• April 24, 2024, 04:54:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: buy a used 2011 Zero S?  (Read 1561 times)

vitaminC

• View Profile
buy a used 2011 Zero S?
« on: May 20, 2013, 03:43:17 AM »

So I've been reading a lot about e-bikes in general, and Zero in particular, and I've just about convinced myself that I need to have one. Only catch is that it's not really feasible for me to buy the latest/greatest 2013 S model. From what I've read, the various models have really come a long way in the past few years. Given that, would anyone consider purchasing a 2011? Here is one for sale near me.

My commute is ~10 mi each way, with 50% of that being freeway, and I could charge at work if needed. How fast can the 2011 go? I don't want to get run down on the freeway...

I'm currently riding a BMW R1150R and if I got the Zero, I would need to get rid of the BMW due to limited parking.

Thanks!

ColoPaul

• View Profile
Re: buy a used 2011 Zero S?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »

Here's the original Zero spec sheet for 2011S.   A few things to think about.
The Craigslist claim of 70 miles/charge is pretty much bunk.  Zero's "EPA UDDS" spec of 43 miles is a reasonable estimate for in-town.   On the highway @60mph expect less.  Based on my 2012, I'd guess 26-30. 
The bike looks clean and hardly used - but if it were me I wouldn't buy it until I got to test drive it from a full charge down to almost empty to verify battery integrity/capacity.   That will give you a good idea of top speed, acceleration, real range, etc.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/2011/specs.php
(link credit to protomech)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:28:10 AM by ColoPaul »
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:23:52 AM »

Hi
if you only commute and can charge at work the 2011 will do the job. I commute 8miles each way in mixed city, short freeway bit and if pushed get 1.5 commutes out of it.

top speed 105km/h or 65 mph. So this might be a bit tight for you.

Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

vitaminC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

If it tops out at 65mph, that is definitely insufficient for my commute. Freeway traffic typically flows at closer to 75mph...

Still, I should do some test rides and see how they are in person.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:37:04 PM »

Could you stretch to a 2012 model?  If you can find a dealer with stock you could get a very good deal.  That 2011 seems overpriced to me in comparison.

vitaminC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:23 AM »

Could you stretch to a 2012 model?  If you can find a dealer with stock you could get a very good deal.  That 2011 seems overpriced to me in comparison.

That's certainly worth a shot. It looks like this place has a few 2012's in stock. I'll have to get in touch with them to see what sort of deals they're looking to make. That may be the best way to go...

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:37:53 AM »

I have a 2010 DS with the same Agni motor and same battery pack although slightly smaller than the 2011 and commute 17 miles to work on Hwy 880 in the East Bay.  Most of that 17 miles is all freeway and I have to do it in the slow lane to cover this distance.  By the time I get to my exit my fuel gauge is blinking"empty" mostly due to the heavy amp draw (usually 150 to 200 amps) from my freeway run which brings the pack voltage way down temporarily playing havoc with the fuel gauge.  Then when I get to work 6 blocks from the freeway, my gauge goes back up to "half tank".   With that "half tank" I might be able to make the return trip home but only at something like 25 mph on city streets.  Luckly I can charge at work.  The 2011 Zero S should do better with it's lower profile (than the DS) and the slightly larger battery pack.  I've had my DS at 80 mph before but can't do it for 17 miles.  Ten miles, mmaayybbee. :D

Still, I prefer riding the bike over taking my tornado maker (car) to work.  The car takes about a gallon of gas each day(about $4) verse a few pennies for the Zero.
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »

That's certainly worth a shot. It looks like this place has a few 2012's in stock. I'll have to get in touch with them to see what sort of deals they're looking to make. That may be the best way to go...

talk to these guys or others, do u have an old ICE to trade in . etc... guess though with the Hong Kong deal Zero has done a great job selling a whole bunch of 2012 models. Recent entry on the Oz movement FB page for the link:
https://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:32:30 PM »

Definitely verify the range, and maybe top speed if that is a question mark. 

Good call on getting a Zero!  I expect you'll be very happy once you are riding it regularly!
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 12:00:46 AM »

Agree about verifying range and top speed. If at all possible I would recommend asking to borrow it for a day, truck it home and do one commute on it. I recall some reviews stating they could exceed 67 mph in a tuck, but then again the speedometer might be optimistic. My 2012 speedo is about 4% high.

Also inquire about how the batteries have been maintained. Sitting on a dealership floor for a couple of years at 100% charge is probably not good for them. A well maintained 2011 S would possibly be able to do your commute in a single charge, but easily do it with a short charge at work.

If you can stretch your budget to $6-7k - example - a used 2012 S ZF6 will give you a newer battery, 30-40% more range, some remaining warranty coverage, and 75 mph sustained freeway speed. Most of the 2012 bikes were sold as ZF9s, so it may be tricky finding a less expensive ZF6.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:29:35 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

vitaminC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »

Thanks again for the all the replies. I'm out of town this weekend for the holiday, so any potential e-bike shopping will have to wait a bit.

Sounds like this is definitely a case of "newer is better", which of course means more $$$. Oddly enough, it would be easier to justify a Zero if my commute were longer. As it is, this would essentially be an emotional (vs rational) choice- not that I ever let that stop me  ;)  The shop local to me does have that '12 ZF6 demo, but they did not seem to be offering much discount over new, though perhaps they'd be more flexible in person. At that point, might as well just spring for the '13. It's amazing how quickly price creep can set in!
Pages: [1]