the 30 miles advertised and less than the 25 miles EPA prediction. 

Considering the pricing difference and mileage difference between 2011 and 2013 models... for what I paid, I'm feeling just a bit taken to the cleaners.  For less than half the mileage I paid a little more than half the price for an older technology.  Would you pay the same rate for an older less than 50% capable Apple computer or smart phone?   At the moment this does not feel like the incredible deal I was told.  I think I need to do some further note comparisons.  I'm hoping I'm mistaken and will be relieved to endorse the bike again.  I'm hoping I can get the 25 miles per hour... stay tuned.

**Update!  I took the cycle in and was reminded my bike has not had two years of ownership, so I'm still under warranty.  Good news.  I took it in because of a clunking sound/feel that sometimes occurred after acceleration. (Any one else experience that?  I cleaned and lubed the chain, but that didn't do it.)  I also took it in because the Zero representative was curious about the instant termination of drive once the one bar was flashing.  The cycle didn't slowly lose power as the last light flashed, it just stopped on the road dead.

I Want both the dealer and the company to prosper, because the are absolutely needed.  Likewise I expect them to  do the very best and most fair by me or any of us.  I really think they are trying, but we'll see.

Yeah... stay tuned...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:12:37 AM by BenBrown »

hungff77

• View Profile

For the XU, 30miles range is more like 2012. 2011 is more like 20miles range, with shorter charge time.  But that is the real world range. The advertise range is when it runs at the optimal situation, with unbearable low speed.

For the battery break-in: I do found I have better range after. Before, I had only 2 bar flashing after 16km ride, but after the break-in charge cycle, I can have 18-19km ride then I will see the 2bar flashing. I think it is more like charge cycle, calibrate the display, and rider learning.

rightleft22

• View Profile

BenBrown
I completed some more test runs:
The route I took, inner city, posted speeds ranging from (30 kph (18 mph) – school zones to a max 60 kmh (37 mph) for 1.5 km run - average posted speed 50 kph

Depending on driving style, aggressive acceleration and deceleration to genital econ mode I consistently recorded a range of 20 km (12 miles) - 30 km (19 miles).

A range of 15 miles with a safety reserve of 2 miles is probably going to be the best case scenario for the average inner city commute.

I suspect, that this is common to most owners of the 2011

Any vehicle manufacture stated mileage are always under ideal conditions so I wasn’t expecting to get 48 km or even 40 km range I was hoping for 35 km. The 25 km (16 miles) I’m getting leaves me zero safety margin to use the bike to commute to work.

There probably aren’t too many 2011 Zeros out in the world but I still hope the company doesn’t forget those of us who took a chance with the new technology, supporting the way for the next generation.   

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog

I assume you completed multiple 1.5 km loops?

Sounds like you are seeing some battery degradation then, as that test loop should be close enough to the UDDS test conditions that you shouldn't see 30-40% less range than specified.

rightleft22

• View Profile

I meant the test route had a section 1.5 km with a speed limit of 60 kph
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:10:52 AM by rightleft22 »

rightleft22

• View Profile

Apologies my data is not accurate. I didn’t’ check my tire pressure before the test runs which it turns out were under inflated nor did I take into account the weather. We are experiencing a typical Calgary spring of fluctuating temperatures form 0 to 23 Celsius in the same day and my bike is charged in a un-heated shed. Also my test rides were taken in the cool early morning.

Last evening, with the tires properly inflated and the air warm, I completed a 20 km ride and still had half a charge left in the “tank” ... riding in sport mode without thinking about range

With the fluctuating temperatures I’m going to have to monitor my tire pressure better and if I do I think I’m going to be able to get the 35 km with safety margin I was hoping for. 

Pages: [1]