• April 25, 2024, 11:41:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buying a 2013 S  (Read 1732 times)

dkw12002

• View Profile
Buying a 2013 S
« on: May 30, 2013, 03:03:39 AM »

I haven't posted in about a year since trading in my 2011 S, but I am about to buy a 2013 S demo with 215 miles on it. I actually test rode the bike (along with a Brammo R at another dealer a couple months ago) and the opportunity presented itself to buy the Zero demo. In yellow, 8.5 battery. I have other motorcycles and don't commute so this will be just for fun around town. I'll have to catch up on all the latest Zero news now. I'll pick the bike up on the 12th. It needs a little fairing work from falling over.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Buying a 2013 S
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:12:45 AM »

Welcome back. Did you get a decent discount?

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »

Hard to say.  I traded in a New Ninja 300 with 717 mi. along with my 2012 Triumph Street Triple r with 2800 mi. and had to pay some more. I also got a maintenance contract into the mix,  which is what convinced me. Since it's a demo it will have just short of 2 years left on the Zero warranty. I still have a 2011 Gixxer 1000 that is my main bike that I have put 8500 miles on since I bought it new in Jan. and my 2012 Vespa 300 Super, so I have all my bases covered for getting around and maintenance because I also have a maintenance contract on the Gixxer.  I needed to downsize by one bike to make room for my new car in the garage is really what this is about, but I do like new toys.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

Picked up my 13 Zero S today. Great fun. That storage area is one of the things that sold me on the bike. I shaped one of those cardboard cup holders to fit inside so now I can go to Subway and leave with a refill. Life is good. My experience was with my 2011 Zero S, so this bike is 2 generations better in every respect. It was 2 bars short of a full charge when I left the dealer, and I rode it at least twice the distance my 2011 ever went. Makes me wonder if there was something wrong with the 2011 now cause this bike does just what Zero says for range vs. speed. I got onto I-35 after a long ride just as the remaining 2 bars began to flash. Anxious? Nope. I would have been a year ago, but I rolled on the throttle to 75 mph went a couple miles to the next exit, did a turnaround and headed back home which was about 5 miles at 75 mph and 55 mph. Down to one flashing light the last 2 miles. No problem. Tires, motor, acceleration, top speed, range, storage, are way better than my 2011. Same thunking forks and so-so suspension, but they can work on that for 2014.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

Congrats !

Totally agree on the plus - i would just add the passenger pegs (without which no insurance allows me to take a passenger). Great bike. Now they could start putting decent tires & stronger brakes !

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

Absolutely on the brakes. If ever a bike needed the best brakes, it is this one since there is no engine braking. ABS too. I don't want abs on bikes in general, but a lighter bike like this where you depend so much on braking is different. Very easy to lock up the rear wheel. Zero has already hinted that the 2014 would not see huge changes, but better brakes (including abs), suspension, tires, oh and a clock instead of a tach would be welcome. 

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »

it is this one since there is no engine braking

I couldn't test ride a 2013 S yet but why don't you have no engine braking? I think my re-gen braking is very close to a ICE motor. And since it is adjustable now you can have your individual setting. For sure you have to close the throttle complete that's different.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 08:13:36 PM »

You need gears and compression to get good engine braking. If I go 90 mph in 4th gear and just let off the throttle in my Gixxer, it very quickly slows to 60. With the Zero, it is more like just putting in the clutch and coasting. There is a little resistence, but if you are used to aggressive riding and using engine braking, the Zero will take some getting used to. Even a gas scooter with no clutch and a CVT has more engine braking from the compression than the Zero. All it means is you need to have really good brakes though. I've heard it makes wheelies on the Zero different too. Something about the front not wanting to go back down.

Nukie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »

That storage area is one of the things that sold me on the bike. I shaped one of those cardboard cup holders to fit inside so now I can go to Subway and leave with a refill.

Brilliant! Must try this!  ;D
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

I stand corrected on the regenerative braking. I programmed eco mode yesterday for max regen when the throttle is released and it works very much like engine braking. Just like on an ICE bike, it should help preserve the brakes too. Right now I am set for max braking regen, max throttle release regen, 25% torque, and a max speed of 60 mph. I may just remove the speed restriction and torque restriction setting though but since I almost always engine brake on my ICEs, I'll leave ECO on max regen. My understanding is that there is some regen from releasing the throttle and braking in Sport mode too even though I can't really feel either happening. Now the regen. is very dramatic in ECO mode.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:09:02 PM by dkw12002 »

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 02:39:15 AM »

My reseller told me that with 100 % torque & 0 % regen, you had even more power than in sport mode. I tried but did not notice a big difference. Did anybody try ?
Pages: [1]