• April 25, 2024, 01:37:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2013 Zero DS review by Wired.com  (Read 1672 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
2013 Zero DS review by Wired.com
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:32:22 AM »

Here is a review of the 2013 Zero DS by Wired.comhttp://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/04/zero-ds/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

wainair

• View Profile
Re: 2013 Zero DS review by Wired.com
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:03:21 PM »

Not a bad review but I think the author falls into the same old traps that first time EV riders fall into. They try to go way beyond the expected ranges of the bike/vehicle and then they get range anxiety. The DS has great range for an EV but it still isn't a touring bike and he probably could have done a lot better if he had maximized his regenerative braking, coasting, and power conservation. That takes experienced riding and not a first week ride. I was a good 3 months before I was able to maximize the range in my Volt by selectively maximizing my regen. Now I regularly get 55miles range out of my battery when I was only getting 43miles when I first got the car.

Though I suppose it does a service, in that it doesn't over inflate people expectations of what these bikes can do. If your riding is kept under 70-80miles a day I don't think you'll never be disappointed with the range of the DS 11kw pack.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:38:48 PM »

I think the reviewer just didn't manage his power like an owner with more experience would have.  This Sunday I rode from Pacifica (located a few miles south of SF) to Alice's, charged up with my 900 watt charger for 2 hours and returned via Highway 84 to the coast highway and home along Highway 1.  The distance was 78 miles and when I returned home I still had 4 bars on the fuel gauge.  But I was able to do this by staying off Interstate 280 and riding along its frontage roads instead.  I also followed some Harley baggers down Highway 84 to the coast and that also helped to keep my speed low.  Coming up the coast I was keeping to the 55 mph speed limit.

I think electric motorcycle testers need to not pay so much attention to the manufacturer's advertizing department's hype and more attention to riding smoothly, with an eye to reducing power consumption - if their intent to to go for a long ride and return home without running out of juice.  As I have said before, replacing the 2012's second speedometer, or the 2013's rev counter, with a power (amp) meter would help the rider learn to manage battery power. 

In my opinion, I think the Wired tester could have accomplished his entire ride to Alice's Restaurant and back to SF if he had stayed off the freeway,  picked his route carefully, rode smoothly and just charged at Alice's while he was eating there.  But riding like that might not be as much fun for some people as it is for me.  (I like to stay off the "beaten path".)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:18:58 AM »

I actually liked this review.  It was overall very positive whilst staying realistic and his last paragraph really hit the nail on the head to how I feel when i ride my Zero in traffic "How society should be travelling" etc.

The other thing i find interesting about the latest reviews appearing on the web is the comments.  They have gone from idiots shouting "Electric bikes are slow and rubbish, they suck" to people saying "actually, i quite like the idea of this".  Its a fairly major breakthrough with the increased performance of the MY13's imo.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:38:59 AM »

I like Richard's idea of an ammeter on the dash somewhere.  I think that would be a lot more meaningful information for EV pilots than other indicators.   
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »

I would like the chance to ride that same Zero motorcycle on the same route. 

Based on my experiences with my 12 DS9 I think that I could have easily made that loop with a lunch break at Alice's.   

One more oddity:  the author appears to ride sans gloves.   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:44:24 AM by WindRider »
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »

Strangely, I am in the Bay Area for the week and visited Alice's just last Sunday. However, I'm using my V-Strom 650 since I couldn't get the 2013 DS down here with its current equipment. But I would bet that I could do far better than that journalist based on my Seattle riding already. It doesn't take much to have an efficient ride.

Also, motorcycle journalism is notable for being able to wrench the worst mileage figures out of a bike possible by cranking on them too hard. They typically think a V-Strom makes 45 mpg (regularly 55mpg)!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »

I think the reviewer just didn't manage his power like an owner with more experience would have.

Richard, this is an important point that all reviews have missed so far.  It would be fun to see an article comparing an inexperienced journalist riding to a destination and an experienced electric owner riding to the same destination from the same origin.  That would give a more honest and balanced review (though I agree with the sentiment that this is a good review overall).  It would allow readers to see that a little experience goes a long way when using the new technology.  I wonder if someone can "duplicate" the route in the article and get it published?  (Even if it is a letter to the editor.)
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

TargeT

• $.58 a kWh... and I ride electric?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »

his last paragraph really hit the nail on the head to how I feel when i ride my Zero in traffic "How society should be travelling" etc.

I think this to myself every ride, my other vehicle is a 2010 ford Raptor with a 6.2L engine & full exhaust (no cats).. so it's loud as #$%&.. when I'm on the zero I constantly think of all that wasted energy put out in noise and heat down my tail pipe... the Zero just seems like such a smarter way to travel (especially how I use it, a commuter to and from work).. of course not worrying about the 10.4mpg at $3.95/gal is pretty nice too... haha

the contrast of the two vehicles makes driving both more fun... I have the loudest truck on the island and the quietest bike...
8)
I wonder where I can charge my batteries from at work...

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 03:05:07 AM »

his last paragraph really hit the nail on the head to how I feel when i ride my Zero in traffic "How society should be travelling" etc.

I think this to myself every ride, my other vehicle is a 2010 ford Raptor with a 6.2L engine & full exhaust (no cats).. so it's loud as #$%&.. when I'm on the zero I constantly think of all that wasted energy put out in noise and heat down my tail pipe... the Zero just seems like such a smarter way to travel (especially how I use it, a commuter to and from work).. of course not worrying about the 10.4mpg at $3.95/gal is pretty nice too... haha

the contrast of the two vehicles makes driving both more fun... I have the loudest truck on the island and the quietest bike...
8)

I'm right with you with an F250 with a 460ci. I'm in the process of getting 6 yds of superloam with it, though. That would be a lot of trips on the DS :)
Pages: [1]