• April 25, 2024, 10:48:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Givi top rack / case arrived  (Read 4693 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Givi top rack / case arrived
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »

Pic of Darth Zero with his new top box. :)  I like my Givi case a lot. It does rattle though, but I am thinking this is normal since the bike is so quiet....

I could hear my passenger helmet rattle around in the case, but I just put a little soft padding (re-usable grocery bags) in there and that more or less silenced it.

That said, the bike is quiet enough that I can hear turn signal clicking, tire sound on pavement, and fork motion over bumps!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »

I just picked up the side racks today, and there's no diagram for assembly, so I'm going to work based on the fleet police studio photos on the website (and some experience putting on Givi racks before) unless someone can provide any technical hints. :)

I received PDF instructions today thanks to my dealer contacting Zero. The instructions look really clear so I will try this again this weekend. It looks like it will be really straightforward, less than an hour's work.

Wow, so this was not simple. The passenger footrest mounting bolts become nearly inaccessible after adding the luggage bracket, so they're very difficult to re-torque. Thankfully my dealer's mechanic was nice enough to spend 10 minutes getting together an appropriately articulated socket setup to finish the job (I had gotten the lower bolts hand-tight and then ran the bike over to the dealer). Other parts of the job were often awkward but not difficult. I'll post pictures and details soon (beyond these dusk photos), but I now have three cases.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »

Nice, I would never give up mine!

So have fun and don't over load it  ;D
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 09:36:44 PM »

Zero has posted the side rack package to their web store.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »

Wow, they posted a lot of new accessoires on their website!
new windscreens, high/low gearing options and more.
Heated seat even!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 04:07:34 AM »

Here is a link to the heated seat:  http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_2&products_id=183

I find this interesting, not because the seat is heated (I don't need that), but because the seat is made by Sargent and not Corbin.  I have a Sargent seat on my F650GS and love it.  It is very well made (as good, if not better than the stock BMW seat - and much better than any Corbin seat that I have owned) and much more comfortable than the stock seat. I just came back from a 1,750 mile ride on my BMW, to and around eastern Oregon, and the seat kept me happy.  The stock seat gives me a pain after about 2 hours.  Hopefully this Sargent seat will work as well for 2013 Zero owners.  If I had a 2013 model I would buy one.  The Sargent seat for my BMW set me back $450, so the Zero seat is a very good deal, especially for a low volume item and one that is heated.  (Try pricing a Corbin heated seat sometime.)   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »

The support frame for the top case does not look extremely solid from the photo's. Also the bit leaning on the plastic fender seems like it could cause the plastic to crack after hitting a bump.
How does it feel in real life, is it rock solid? How much weight can you carry, could it hold a laptop and lock (say about 10kg total weight) and survive a bump?
Thanks
Once you go EV, gas is history!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »

The support frame for the top case does not look extremely solid from the photo's. Also the bit leaning on the plastic fender seems like it could cause the plastic to crack after hitting a bump.
How does it feel in real life, is it rock solid? How much weight can you carry, could it hold a laptop and lock (say about 10kg total weight) and survive a bump?

Yeah, it certainly did seem that way when I first installed it. But the bars are held by two sets of bolts, one horizontal for the seat mount and one vertical in front of that, so there's some vertical firmness.

I can't tell whether fatigue on the tail section will be a problem in the future, but it's not bearing a lot of weight and there's a rubbery cover over the metal bit that sits on the tail. So it seems fine to me, if not an ideal design.

Regarding capacity, so far, I've carried groceries or a helmet and laptop, and it feels solid and within the specification. I do have the dual sport suspension but I live in Seattle with its potholes particularly on the gravel alley leading to my driveway.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 02:25:54 AM »

It should also protect against rain splash from the back tire, something that drives me crazy! Nice job.

Oh, did you notice the dirt on my back seat there? My driveway opens out onto a gravel alley, so I am also going to check this as a mudguard.

After some rain recently, it does seem like the top rack makes an adequate mudguard, at least for the passenger seat and my jacket. :)
Pages: 1 [2]