• April 25, 2024, 03:03:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 2-4 BMS Throttle Disable Fault Code  (Read 10659 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: 2-4 BMS Throttle Disable Fault Code
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 07:18:30 AM »

Any terminal emulator will work fine, ex Tera Term.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 05:59:05 AM »

The Zero tech at the local dealership replaced the BMS yesterday, I collected the battery pack today and went for a short test ride. Things seem fine  :)
bikeless

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »

Awesome, craigq. I hope that fixes your problems for good so you can get some riding in : p
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »

Key in the "on" position, notice the exclamation mark warning indicator flashing in a pattern. 2 blinks, pause, then 4 blinks. This doesn't look good:

It happened to me now (13200km) :'(

I drove the bike 30km on Saturday connected it as always to charge and at Monday morning it didn't work!

The Sevcon is fine, I have the tools to test it. All values look fine.

The BMS don't display any fault (LEDs at the Battery pack) the battery voltage is up. If the bike is off it even blinks the BMS OK information.
When charging it looks normal the 1 to 4 LEDs and than all 4 (full) I am not sure but it should stop doing this and blinking different at the end?

Mine seems not to stop!

It's really weird.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »

Get in contact with Zero, if it's the 2-4 code they'll likely remotely diagnose it as a bad BMS board based on your observations/testing. The also probably know the range of serial numbers affected, as part of their NHTSA recall procedure: NHTSA Campaign Number: 12V310000

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=12V310000
bikeless

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 08:23:20 PM »

Thanks Craigq,

I have done the waterproofing recall, but maybe some corrosion is under the protection paste!

I will see what turns out!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »

This is very slack on zero part, becoming a dealer should be supported with every diagnostic aid, cables software, etc, and every windows PC comes with hyper terminal as part of the windows OS, and can DL many free terminal software of the net.

Zero needs to standardize there cable to be USB or blue tooth for software updates by dealer or end user, every other smart consumer products allow this.

I think most zero customers would have more technical knowledge than the dealers, these bikes are more computer than mechanical.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »

USB is a home standard, CAN-Bus OBDII is a automobile standard, I suspect Zero chose that because dealers understand it better, and the Sevcon requires it anyway (least from 2012 bikes onwards)

Problem is that EV's are so radically different that OBDII does'nt really apply to them, but as the major components of the Zero still need to talk CAN-Bus then it kinda makes sense to break that out.

You only need an IXXAT interface to talk to the bike, and they are not that expensive in the world of workshop tools.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

brubaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »

I've also experienced the 2-4 BMS Throttle Disable fault code on the instrument panel on my 2012 Zero S ZF6.  The BMS LEDs all indicate normal behavior both during charging state and in running state. 

It functioned normally right up to the point that on Monday morning, I took it off the charge and then hit the error code when flipping off the kill switch.

Mine has about 4000 miles on it, and had the firmware updated and BMS waterproofing performed a couple of months ago. Up to this point, it had been running flawlessly and I've never experienced indications of the "glitch" or "glitch 2.0".  I always run in sport mode as my daily commute is only about 11 miles round trip and mostly speeds under 50mph.

My dealer AF1 in Austin has been great to work with (even over the holidays).  They've picked up my cycle this morning and will run some diagnostics to see if they can try to reset it or if I'll need to have the board replaced.

I find it really helpful when people post any issues along with resolution that they experience so I'll post an update when I it's resolved. 

Here's to many more electric miles for us all in 2014!

brubaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 01:21:16 AM »

Just wanted to post a quick followup.  I'm back on the road again, but they did end up having to replace the board.  Since it was at the dealer, I ended up getting the most recent updated firmware at the same time.

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 03:01:57 AM »

I received the recall notice today in the mail for this fault. It's too bad it was never repaired while I owned the bike. I've PM'd the new owner...
bikeless

eyeinsky

• View Profile
    • Elevation Aerial Operation
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 05:10:32 AM »

I received the recall notice today in the mail for this fault. It's too bad it was never repaired while I owned the bike. I've PM'd the new owner...

Looking into it

Thanks Craig

bumblebee

• 2013 Zero S
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 03:04:16 AM »

Same problem too.  Happened today after work.  Nothing like calling your wife to get the truck and buying a ramp to hall this thing on a nice warm summer day. Many problems with this bike: 1st it was in the shop for firmware recall,  then it had a charge controller problem (replaced ccu twice), now its the BMS board.  I was close to filing New Hampshire lemon law papers a $50 fee before, now I will have to do it.  Can't trust this bike if it has problems as much as this.

As of today its been more than 30 days in the shop for warranty repairs and I have had it.
2013 Zero S
Shoei GT Air Helmet
Hit Air Jacket

Use to own Hodaka Road Toad and a 1965 Triumph Bonaville, also Honda 4cyln 650cc

pmm1018

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 06:08:35 PM »

I left my 2012 Zero S ZF9 plugged in and unused for 1.5 months while I was on vacation.  First time out for a ride afterwards and I get the 2-4 error flashing at me.  Crap!  Thank you to all the previous posts here in this forum for advice and info.

I called Zero at 7am the next morning and was greeted by Chris who was very knowledgeable and helpful.  He said I had no recourse but to replace the BMS circuit board. 

Some history:  I bought this bike used on Craigslist about 3 months ago with 1,800 miles on it and have loved it ever since (despite the breakdowns prior to the firmware upgrade for the motor encoder position signal drift).  The BMS board was weatherized per the recall back in Oct. 2012 but Chris said it is still prone to corrosion.  The new boards are fully encapsulated in weatherproof goo.

Despite being 6 months beyond the 2-year warranty, Chris is mailing me a new BMS circuit board at no cost.  I will have to cover the estimated one hour of labor to have it installed at the dealer.

While I'm bummed at missing a week or two of our rarely nice Seattle weather, I'm happy with how Zero has handled this small setback for me.  While I only have 3,800 miles on it now, I hope to get to 100,000 miles in the years ahead so I can justify buying another one!  :-)

bumblebee

• 2013 Zero S
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 03:31:19 AM »

Hey bike is fixed now with new BMS board guess next time I will spend the fifty and put papers in as soon as there is a problem.   ;D

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:58:51 AM by bumblebee »
2013 Zero S
Shoei GT Air Helmet
Hit Air Jacket

Use to own Hodaka Road Toad and a 1965 Triumph Bonaville, also Honda 4cyln 650cc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4