• April 25, 2024, 06:55:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Autoweek likes the DS  (Read 1301 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Autoweek likes the DS
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »

Here is a favorable review of the DS in Autoweek magazine:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130521/CARREVIEWS/130529972

Enjoy!
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Marshm

• View Profile
Re: Autoweek likes the DS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:44:58 AM »

I thought in general ebikes were comparable to a 250cc dirt bike in power.  This article compares it to a DRZ400.  I have heard other comparisons to 600 twin street bikes.  Is that just due to the new 2013 motor?  Is it really that powerful or are these articles exagerating? 

Pretty much with gas bikes, a larger motor always uses more fuel even if you are just taking it easy.  With electric, I assume a smaller motor would also use less power.  So for those of us who prefer 250cc dirt bikes instead of the 400-450's, a smaller motor option should give a range increase.  If they truely have a 400 class bike, I am surprised they don't make a 250 class bike since those are the major ones for offroad.  Ofcourse now the lines are somewhat blurred with 300 and 350's becomming popular.  Maybe the zero is at the lower end of the 400's for power?  If Zero is more like some of the 350's or 300's, they might think they found an ideal level between the 2 major classes so don't need 2 versions.

I know for street maybe most people would choose more power, but for offroad there really is quite a difference between the 450's and 250's.  That may be due to the larger rotating mass of the larger engine making it harder to turn with the gyroscopic effect.  Perhaps 2 sizes of electric motor do not have that big of a difference, I don't know.

This is a curious topic.  It seems like they really could make a powerful 250 class dirt bike with more range than what they have now. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:04:13 AM »

I thought in general ebikes were comparable to a 250cc dirt bike in power.  This article compares it to a DRZ400.  I have heard other comparisons to 600 twin street bikes.  Is that just due to the new 2013 motor?  Is it really that powerful or are these articles exagerating? 

The new 2013 motor is more powerful and more efficient. Personally, I feel like it has the same power as my original starter bike, the Ninja 500, and way more torque.

This is (as I understand it) the first in-house designed electric motor by Zero just for their application, so it's simply a better fit for the load. As for efficiency, the smaller bike models are lighter and one could dial back the limits on torque, etc., but the overall range is a factor of battery size, rolling resistance, and weight, so it's probably not as straightforward as you imagine. The "powerful 250 class dirt bike" is the Zero FX.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

skeezmour

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:24:20 AM »

That is the beauty of electric drive train. You only use the energy you need to achieve the performance your after. You could ride a bike that is capable of 1000hp but if you ride it nice (all other things being equal) you will not use any more energy to cover a certain distance then a bike that makes 10hp.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »

Marshm,

Zero makes two motors now that are based on the same platform.   The XU, MX, and FX use a smaller motor (it is narrower) and the modular battery pack system.   The MX and FX are similar in weight to a 250 so if you like lighter dirt bikes, check those out.

The DS and S models use a wider motor that is more powerful and also comes integrated with a larger battery box for more range.   Likewise, the S and DS weigh more so they handle more like larger bikes.

As mentioned, with electric you can just use less energy and be more efficient whereas with an ICE if the engine is larger it generally uses more fuel.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:24:39 PM »

...but for offroad there really is quite a difference between the 450's and 250's.  That may be due to the larger rotating mass of the larger engine making...
There will be a big difference with electric, the main problem is weight of the battery, so you can built a nippy offroad with less distance but if you need more distance it will not matter if you have a 250's or 450's motor equivalent, its the battery :'(

... but the overall range is a factor of battery size, rolling resistance, and weight, so it's probably...
and air drag do most at higher speed.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »

Marshm,

Zero makes two motors now that are based on the same platform.   The XU, MX, and FX use a smaller motor (it is narrower) and the modular battery pack system.   The MX and FX are similar in weight to a 250 so if you like lighter dirt bikes, check those out.

The DS and S models use a wider motor that is more powerful and also comes integrated with a larger battery box for more range.   Likewise, the S and DS weigh more so they handle more like larger bikes.

Zero uses 3 combinations of motor and controller for 2013:

75-5 motor, size 2 controller: XU
75-5 motor, size 4 controller: FX
75-7 motor, size 4 controller: MX, S, DS

Gearing combinations, maximum battery discharge rates, and weight are other factors that determine acceleration.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]