• March 29, 2024, 12:42:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mirror Tip of the Day  (Read 1197 times)

Nukie

• View Profile
Mirror Tip of the Day
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »

For more visibility of what's in your side lines, try flipping your mirrors upside down. I did that today and really like the extra real estate I get on what vehicles are in the other lanes. Try it. You may like it.

"Objects in mirror may appear closer than they are...and upside down!"  ;D

"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

hein

• View Profile
Re: Mirror Tip of the Day
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »

Yes, I observed something similar during my test ride (my bike is in transit to me :-).
Also read an other article on pointing them down to reduce total width for lane-splitting.
(I wish I had that problem.. not allowed over here).

fwiw... I thought the mirrors are the absolute most stupid attributes of the zero-s bike, closely followed by the headlight. Why go for crappy 'personalized' style with a crappy construction? Just get something good off-the-shelf and focus engineering resources on parts that matter and make the bike unique for the right reasons! Similar for the belt... if they had to make a dedicated belt anyway, then ok... but if this is a stock belt with 'zero' label then shame on them. Save it, use generic where available.

Sorry for the rant,
Cheers,
Hein

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:42:04 AM »

I tried this and like it quite a bit. It's very comfortable to make side glances now, with a sliver of the mirror close in where you can see without turning your head too much. Also, the upside down position seems less sensitive to mirror angle than the regular position. Zero may not be able to officially approve this, but it's working for me.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »

For more visibility of what's in your side lines, try flipping your mirrors upside down. I did that today and really like the extra real estate I get on what vehicles are in the other lanes. Try it. You may like it.

"Objects in mirror may appear closer than they are...and upside down!"  ;D

Thanks, Nukie. Face palm after reading your idea and trying it. Just goes to show that common sense is a rare trait.

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »

My friend and myself each bought the 13' Zero near the same time a few months back. Both of us hated how wide the mirrors were especially splitting lanes here in So Cal. His first solution was to do what you did and he turned his mirrors upside down. Worked great. My solution was to fit a set of 2012 mirrors. The '12 mirrors are as wide as the '13 mirrors upside down.

After a month of riding with his mirrors upside down he then removed each mirror from the stem and fitted the left mirror on the right stalk and viice versa. He is quite happy with that solution. The mirrors are now right side up and he still gets the narrow width he had with the mirrors upsidedown.

I am quite happy with the '12 mirrors. I can see behind me just fine and they don't interfere withlane splitting.

Jose Soriano

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »

I have good visibility with the stock mirrors. Usually it's a struggle to see anything except your arms and shoulders like with the 2011 S model which I swapped out for a different set. The only glitch for me is that they are fairly close to the grips, so when walking the bike out of my garage by standing to the side and turning the bike, my wrist hits the left mirror. I might be able to adjust that though. The good news is it is easy to replace mirrors and not so expensive if you want. I like the headlight.  If I had one complaint about the looks of the bike it would be the seat. I would prefer a smoother finish and perhaps not quite so wide or hard. Also I get my undies in a bunch when I ride, but I think that is because of the slight forward slant of the seat. This happens on all my bikes though.
Pages: [1]