• April 24, 2024, 09:37:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Riding electric vs riding petrol  (Read 1598 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Riding electric vs riding petrol
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »

So, I had my first real world experience riding gas powered motorcycles after riding electric for 5 years.  That was weird. 

All the jerkiness due to shifting and the engine vibrations really put me off.  I rode a 2013 Bonneville and a 1964 BMW in the same night.  The noise didn't bother me, though I missed the quiet of my Zero, but every shift of the gears was rather annoying. 

Has everyone else owned gas powered motorcycles before or was your Zero your first?
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Riding electric vs riding petrol
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:33:10 AM »

Had a few gas bikes of various types.  Whenever I ride them now I think they are awful and can't imagine why anybody would want one.  Except for the performance.  If i had a 2013 I would probably never ride a gas bike again if i could help it.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:50:32 AM »

Had a few gas bikes of various types.  Whenever I ride them now I think they are awful and can't imagine why anybody would want one.  Except for the performance.  If i had a 2013 I would probably never ride a gas bike again if i could help it.

My V-Strom 650 is still an exceptionally smooth and reliable motorcycle, and was my primary mode of transportation for 5 years. I still love it after getting the 2013 DS, but now I can baby it a bit more.

A Zero is still not a replacement for an all-around touring-capable bike (range, comfort, protection from the elements, carrying capacity), but the utter simplicity of it (like an appliance) means I have a pair of bikes that complement each other.

Hopefully when I get my Zero luggage racks, it'll also replace the V-Strom for small grocery runs in addition to commuting.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:52:57 AM »

I owned 38 IC motorcycles before buying my first (of three) electric motorcycles. Electric motorcycles just keep getting better and they are easier to ride and require less rider involvement, which leaves you more brain power to focus on the surrounding traffic and the environment around you.   :)

Some people (such as Brammo Empulse owners) might like to shift and clutch, but I have done enough of that in my lifetime and now I just prefer to twist and go.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:16:08 AM »

I don't think I'll go back... but I do like the style of some of the bikes out there... so who knows.

I owned 38 IC motorcycles before buying my first (of three) electric motorcycles. Electric motorcycles just keep getting better and they are easier to ride and require less rider involvement, which leaves you more brain power to focus on the surrounding traffic and the environment around you.   :)

Some people (such as Brammo Empulse owners) might like to shift and clutch, but I have done enough of that in my lifetime and now I just prefer to twist and go.   ;D

Agree on the brain power and focus part.... It really is nice. I lost count of how many times I killed the engine while trying to engage the clutch on an ICE.

As far as shifting. I barely shift around town, whenever I do shift up, I just blip and shift, no clutch. It's nice and easy. I only ever really use the clutch to downshift when I'm slowing at a stoplight or an exit. I'm not really one of those "go-fast knee draggin' " types.
Travis

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 03:40:20 AM »

I have ridden and owned many ICE motorcycles over the last almost 40 years.   I started riding motorcycles at age 5.

I love the Zero but I have a real urge to go for a 400 mile loop ride and I can not do that on my Zero.   If the range or the quick charge issues could be solved I would be happy to ride electric forever but I think I will get another ICE bike next year to do some distance work.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »

I've had a bunch of gas bike (and still do) before I got my 13 Zero S. Last Friday, I took my '11 Concours 14 for a nice canyon run after riding my Electric Zero almost exclusively for the last few months. A few times, while coming to a stop, I almost forgot to downshift!

With the power, handling, comfort and long range of my Concours, the Zero is no match. I did almost 200 miles that day without a thought or worry about range. I never decided to be easy on the throttle to get more range. I gassed (pun intended) it hard out of the corners without worry.

And the COMFORT! My Connie with its electrically adjustable windshield and Baldwin Motorbike Saddle is so damn comfortable (getting a Baldwin for my Zero soon!). The suspension is supple on bumps and can handle full lean shenanigans at the same time. I cannot say the same for the Zero. The ride on my 13 Zero is harsh. The seat feels like i'm sitting on a brick (my ass gets sore after an hour in the saddle).

I know I am comparing apples to oranges but the reality is, the Zero is (at this time) no match for a gas bike when it comes to flexibility.

Having said that, I still love my Zero. I use it to commute 30 miles each way to work. It splits lanes so easily because of its size and it costs me pennies to run.  These things I CANNOT say about my gas bikes.

Funny thing... never noticed a very slight vibration at idle at the footpegs on my Concours before! I guess the Zero, with its smooth power has me spoiled!

I believe that gas bikes are great and electric bikes are great. After riding the Zero though, I do firmly believe that electric motorcycles are the future . Gas bikes are developed. Even basic generic cheap bikes of today are reliable, comfortable and go great in corners. Electric bikes still have a ways to go before they upset the apple cart.

Zero needs to improve what they can... Battery and motor performance are limited to today's technology an real world costs. But suspension and seat comfort is something they can do now (heck, Brammo did it). I know Brammo is focused towards sport more than the Zero, but compliant suspension (regardless of brand) and a comfy seat do make a good commuter.....

Jose Soriano

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »

Didn't  know what a 11 Concours 14 was so googled it, its a Kawasaki 1400GTR in the rest of the world.
here a review, that sure is a lot more bike and price than a Zero.

I cant wait to replace my Suzuki SV650S with a Zero S.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1304_bmw_k1600gt_vs_kawasaki_concours_14_vs_triumph_trophy_se_vs_yamaha/viewall.html

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »

Actually, I paid about $2500 less for my Concours than my Zero.... Zero, I paid full retail and the Connie, I was able to haggle. Their list price is close to the same.....

Jose Soriano
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:39:41 PM by amahoser »

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:15:31 PM »

Didn't  know what a 11 Concours 14 was so googled it, its a Kawasaki 1400GTR in the rest of the world.
here a review, that sure is a lot more bike and price than a Zero.

I cant wait to replace my Suzuki SV650S with a Zero S.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1304_bmw_k1600gt_vs_kawasaki_concours_14_vs_triumph_trophy_se_vs_yamaha/viewall.html

Im glad someone cleared that up!

It depends on where you are riding really.  I live on an island that is 9 miles by 5 miles with lots of tight winding roads.  A 1400GTR would be a hopeless barge, i would be overtaken by cyclists whilst doing 3 point turns.  The zero is great and the MY13 would be perfect.  If i lived in the middle of nowhere a short ride from the autobahn. the 1400GTR would obviously be the better choice.  But then i would rather just have a car for the autobahn and enjoy some winding country roads on a Zero.

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »

You are correct NoiseBoy, but your situation is pretty extreme. If I lived where you live (where's that?!?) I wouldn't have a Concours (or GTR). I live in Los Angeles, CA... Its far from the middle of nowhere... To get to my favorite backroads, I ride about 30 minutes on the freeway. Doing that on the Zero would consume the majority of my battery just travelling to and from the canyons. I used the Concours as an example only because that was the last bike I rode in the twisties. If I rode my MZ Baghira (pretty sure you Europeans know what that is, but most Americans have no idea!) last friday instead of the Concours, I would have said the exact same thing. Except on the MZ, I would have needed one fuel stop... still no big deal compared to finding a charging station and waiting hours for a recharge.

I'll say it again, just to be clear... I love my Zero. Its a damn fun ride but it has its place in my stable along with my gas bikes. If I lived where NoiseBoy lives, I would be more than content having it as my only bike. Heck, on an island that is 9 miles by 5 miles, I can use it to tour!

Jose Soriano

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »

Commuting around town, less than 80 miles - I can't imagine using a ICE bike again.  Seriously.  8)

Taking a day trip with my buddy, 150-200 miles - I'd prefer electric, it's not there yet, but it's getting close.

Going on a cross-country tour, up to 500 miles/day - My BMW is going to be tough to beat with an electric.  200+ miles/tank @ 85mph, 300+ miles/tank @ 55 mph.  "Instant" refill at any gas station.  The heat pouring off the engine doesn't really matter at 60 mph; also air turbulence at 60 mph is as loud (or more so) than the engine; and you rarely shift on the highway.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

s44captain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »

I've been riding gas bikes since 1968 and electrics since my first homemade one 10 years ago. 2012 was the first year I put more miles on my electric bike than my gas (4000+ on the Zero and just under 1000 on the Buell). The new crop of electric bikes just keep getting more fun to ride and that is the real reason I ride.  I run boats so I don't have a regular 5 days a week commute but if I did I the electric would be a huge winner.  The gas is still nice for those days you want to wander off and have no idea where or how far you are going to explore.  If I was only allowed to have one motorcycle it would be electric......
Current Bikes: 2012 Zero 6S & Buell XB12
Former Bikes: 2009 Brammo & Matchless G85CS

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 11:36:52 PM »

If I was only allowed to have one motorcycle it would be electric......

Most of the motorcycle guys I know have more than one bike. Though sometimes they only have one working bike, or perhaps a fraction of one : )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Nukie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 01:00:23 AM »

My first bikes were Vespa scooters. Still have my Vespa 250cc. I rode them because they made me smile from ear to ear. No shifting, fun, fast, nimble. Twist and go.

I love my new 2013 Zero Z 11.4. I smile from ear to ear every time I ride it. Riding electric takes all the stress away from riding (no shifting, no stopping and filling up for gas, no noise, no vibration, no getting burned by hot mufflers, no oil changes). I do find I concentrate more on my defensive driving and what is going on around me.

Both my scooter and my electric give me all of the pleasure and none of the pains.
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash
Pages: [1]