• May 04, 2024, 03:05:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: 2012 S zf6 Motor cutting out  (Read 15090 times)

swiftsam

• View Profile
Re: 2012 S zf6 Motor cutting out
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »

Has anything new happened for anyone on this front?  I've been updating my post earlier in this thread with every "glitch" incident I've experienced in the last 4 months. 

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2800.msg12713#msg12713

It has gotten really bad in the last 3 days and I'm thinking I won't be able to ignore / work around it much longer.  My dealership is far away and I don't feel like Zero/my dealership has a solution anyway, so I don't know what to do next.  I called Zero once a while ago, but they never returned the call.  Any new info to help direct my plan of action?
2013 S ZF14.4

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:10 PM »

swift,

I'm following up with the tech today. Haven't heard anything since mid May, and that was just to say that a new motor was on its way. I'm not convinced the problem is the motor, but if they need to try that first then so be it.

I'm getting more frequent glitches now - they've increased in frequency from a couple of glitches every hundred miles in mid April to multiple glitches every ride now. I'm fortunate that I rarely deal with much traffic on my commute, but the glitches have moved beyond an annoyance to a safety issue IMO. I hate doing it, but there are some trips where I leave the bike at home because a glitch on the planned route and traffic could be dangerous to myself or other vehicles, ie no runoff or shoulder.

Here are my (non-mutually-exclusive) options as I see them:

1. Zero repairs the bike, either with a traveling tech or I ship it back to Zero.
2. I transport the bike to a nearby dealer (~200 miles away) and have them fix the bike. I don't have a high degree of confidence in a dealer diagnosis and repair.
3. I educate myself on how the controller operates, acquire tools to diagnose the problem, and correct it myself. Share information with the community so others can do the same.
4. File a safety complaint at safercar.gov, which may lead to a second glitch recall.

I may attempt to escalate the issue within Zero .. I have no insight as to whether they're working furiously behind the scenes to fix the problem, service personnel and/or dealers are hoping the owners just go away, or at the highest levels of the company Zero wishes the owners would just go away. Frustrating

I thought that perhaps the scope was more limited than last year.. and this may well be the case. I went back through this thread and collected all the incident reports and came up with more than I thought.

Motor cutout while in operation

kcoplan, 2012 S ZF6, roughness and cutouts
protomech, 2012 S ZF9, frequent roughness and cutouts, motor oscillation
swiftsam, 2012 S ZF6, frequent roughness and cutouts
expevride, 2012 DS, one reported glitch
RickSteeb, 2012 DS ZF6, one reported cutout
Bdavis, 2012 S ZF6, multiple glitches, possibly returned to dealer
rotoiti, 2012 DS ZF9, multiple glitches and cutouts, motor oscillation
ColoPaul, 2012 S ZF6, high-speed roughness, occasional dead starts and one low-speed cutout

Dead starts only, no reported cutouts

Larry295, 2012 S ZF6, multiple dead starts and roughness
Richard230, 2012 S ZF9, occasional dead starts
Lipo423, 2012 S ZF9, occasional dead starts

Power reduction but not cutout

Noiseboy, 2012 S ZF9, significant loss of power, possibly throttle related?
mehve, 2012 S ZF9 (sold?), significant loss of power
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 02:24:21 AM »

Squeak squeak.

Got a call back from the tech today. He says there is some type of issue with the motor supplier - Motenergy - and it may be another month or two until they have motors. I'm glad Terry wasn't waiting a couple months for a new motor on his cross-country trip!

There is a dealer that is relatively close (~100 miles away) that I'm going to get the bike down to for service. Zero's techs will be able to log in remotely and pull some information off the bike, and between the Zero techs and the dealer support guys they may be able to diagnose and correct the problem if it is not a motor issue.

Updates to follow.

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2013, 02:35:08 AM »

I called and left the Zero customer service number a message and they got right back to me.  I've got an appt at my "local" dealer 150 miles away in Charlotte on Tuesday next week for a remote diagnostics session with the Zero tech guy in Atlanta.  Hopefully I'll get it fixed up, learn something in the process, and report back on my success when I get home.
2013 S ZF14.4

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2013, 03:51:03 AM »

BTW, Terry went through two motors that I know of.  Both times he blew the motor bearings.  I believe one time was around 16K miles when he was heading to my  home to visit and the most recent time was on his trip back to Florida, with something like 29,000 miles on the clock.  But his motors no doubt lead a much tougher life and were exposed to much higher loads than any of ours - especially mine.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2013, 04:41:42 AM »

The stock Motenergy ME0913 motor has a recommended 5000 RPM maximum.
http://www.motenergy.com/me0913.html

2012 Zero S rear tire is 130/70-17, approximately 24.2" tall or 76.0" around. 132 tooth rear sprocket and 28 tooth front sprocket is gearing of 4.71:1. At 70 mph our bike motors are theoretically spinning at 70 mph * 1 hour/60 mins * 5280 feet / 1 mile * 12 in / 1 foot * 4.71 gearing * 1 revolution/76.0" = 4581 RPM.

At 88 mph (vmax, stock) it's 5759 RPM.

At 100 mph .. with 25 tooth front sprocket from the DS as Terry has often used .. it's 7330 RPM. From Terry's photos he apparently rides around at 100 mph all the time, with one hand using his phone to take photos : )

Zero heavily modifies the motors for durability and cooling and likely for higher RPM operation. So I don't know if Terry's motor failures are typical (the most recent one he placed the blame on an improperly installed bolt when he modified the motor sprocket) .. but it's possible that the bearings need to be replaced or repacked every so often.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »

Interesting numbers there protomech.  I doubt Zero have modified it enough for a sustained 50% over rev!

I was told that they expect new bearings to be required after 100k miles which I find optimistic as the motor is exposed to alot of mud and water etc. even if it is sealed.  There is a thread on endless sphere where a guy blew a stock ME0913 with 1000A and took it apart to learn about it.  Those photos may reveal more information about the bearing.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2013, 04:53:23 PM »

Terry was running the 25 to 132 for a while but for the last time (Vetter Run) it is 28 to 98 so the rotation is much lower now(but the Fan Speed too), but you are right all his load will be a lot more stress as we do. So I would claim the system really reliable.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

kcoplan

• View Profile
Now I am getting the roughness and backwards running, too.
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 08:54:35 PM »

Was away for a week, so no riding since May 30.  This morning I had a cutout while going down a hill on a back street, when I rebooted, the motor ran really rough, when I rebooted again, the bike ran backwards.  Then I rebooted while rolling down the hill, and the bike ran fine for the rest of the trip in to work.

The Zero East Coast rep says I am authorized to bring the bike back to the dealer and have them ship it to CA while I am on vacation later this summer.  I guess today's cutout proves its not the grip heaters after all.

--Karl

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »

And it also proves that Zero is still tying to figure out what is going on. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »

when I rebooted again, the bike ran backwards.

Wow that is crazy! I have installed a momentary switch to run my bike backwards. But it is not easy to control a bike backwards.

Never want to experience a hectic reboot at a traffic light and then your bike surprise you by running backwards  :o 
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2013, 06:31:53 PM »

Switched on the bike today and the motor whirred continuously. Switched it off and back on, same thing a couple of times. Finally it did the "normal" (for me?) half second of whir then silence.

Hit 10k miles on the bike today too. No glitches after the first startup continuous whir glitch.

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »

I took mine to the dealership in Charlotte yesterday and came home empty handed.  I got it there right when they opened at 9am and had also scheduled a remote diagnostics session with the East Coast tech rep.  At 5pm when I hadn't heard back, I knew it wasn't an easy fix.  The dealership was useless in explaining the situation but the Zero rep was great in talking me through what they've looked at and what the ideas are.  They have good data on the history of faults and in my case it's all about the encoder, sometimes experiencing faults once per second.  One theory is that my bike has poor "frame isolation" which means the frame isn't sufficiently insulated from the battery so it's acting as a big antenna and introducing electrical noise to the controller.  Another is something simple like a loose connection on the encoder causing it to jiggle on and off line.  That seems less likely to me.  He mentioned having it shipped back to the factory as a potential next step once the engineers review the logs in more depth.

I appreciate the difficulty of the engineering problem and it makes me feel much better to get the full story from the Zero rep, but meanwhile I'm without my only transportation and it sounds like it could be a while.

2013 S ZF14.4

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 08:02:04 PM »

BTW, Terry went through two motors that I know of.  Both times he blew the motor bearings.  I believe one time was around 16K miles when he was heading to my  home to visit and the most recent time was on his trip back to Florida, with something like 29,000 miles on the clock.  But his motors no doubt lead a much tougher life and were exposed to much higher loads than any of ours - especially mine.   ;)

Hey Richard the first time was right at 20,000 after my NorCal tour, and it was a motor bearing.  But in Florida, almost every mile was with a passenger, and with the size 6 controller for most of it, and way overweighted almost it's entire life, and the RPM limit turned up to 7500 (<--- don't do this! Bad Brandon Miller for talking me into it!), I'd say that's pretty good.  I'm used to breaking Yamaha R1's and Kawi ZX-10's, the Zero is a lot more reliable than both of those were.  Under normal riding, I'd say the motor would be good for 4-5 times that abuse, maybe more.  Or somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 riding miles or more.

The recent problem was my fault.  The sprocket bolt was a little loose.  I tried to take it off and it turned a few times but the locktite got harder as the bolt came out, and one day with the tools I had couldn't get it out anymore, so I put it back in without getting it all the way tight.  After 3000 miles the horizontal movement on the shaft, wore completely through the keyway.  Either contact with the swingarm bolt or an off balance shaft due to a non centered sprocket caused the cooling fan clips to come off and to make contact with the motor housing in the back.  The motor is fine, just needs a new fan.

At 100 mph .. with 25 tooth front sprocket from the DS as Terry has often used .. it's 7330 RPM. From Terry's photos he apparently rides around at 100 mph all the time, with one hand using his phone to take photos : )

Zero heavily modifies the motors for durability and cooling and likely for higher RPM operation. So I don't know if Terry's motor failures are typical (the most recent one he placed the blame on an improperly installed bolt when he modified the motor sprocket) .. but it's possible that the bearings need to be replaced or repacked every so often.

See above, no not typical.  Stock motor is very reliable.  Replacing the bearings at 50,000 miles might be good preventative maintenance, but you could just wait for them to start making noise too.

Terry was running the 25 to 132 for a while but for the last time (Vetter Run) it is 28 to 98 so the rotation is much lower now(but the Fan Speed too), but you are right all his load will be a lot more stress as we do. So I would claim the system really reliable.

Exactly.

Ok so I haven't had a glitch in almost a year, maybe 9 months.  It was putting in the size 6 controller that fixed it once and for all for me.

My glitches started right away on the warmest days early, and a little later on cooler mornings.

It can be fixed by getting the dealer to make sure the firmware is upgraded, and also having them set the motor offset to be in the center of the vector graph, and calibrating the sine and cosine from the encoder, which once set the new firmware accounts for minor encoder drift.

Why is it worse when the controller gets hot?  I don't know.  But it is.  Perhaps more "noise" on the signal, causing the chance of it being above 4 volts on crest or under 1 volt on trough and therefore out of range.  When this happens, the controller faults and cuts out and needs to be reset.

So 1) see the local dealer and get the offset checked.  I'm doing a trip up the east coast in a week From Florida to New York, then west to Washington State and have the tools with me to do this if anyone is along my route.

And 2) and what I would really recommend anyway, is to get the size 6 controller upgrade from Hollywood Electrics.  From all the people that have had the upgrade, I don't think anyone has had a glitch since.  The size 6 controller has a little more thermal capability.  Plus you won't be upset with the additional power your new Zero has either!

Or 3) upgrade to a 2013.  There are numerous reasons to do this.  Blue tooth interface, better brakes, almost double the power and torque, higher voltage battery pack and faster charging, adjustable regen and more? The list goes on and on.  I suggest this to whoever can qualify for the upgrade.  Perhaps Harlan at Hollywood Electrics, can give you a special deal considering your situation.  Anyone interested should call him and talk to him 1 on 1.  Unfortunately I don't have his number off hand, but hopefully someone here can post it.

Oh did I say more range and more efficient on the highway? 90 miles vs 60 miles range at freeway speed?  If I didn't have thousands of hours modifying my 2012 to be just how I want it, selling my 2012 for a 25-50% loss and upgrading to a new 2013 would be my choice.

Hope that helps!

Terry

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:20:09 PM by offthegrid »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 02:55:45 AM »

Swift Sam wrote
They have good data on the history of faults and in my case it's all about the encoder, sometimes experiencing faults once per second.  One theory is that my bike has poor "frame isolation" which means the frame isn't sufficiently insulated from the battery so it's acting as a big antenna and introducing electrical noise to the controller.  Another is something simple like a loose connection on the encoder causing it to jiggle on and off line.  That seems less likely to me.  He mentioned having it shipped back to the factory as a potential next step once the engineers review the logs in more depth.

That's exactly what they have been telling me, and it looks like I am shipping my bike west at the end of the month.

--Karl
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10