• April 20, 2024, 10:25:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rider dimensions (height and weight) vs. range on a 2013 Zero S.  (Read 2550 times)

SK

• View Profile

Does anyone know what the range estimates of the Zero motorcycles is based upon, w/ regard to height and especially weight of the rider. The Zero S has the 2 different battery options, and the ZF11.4 has 32 pounds greater curb weight (387 v. 355) and therefore 32 pounds less carrying capacity (368 v. 400).

I am wondering since I am a larger size individual (6'3", 240 pounds) considering purchase of the ZF11.4. I want to assume that there is some average generic rider size/weight that these specs are based upon, though I suppose it is possible that they are based upon max carrying capacity. I would be sadly disappointed if the range drastically plummets when the carried load is increased. I know that it must, in some degree.

Does anyone have any insight or data regarding specified range versus weight of the rider?

Cheers,

SK

spelunker

• View Profile
Rider dimensions (height and weight) vs. range on a 2013 Zero S.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:07:41 AM »

I am about 6'-0" and weigh 237. I commute daily 31 miles one way on my 11.4 S and go about 65 MPH on the freeway most of the way. When I get to my destination, I still have about half my charge left.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Rider dimensions (height and weight) vs. range on a 2013 Zero S.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:15:56 AM »

I don't think the weight of the rider has much to do with the range, unless you do a lot of start-and-stop riding, or pull a lot of hills during your ride.  I believe that the bulk of the rider has more to do with range than just weight.  High speeds affect power usage the most and the aerodynamics of the motorcycle affect the power required to hold high speeds and therefore the range you can get out of your battery pack. Installing an aerodynamic windshield to block your upper body's curves will likely provide the most benefit with regard to improving your range.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:03:31 AM »

One interesting thing I noticed about the 2013s is that the S and DS ranges are no longer identical ( about 9 miles shorter on the DS). I think the final drive ratio is the same now, unlike in 2012. I guess that taller suspension makes a lot of difference, though why more in 2013 than in 2012 I don't know.

I agree with Richard, though; on flat land at constant speed, the rider's weight is probably not a significant factor. The rider's height/width might affect aero, but the windshield should minimize that effect.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

JefRo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:16:36 AM »

According to the 2013 draft owners manual the DS has a smaller front sprocket (25T for DS, 28T for S) which would yield a lower final ratio.This and the bigger block dual sport tires which increase rolling resistance could account for lower range. However, I really like the increased acceleration the lower ratio provides on the '13DS. Haven't ridden the S but I assume it has a taller ratio. A few posts of rpm/speed ratios can verify gearing ratio differences. I am at about 3800 rpm @60 mph indicated for the DS.

SK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:26:43 AM »

I asked Zero the same question and here is their rep's reply:

"We did all of our testing based on average rider weight.  While I don't have data to pair up to the effects of range what I do know is the rider weight effect on range is not as important as terrain, tire pressure, wind resistance and cold temperatures."

SK

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »

SK,

I just bought a '12 DS9.

I only have 200 miles on it and don't have any empirical data but I just ordered a windshield because my impression is the old story of pushing a sheet of plywood through the air. I'm 6'3"/220 and don't curl up into a very aerodynamic ball. There's a noticeable sigh of relief from the bike when I get into a racing crouch and some increase of speed.

Weight may not be primary but I guarantee there'll be a hell of a difference between you and me and a 95 pounder.

I'm hoping I see a range increase as it warms up.

I think the key is that all the factors are incremental and there's no silver bullet.

CliC

• View Profile
Re: Re: Rider dimensions (height and weight) vs. range on a 2013 Zero S.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »

According to the 2013 draft owners manual the DS has a smaller front sprocket (25T for DS, 28T for S) which would yield a lower final ratio.This and the bigger block dual sport tires which increase rolling resistance could account for lower range. However, I really like the increased acceleration the lower ratio provides on the '13DS. Haven't ridden the S but I assume it has a taller ratio. A few posts of rpm/speed ratios can verify gearing ratio differences. I am at about 3800 rpm @60 mph indicated for the DS.

I thought I read the ratio info on Zero's web site, so I'll have to go look again. The interesting part is that the 12DS does have the shorter ratio, and dual-sport tires, and I think my manual says range is the same as on the S. The only way for me to know for sure would be for me to go on a few rides with an S owner.
Ride log

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »

I thought I read the ratio info on Zero's web site, so I'll have to go look again. The interesting part is that the 12DS does have the shorter ratio, and dual-sport tires, and I think my manual says range is the same as on the S. The only way for me to know for sure would be for me to go on a few rides with an S owner.
Ride log

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »

Ride log
Pages: [1]