• April 26, 2024, 11:55:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Real life range for 2013 models, with or without passengers  (Read 4397 times)

vchampain

• View Profile

Dear 2013 users,

Sunny days are coming and I was planning a trip with my zero S, but I wondered what range could be achieved with a passenger in realistic conditions (ie, not aggressive, but real traffic or stop & go) ? Does it strongly reduce range ?

V

Zeros S 2013 since today
140 kg, driver + passenger

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Real life range for 2013 models, with or without passengers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »

I can't recall anyone posting about riding with a passenger, much less a ride of any distance.  So you might be the first person to provide rear-world performance and range experience while carrying a passenger.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »

Dear 2013 users,

Sunny days are coming and I was planning a trip with my zero S, but I wondered what range could be achieved with a passenger in realistic conditions (ie, not aggressive, but real traffic or stop & go) ? Does it strongly reduce range ?

V

Zeros S 2013 since today
140 kg, driver + passenger

weight does not sound a lot consider two up ! Go for it. take the power cord and charge up when u have a break and enjoy. let us know how you go and you are first to report on what is possible !
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »

I guess two-up will be 15-20% range penalty in stop and go / low speed riding, 5-10% in highway speed riding.

Real world range for the 2012 bikes is very close to Zero's claims, provided that you ride like Zero tests.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:01:41 AM »

Thanks ! But ... well, what's the point driving like in test ? I bought an S instead of an XU to ride as far as far from tests as possible ;-)

Seriously, first impressions so far:
    - wing mirror too wide, but ok turned inside-out
    - very good acceleration - so far I didnt find any other bike or car able to overtake me in urban riding
    - front bag big enough to put a certified lock (made compulsory in France by insurance), but relatively cheap cover (zipper !!!)
    - great acceleration even with a passenger - in fact i did not notice I had a passenger
    - handles for passenger are missing.
    - cheap insurance (390 € for a full cover including theft & replacement at purchase price)
    - simple android app, really works (with some bugs on a Samsung Galaxy Note). Too bad you can't put the max speed lower than 97 km/h, program a complex torque curve
    - much better quality than 2012 models, and great look

In a nutshell, great investment.

V

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »

The grab bars for the 2013 S and DS bikes are built into the license plate mount. Seems kind of awkward to me.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »

???? I dont think so. You would grab bars that will colect all the ravel & dirt from the road !
See pic : http://www.highsnobiety.com/files/2012/10/Meet-Your-New-Favorite-Electric-Motorcycle-01.jpeg

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »

Here's what I read from motorcycle.com's review:

"Also new are standard passenger accommodations, including grab handles integrated into the tailsection."

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 04:21:13 PM »

could not resist:

never held onto just "grab bars" - simply not save. U need to be one with the rider ! so hold on to her or him.

edit. range - so anyone got any range outcome at all on two-up riding so far ? The vid included is the first that comes up in the google search - so dont blame me, blame google.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:22:49 PM by manlytom »
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »

I think the grab bars are a US safety requirement. Most passengers will indeed grip the rider.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »

That video is cute, but I really think those young ladies should have been wearing more clothes.  You just never know how new teenage riders will take to that advice.  I have seen boys riding motorcycles in California's Sacramento Valley during the summer wearing a helmet and not much more than those girls.  You would think they would be concerned at least about sunburn, if not terminal road rash.   :o

Having the girls fully dressed in protective motorcycle clothing and showing how to keep helmets from banging together while riding would have been a better public service - if not so entertaining to male riders.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 05:42:30 AM »

That video is cute, but I really think those young ladies should have been wearing more clothes.  You just never know how new teenage riders will take to that advice.  I have seen boys riding motorcycles in California's Sacramento Valley during the summer wearing a helmet and not much more than those girls.  You would think they would be concerned at least about sunburn, if not terminal road rash.   :o

Having the girls fully dressed in protective motorcycle clothing and showing how to keep helmets from banging together while riding would have been a better public service - if not so entertaining to male riders.

Good points - next time I google it better and do not pick the first hit ... ! At least these girls don't ride of in the video. Just sit there. Keep the helmets out of the way from banging and looking across the riders shoulder in direction of turn could be added.
We have lots of riders in thongs, shorts and sleeveless Ts here in summer and I am thinking the same, no protective gear at all. no good.

Note to non-Aussies: thongs refers to basic sandals - all plastic - and these on motorbikes ... on ICE bikes with hot exhausts...
http://www.ripcurl.com.au/shop/guys/footwear/thongs.html
Tom

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »

Here is a great tool, based on google maps : basically, it tells you where you can go based on the number of kilometers you have left !
(Use the 2B version, very accurate mode)

http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-can-i-travel.htm

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »

A nice tool, now we need the same with charger locations.

I know the Collage in Kempten is doing something for a navigation system.
The plan is for rental e-cars in the Allgäu area, so user can easy plan the trip to nice destination and have always an idea where the next reachable charger is.
Hope there is some progress and maybe "same left over" for private e-user.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 01:11:27 AM »

Today 153 km with 18% left, 3/4 city, 1/4 highway at 110 km/h.
Pages: [1] 2 3