• April 24, 2024, 01:57:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Givi top rack / case arrived  (Read 4691 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Givi top rack / case arrived
« on: May 31, 2013, 08:09:27 AM »

The official Zero top rack arrived with the Givi E340 Monolock top case. Installation took just a couple of allen wrenches (5mm to get the seat bolts off, 4mm for the rack mount bolts, 5mm again to mount the monolock plate) and additionally a wrench and screwdriver for the monolock plate mount.

I spent about 20 minutes total on the installation, rather leisurely, really. I suppose my one point of confusion which the instructions didn't clarify was whether the rubber-bumpered part of the tail mount went over or under the end of the tail. I placed it on top for the ride home but it seemed slightly wrong. Pictures attached show what I mean.

EDIT: I re-examined it close up, and it's clearly meant to rest on the tail and not under it, given the angle of the bracket for that rubber bumper. Also, the bars don't admit any upward motion so I don't feel like there's a danger of it "lifting" off of the tail. So I'm leaving it as-is unless I get official advice otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:14:15 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Givi top rack / case arrived
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »

It's interesting that the photos from the product page are for the 2012 version which mounts a bit differently from this. I think this year's top rack is a bit sleeker and better looking. I also like the E340 since it fits my large helmet plus probably my rain pants. My 13-inch laptop fits easily, but not my messenger bag, which is rigid lengthwise so is a tad too wide for it.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 09:04:07 AM »

From the Police fleet model photos (here, specifically), it looks like the rack is meant to rest atop the tail in the way I installed it.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »

I think too on top make more sense.

I can warm to put a top case to my 2012DS but if I see storing the helmet in it! Its a nice feature.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »

I should point out that my main goal with this mod is to get my girlfriend on regularly as a passenger. That means carrying her helmet (or handbag while riding) with me sometimes and having some grab bars and a backrest so that she doesn't feel like I'll torque the bike out from under her while she's perched on that tail seat.  ;D

This setup seems to handle that fine, although I'll know for sure this weekend with the weather projected to be nice.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »

I have a Givi universal top box installed on my R1200R and I find that it is very useful.  But I sure wish someone would design a sliding rack that would allow you to slide the box over the passenger seat when not carrying a passenger in order to better center the weight on the bike.  Plus, I'll bet having the box at the back of the rider gives a more efficient air flow and less drag than when the box is just hanging by itself off of the end of the bike.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Nukie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 01:05:12 AM »

It should also protect against rain splash from the back tire, something that drives me crazy! Nice job.
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 03:23:21 AM »

It should also protect against rain splash from the back tire, something that drives me crazy! Nice job.

Oh, did you notice the dirt on my back seat there? My driveway opens out onto a gravel alley, so I am also going to check this as a mudguard.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 03:26:38 AM »

I have a Givi universal top box installed on my R1200R and I find that it is very useful.  But I sure wish someone would design a sliding rack that would allow you to slide the box over the passenger seat when not carrying a passenger in order to better center the weight on the bike.  Plus, I'll bet having the box at the back of the rider gives a more efficient air flow and less drag than when the box is just hanging by itself off of the end of the bike.

I've been a happy Givi top-box user since I got into the V-Strom over 5 years ago. I doubt we'll ever see a top rack that slides forward, just because of production complexity, but on trips I often fill in the space between my back and the case with a laundry bag for this reason.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 03:28:53 AM »

I suppose I should mention that side-case rack mounts should arrive in another couple of weeks. I've ordered them with SW-Motech mounting points so that I can re-use the Aero cases that I bought to interchange with my V-Strom's TraX rack. They're quite aerodynamic and should be a nicer look than the Givi E-21's used for the police fleet models.

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »

Hi Brian,

Based on the pictures, your installation looks good.  Thanks for posting them and let us know how it works for you.

Regards,
Aaron
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »

Based on the pictures, your installation looks good.  Thanks for posting them and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks for confirming! The case works great, and my passengers give the backrest and grab bars good reviews. They're used to a slightly larger seat area on my V-Strom, so it's cozy but comfortable. Notably, I was able to talk to my passenger while moving around downtown at 35mph or so, which was really quite nice, because the Zero is amazingly quiet.

I just picked up the side racks today, and there's no diagram for assembly, so I'm going to work based on the fleet police studio photos on the website (and some experience putting on Givi racks before) unless someone can provide any technical hints. :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 04:50:22 AM »

I just picked up the side racks today, and there's no diagram for assembly, so I'm going to work based on the fleet police studio photos on the website (and some experience putting on Givi racks before) unless someone can provide any technical hints. :)

I received PDF instructions today thanks to my dealer contacting Zero. The instructions look really clear so I will try this again this weekend. It looks like it will be really straightforward, less than an hour's work.

mehve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 06:17:23 AM »

20 minutes! Tsk. I had them install it and it took them an hour (which may be their minimum). My son says he keeps bumping the backrest when he rides with me. I need to be smoother when I accelerate, methinks... since there's no sound of revving to prepare a passenger.  I'll have to post pictures. :)

I'm getting my wheels powdercoated next weekend though. I might not get Darth Zero back until end of week. :/

Cheers!
+m
Rides a 2013 Zero S 11.4

mehve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »

Pic of Darth Zero with his new top box. :)  I like my Givi case a lot. It does rattle though, but I am thinking this is normal since the bike is so quiet....

+m
Rides a 2013 Zero S 11.4
Pages: [1] 2