• April 27, 2024, 04:10:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fuel gauge calibration  (Read 1270 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Fuel gauge calibration
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »

Does someone here know how to recalibrate the fuel gauge according to the real capacity of the battery?

I searched on the MBB software ( using terminal and rs232) and there is only one parameter we can calibrate: it's the parameter that make it to work accorcing to the voltage of the battery or the current(capacity) ( the 2 choices are VOLTAGE and CURRENT) but no option exist to calibrate the fuel gauge!

My zero had the BMS replaced and the fuel gauge fall to 1 bar at about 30% of the real capacity i have ( i still can ride the 100% capacity ) but the fuel gauge span seem to be calibrated for about 1kWh total and not the 3kWh i have on my 2011 DS

I know how to caibrate the speedometer but is the procedure similar for th e battery gauge? or is it calibrated using the MBB or BMS ?

Harlan?, Electric cowboy ? offthegrid? Biff ? someone else ?  any idea?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

amahoser

• View Profile
Re: Fuel gauge calibration
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »

I know nothing about how the electronics work on an electric bike but I know general maintenance on cars and bikes. Considering that the Zero probably uses a slightly modified off the shelf Koso guage, I would assume it works like a regular gas bike's gauge. I've tested fuel gauges .Most fuel gauges work by resistance. When the gauge sees 0 ohms, it shows empty, when it sees 90 ohms, it shows full and 45 ohms is half. Most fuel gauges work this ways with a few exceptions on the resistance values. So I would assume that the replacement BMS would be the culprit. You can change the readings in the fuel gauge by addling a resistor or pot (seen that done on some bikes to make the gauge more accurate)

Jose Soriano

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »

any more info on the ZERO gauge ?

Anyone?

Doc

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »

On my 2012SZF6, Zero/Dealer replaced the BMS.
The fuel gauge started acting like I had a ZF9 - each bar represented about 750Wh instead of the 500Wh it should have.
Zero/The dealer fixed it by hooking up with rs232 and configuring the BMS for 6kWh (ZF6) instead of the 9kWh (ZF9).
Don't know what commands they used, don't know if you have more options other than 6 or 9, and don't know if it even applies to your 2011 BMS/MBB.

Good luck...
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 10:46:14 PM »

On my 2012SZF6, Zero/Dealer replaced the BMS.
The fuel gauge started acting like I had a ZF9 - each bar represented about 750Wh instead of the 500Wh it should have.
Zero/The dealer fixed it by hooking up with rs232 and configuring the BMS for 6kWh (ZF6) instead of the 9kWh (ZF9).
Don't know what commands they used, don't know if you have more options other than 6 or 9, and don't know if it even applies to your 2011 BMS/MBB.

Good luck...

I see,
Well i already played with the MBB with the serial com but not communicated with the BMS yet.. i still can get some data from the battery with the MBB but i am not sure if the MBB and BMS have different data regarding the battery or if the MBB already have all the data. From what i've seen, the MBB dont have any info or seting about the battery capacity so my last hope is that the BMS does...

i'lls see.

Doc

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:27:10 PM »

The BMS does contain information identifying ZF9 vs ZF6.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »

The BMS does contain information identifying ZF9 vs ZF6.

OK but is it the same for the 2011 ?

Also whwre are these serial comm cable on the 2011 ? i know there is a round din style connector on my 2011 battery.. i guess it's for the diagnostic ?

Doc

Pages: [1]