• April 23, 2024, 03:29:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2013 S Rear Shock  (Read 1155 times)

spelunker

• View Profile
2013 S Rear Shock
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:35:40 AM »

I hope this is not a sign of things to come, but a seal blew in my rear shock today riding home from work… smooth highways and city streets. I can't take it to the dealer until Saturday. It's already spent about ten days in for a faulty fuse holder and about ten more days with the clicky sprocket-key thing. I hope this doesn't take as long.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:18:26 PM by spelunker »

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2013 S Rear Shock
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »

I hate it when that happens.  My first accessory Ohlins rear shock (that I could afford to buy) blew its seal right after I installed it on my 1986 VFR700FII.  My bike didn't even leave the garage.  It just puked all of its oil under the bike on to the garage floor.  I had it repaired by the Ohlins distributor and it is still working well 27 years later.  Hopefully you will have the same results with your Fast Ace.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 05:13:13 PM »

I had a left front fork start to puke at the base (not the seal area) after a few hundred miles.  Zero was right on it and got me a replacement fast.

I've found that everything Zero does from a core competence standpoint (motors, batteries, choosing the best controller) is very well done.  I think they are sourcing the rest from cheap manufacturers to hold costs down and some dubious bits are making it through production inspection.  The alternative is the Mission R where you can pay $35K and get all the best stuff on the planet.  Of course you would be getting a bit more for that $ but you get the point.

My MY12 had absolutely NO quality issues and I expect my 13 to follow in the same footsteps once all the little junk is sorted.  I has been over 1500 miles since I had an issue so I may already be there.  Have faith.  Zero cares.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

spelunker

• View Profile
2013 S Rear Shock
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »

I agree with what you are saying here. But, it took them a week and a half to get parts to me (Ft. Worth) on two separate occasions. That could be better.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »

I agree with what you are saying here. But, it took them a week and a half to get parts to me (Ft. Worth) on two separate occasions. That could be better.

After owning an Aprilia RS50, I can tell you that some established Italian motorcycle companies are a lot worse about supplying parts than Zero.  Most of the time, my shop would never have RS50 parts in stock (such as turn indicators, VR's, ignition modules, pistons, circlips, bearings and the like).  It would typically take two months to get them after I paid for the parts - which would arrive from their (or someone's) warehouse in England.   >:(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

spelunker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:17:28 AM »

I hope this is not a sign of things to come, but a seal blew in my rear shock today riding home from work… smooth highways and city streets. I can't take it to the dealer until Saturday. It's already spent about ten days in for a faulty fuse holder and about ten more days with the clicky sprocket-key thing. I hope this doesn't take as long.

I got my bike back today (it was ready Tuesday, but I was too busy to pick it up until today).
The shock is fixed and I had them look at the clicking sound that was supposed to go away with a new sprocket key.  Actually, they replaced both the sprocket and key.  This did actually fix the problem, but the screw came loose and the washer was making the sound again.  A little lock-tight took care of that!

All is well.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »

I had my '12DS in 3 times (at my selling dealer 200 miles away) for a leaking fork seal (the seal obviously wasn't the root cause). On the 3rd time Zero agreed to replace the forks.

A couple weeks later, I find oil on the floor next to the front wheel. I couldn't find the source at first, as the fork slider was clean. However, further investigation revealed that the (new) fork was leaking around the damping adjustment screw at the bottom.  Fortunately a local dealer has opened, and I was able to drop the bike off after work. Got a call from them this week, and it must be dire this time, as Zero is sending another set of forks.

Zero has tried to help, and hopefully this time it will be fixed for good. The electrics haven't given me any problems. I also understand their decision to source "economical" non-electric components to keep the bike's price down, match their anticipated production volume, whatever. But I gotta say that Brammo's approach to component selection on the Empulse is looking pretty good to me right about now.

EDIT: Dealer called today. They got a fork from Zero, but it wasn't the proper one, and it was damaged to boot (not sure if that was in shipment or from the get-go). Sigh.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:25:28 AM by CliC »
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log
Pages: [1]