• March 29, 2024, 06:10:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Star wars pod racer sound on your zero !  (Read 4917 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Star wars pod racer sound on your zero !
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 03:45:47 AM »

And as final proof, I give you Zero's own sound video.   :) My bike makes all these sounds at some point.

Yeah, maybe in just the right quiet sound conditions with the right microphone (and probably a good imagination). All I hear is tire noise and motor whine, which sounds more like a vacuum cleaner or small turbine. Also, no one I've ridden past claims to hear even that.  ???  Heck, it probably depends on specific wear patterns on the bearings or something!

So, we can disagree about the quality of the sound, but there are definitely riders here who want some kind of noisemaking enhancement.

I mean, practically, the number of pedestrians who don't even notice me but do look askance and tilt their heads wondering what they're hearing is amusing but concerning. I want them to hear me coming so they don't leap in front of me inadvertently!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

skeezmour

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 04:54:48 AM »

I have had plenty of LOUD bikes and people still would pull into me, step out ect. Anytime on a motorcycle if you assume someone sees/hears you your probably not going to have a good day.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »

Seems relevant to this thread:
https://www.facebook.com/RIAEvangelist/posts/4828374468193

Something new from DigiNow?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »

The whole loud pipes save lives 'movement' is absolute nonsense.  85% of UK car drivers fail to hear the sirens of emergency vehicles in traffic because of their insulated cars, radios and lack of attention.  If they don't hear something which is designed to attract attention they arent going to hear an exhaust.

Town and city centres are noisy places with alot of distractions, having a loud bike is unlikely to make much difference.  All my previous bikes were loud and on 2 separate occasions I had people step off a pavement and walk into the side of my bike as i crawled forward in traffic.  They were so distracted by talking to a friend and looking at their cell phone.

People also seem to forget the negatives.  I have realised in the past few months especially that loud bikes are extremely irritating, maybe to riders like us some bikes will sound good on a rideout, but to everyone else they are a headache.  You can hear a pack of Harley's from miles away and alot of people hate bikers because of the noise.  I don't mean dislike i mean hatred.  In some towns in the UK on popular biking roads they have taken to deliberately pouring oil on the roads out of vengeance.

Next time you are sitting outside in the sun eating lunch or going for a walk in the country, just listen and tell me that the world wouldnt be a better place without the constant drone of ICE's in the background.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »

The whole loud pipes save lives 'movement' is absolute nonsense.  85% of UK car drivers fail to hear the sirens of emergency vehicles in traffic because of their insulated cars, radios and lack of attention.  If they don't hear something which is designed to attract attention they arent going to hear an exhaust.

Town and city centres are noisy places with alot of distractions, having a loud bike is unlikely to make much difference.  All my previous bikes were loud and on 2 separate occasions I had people step off a pavement and walk into the side of my bike as i crawled forward in traffic.  They were so distracted by talking to a friend and looking at their cell phone.

People also seem to forget the negatives.  I have realised in the past few months especially that loud bikes are extremely irritating, maybe to riders like us some bikes will sound good on a rideout, but to everyone else they are a headache.  You can hear a pack of Harley's from miles away and alot of people hate bikers because of the noise.  I don't mean dislike i mean hatred.  In some towns in the UK on popular biking roads they have taken to deliberately pouring oil on the roads out of vengeance.

Next time you are sitting outside in the sun eating lunch or going for a walk in the country, just listen and tell me that the world wouldnt be a better place without the constant drone of ICE's in the background.

The noise made by an ICE is entirely for the enjoyment of the rider but is an annoyance to everyone around. It's like smoking. Drivers in their cars cannot tell where the sound is coming from. A car driver may run into you in their haste to get away from the racket you're making. But the worst safety negative of a loud bike is that you can only hear yourself. You cannot hear a car or truck coming up behind you the way you can when you're riding a Zero. Much safer to have hearing as an added sensory input from the environment around you.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »

I'll never forget riding my Triumph, with its after-market Staintune mufflers (which are legal in Australia, according to the certificate that came with the mufflers), past a young girl, who put her fingers in her ears because of the noise.  That really made me feel bad.  Now I ride past pedestrians and they never notice me, or if they do, I get a thumbs up.  When I talk to my neighbors they all tell me that they really appreciate my Zero's lack of noise as I ride past their homes in the morning.   :)

I haven't had any more problems with cars violating my right-of-way on my Zero than I have when riding my IC motorcycles.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »

It's an old saying about loud motorcycles: "If they don't see you they will not hear you".

Lane splitting is legal in CA. I've almost pulled into the path of a lane splitter when I thought the loud sound was coming from the other side of my truck. I've also been very startled when I didn't hear the loud bike that was lane splitting, until it was right next to my driver side door.

Trikester

BTW - I don't lane split.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 03:23:27 AM »

I like the idea of being able to customize the sound of your bike.  Swapping exhaust does it, but you don't know what you are getting unless you heard those same ones on the same bike.  New exhaust is expensive.  Much more variety to add cool movie sounds to your ebike.  I say this is a benefit of ebikes.  However, I don't want to mess up silent mode.  Quiet is still a good option. 

wainair

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »

I like the pod racer sound as long as you can turn it off. I could see it being useful in parking lots for pedestrian awareness but that's about it. I like the idea of being silent too. When I ride in the bush it would be much nicer to make as little noise as possible.

As for loud pipes saves lives, it is rubbish. Loud pipes annoy neighbors and that is it. There is a small town by were I live called Belfountain. It has some amazing bike roads through it and it used to be quiet even on the long weekends when all the motorcyclists were out. That is until the loud/straight pipe Harley resurgence started about 15years ago. Now you can't hear yourself think on weekends in the summer because of these inconsiderate riders rolling on the throttle at stop signs and in the turns. It has gotten so bad that the locals are now paying overtime for local police to give out noise violations on the weekends. Most riders that get the tickets though can easily afford the fine and look at is as a joke more than a punishment. 

A huge draw for me with electric bikes is the lack of noise.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 04:54:06 AM »

Today my newspaper just published a story about motorcycle safety and (I can't believe this) recommended that motorcycle riders install a noisy aftermarket muffler to make as much noise as possible so that other motorists will be alerted to their presence.  ::)  Good Grief Charley Brown!  What are they thinking!   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Nukie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »

I would have to say that all my near death experiences on bikes (both loud and quiet) did not come about because of not being heard or heard. It was because of not being seen. To me, visibility is a much bigger issue for safety over sound. The more visible you can make you and your bike is going to help far more than a loud pipe. Not riding in the blind spots of vehicles will also help a great deal. Watching ahead for that person making a left turn.

So many people are inside their cars with windows rolled up and music on, that a loud bike is not going to make a big difference. And so many are distracted by talking and yes, still texting, on their phones. I try and steer clear far from those that I see.

Having a loud horn has also helped me out a great deal. When someone does not see you, the surprise of a loud horn will get their attention.

I would have to say that I am loving the quite of my Zero S. It does allow me to hear what is going on with other traffic and helps me be that much more aware. The sound is does make is just enough to get the attention of pedestrians. People do hear the bike coming and wonder what the strange whirring noise is.

Being seen is most critical to me for safety. And always assuming that no one ever sees me is how I operate all the time. I am glad I picked the yellow S as it does help increase my visibility.
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Star wars pod racer sound on your zero !
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »

I am glad I picked the yellow S as it does help increase my visibility.
Yes. And a big bright helmet helps, too. Mine is white.
2010 Brammo Enertia

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08:21 PM »

I have a bright yellow Can Am Spyder trike. A lot more frontal area than a two wheeler and yet a guy started to change lanes right into me in slow downtown traffic. Good thing I was quick on both the brakes and the horn! I was riding along with some guys on two wheels and they all started joking that I needed to be more visible  ;D

Trikester

wainair

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:12 AM »

I agree 100% with your posts about being more visible. I noticed a difference when I gave up my cool black leather jacket for my high viz yellow silver and reflective Belstaff riding jacket. I also wear a white helmet. That and defensive riding habits... remember everyone is trying to kill you. ;)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/belstaff/belstaff-mercury-jacket.htm
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:44:37 AM by wainair »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 04:33:06 AM »

The possibility to have a  multiple synthetized BUT REALISTIC sound choice and to be able to adjust the volume is the key i think for adding fun to the electric ride and for the people around you.

Here is a great story for you guys:

I am living in Quebec city and there is a great historical region in the city  called "Vieux Quebec"    or i english : "Old Québec"  and it is a historic neighbourhood of Quebec City, the capital of the province of Quebec in Canada. Comprising the Upper Town and Lower Town, the area is a UNESCO World Heritage.

In 80% of that area Motorcycle are prohibited  ::)

The reason is that with a l the architecture with alot of narrow street and high parallel atchitectures, the sound that ICE motorcycle produce is amplified alot and people in the restaurant and terrasses are disturbed.

They have banished motorcycle from circulating in these great street.

I have made alot of great ride in Old Quebec and decided to go in these great area anyway and to forget the restriction since my Zero motorcycle dont make any sound! .. or low sound.

I was arrested 2 times by cops and each time when they discovered that my motorcycle was electric they was siomply fascinated and never arrested me or gaved me a ticket and  expressd to me that there should be an exception for EV in this area.. but that they should have a sound generator to have pedestrian to be aware of your presence while we circulate in these street where there is dense amount of people walking.

ICE motorcycle:0
E-Motorcycle:   1

;)

The possibility to adjust the sound make alot of sense with these  common situations

See picture below

Doc

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:39:52 AM by Doctorbass »
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
Pages: 1 [2] 3