• April 25, 2024, 10:37:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: To use full BMS or not to use full BMS  (Read 1318 times)

jzj

• View Profile
To use full BMS or not to use full BMS
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »

Looking for some experienced help.  I have a very nice DIY conversion electric motorcycle, a 1990 Yamaha FZR with a great AC motor and currently using 6 (alleged) 50AH 12V SLAs to run 72V (http://www.evalbum.com/3918): the motor has a peak of 36HP and the controller is 300A.  But the batteries are already getting tired (yes, I know they're not deep-cycle) and range is now only about 10 miles, and that's not enough.

I want to go to lithium, and I assume I will try to use good-quality iron phosphate batteries.  But, I have a few questions.  First, I have individual chargers for each of my 6 SLAs, and I'd like to retain this basic layout, such that I will connect in series 6 12V battery-blocks which each contain 4 batteries and each charger will charge each battery-block.  Based on size, cost, and desired range factors, I figure I will get 60AH cells (3V x 60AH x 24 cells = 4.3KWH). 

Question 1:  Is it possible to use a simple PCB (http://www.batteryspace.com/pcmprotectioncircuitmodulefor4cells128vlifepo4batterypackat16alimited.aspx) for each 12V battery-block of 4 cells, and not use full BMS?
Question 2:  If the answer to question 1 is "yes," then what are the appropriate matching battery and PCB amp ratings, assuming the bike will be asked to go fast sometimes?
Question 3:  I want to rely on the Soneil 14.7V chargers to keep the cells from overcharging: is this a risk?
Question 4:  Do I need to do anything to the Curtis controller when I make the switch?  Frankly, I find the controller indecipherably difficult to set up, and I'd just as soon leave it alone if that's possible.
Question 5:  I understand that draining these batteries too far is very bad for them, and the PCB will not prevent that, and that it would be on me to keep a close eye on voltage to make sure this is not a problem.  Is this an acceptable solution?

Thanks.

jzj

hamr1

• View Profile
Re: To use full BMS or not to use full BMS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »

Try zero emissions vehicles australia for some good tech on batts and bms
ian hooper university of western australia has some good ideas
HI FROM MARK
i am new to ev but have a lot of experience with race cars and bikes dating from  1950s to current
mainly development /also industry based road vehicles/I love any tech

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
Re: To use full BMS or not to use full BMS
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 02:45:21 AM »

The site visforvoltage.org has a lot of Australian experts helping out us poor Vectrix owners.
Once you go EV, gas is history!
Pages: [1]