• April 24, 2024, 08:06:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2014 models  (Read 4070 times)

Tudor

• View Profile
2014 models
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

I know this is way early to start a topic about next years model range, but I just can't help it. I just recently took the decision to postpone the buying of a zero until next year. It's frustrating but I'll try comforting myself by looking forward of having a 2014 FX instead.

If you don't mind, lets speculate about coming 2014 models:

What will happen with the current range, S, DS, FX, MX, XU?
The model range seems solid to me, I see no need to introduce a new model (for the adult market, but maybe a junior MX) and the MX, FX and DS can continue to coexist.

What does zero needs to update/change?
They introduced their own sealed motor this year - what will be next step? Gearing? Some kind of 2-speed, high-low gears or will they keep it direct? ABS on S/DS?

Batteries - what can be expected of batteries in the same price range as of today?

Also, - what do you want/hope to see in next years model range?

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: 2014 models
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:19:08 PM »

Zero needs to step up to a Sevcon Size 6 controller (or build one in-house) for more power on their top bike. Not that the 2013 bikes NEED more power, at least across the board. Their 2013 motors are fine, I imagine they'll carry them for a few years. Perhaps cooling tweaks coupled with a bigger controller.

I'd love to see Zero integrate J1772 and more powerful AC charging. 3 kW should be standard, and 7 kW should be optional. Needs an obvious external end-of-charge indicator so the bike can be unplugged.

Faster Level 3 charging will require higher voltage battery packs. Most commercial chargers are limited to 100-125A, so Zero is already charging at 100A = 10 kW for the ZF11.4. A 200V pack could do 20-25 kW. Zero has a couple of years to get this right as L3 chargers settle on a standard.

There's already been a significant drop in highway power consumption from 2012 to 2013. Zero could probably cut this another 20% with fairings.

Current L1/L2 charge: 1.3 kW / 110 Wh/mile (mixed) = 12 miles/hour (100 miles in 8.5h)
Current L3 charge: 10 kW / 142 Wh/mile (hwy) = 70 miles/hour (100 miles in 1.43h)

Proposed L2 charge (standard): 3 kW / 100 Wh/mile (mixed) = 30 miles/hour (100 miles in 3.3h)
Proposed L2 charge (optional): 7 kW / 100 Wh/mile (hwy) = 70 miles/hour (100 miles in 1.43h)
Proposed L3 charge: 20 kW / 120 Wh/mile (hwy) = 166 miles/hour (100 miles in 0.6h)

25 kW charge (210 miles/hour) would put us in the same ballpark as Tesla Model S with a 100 kW supercharge (250 hwy miles/hour) and far beyond the Nissan Leaf with 48 kW CHAdeMO (~110 hwy miles/hour).

I'd like to see Zero retain the existing battery module system and system voltage for a year or two. 3 different power trains and battery voltages in 3 years is enough.

Edit: Zero also needs ABS, at least as an option. The next new electric bike I buy will have ABS.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:25:18 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »

I spoke with Zero about their 2014 lineup while at the NYC motorcycle show and they said there will not be another quantum leap in technology for the 2014 lineup.  In other words, if you get a 2013 model, your bike won't be blown away by next year's lineup (like 2011-12 and 12-13). 

They will certainly make advancements and improvements, but they will probably work more on perfecting (and hopefully making less expensive) the current form of the motorcycles.

Unless, of course, they do make a breakthrough then all bets are off.   ;)
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:59:09 PM »

My guess is that Zero will be adding ABS soon.  Not because of a big customer demand, as it will raise prices at least $500 or more, but because the Euro regulators will demand it for the bike to be sold there.

When I spoke with Richard Walker last summer, he mentioned that they had a marketing and vehicle improvement plan that extended into the 2015 model year. I got no hints what that might be, though.  I am with benswing. I believe that the bikes will keep on improving each year, but I doubt any really big jumps in performance, technology or features will be offered next year - which might be a good thing for the company and consumers.  Not everyone want to be an "early adopter".  However, they could put a little more effort into the chassis and suspension, polish up the accessory and parts department a bit, and work on dealer expansion and education.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »

Here's my wishes.

Some of you will remember that I originally wanted to buy an FX and then swap out he suspension with an XU providing a lower dirt bike with all of the power and performance of the FX. I found that I wouldn't have enough wheel clearance with the XU suspension so I'm riding a stock FX now (except for changes in tires and wider rear rim).

However, Zero is eliminating a significant portion of potential customers by not having a lower "stand-over height" high performance street legal dirt bike. Basically an FX that is lower for shorter riders.

My suggestions: All of the power train of the FX, frame, and geometry. A 17" rear wheel with wider tires and keep the 19" front wheel of the XU but with a wider tire. Then use a shorter high quality suspension, front and rear, with just enough clearance for an upgrade to good dirt riding knobbies (Zero seems to forget that we don't all stick with the tires they provide).

I was amazed and had a good laugh when the motorcycle mechanic near my shop took my new FX for a spin. He is short but has ridden all his life and at one time an accomplished motorcycle racer. He had difficulty getting completely up on the bike, so with it leaning over toward him, and a leg up across the seat, he opened the throttle and jumped up on the bike as it took off. If I had done what he did I would have been laying on the pavement, watching my new bike crash a few feet away!  :'(

I would guess that Yamaha has sold millions of TW200's over the many years of its production because riders wives and girlfriends can straddle the bike and go dirt riding with them. That goes for short guys as well.

So, Zero, lets see a lower FX next year! 8)

Trikester

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
2014 models
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:23:21 AM »

I would like to have ABS on my next Zero!

From January 2016 ABS will be required above 125 cc with EU. Estimated 1/4 of 5.000 fatal accidents in Europe 2011 could have been avoided with ABS.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:10:26 AM »

Zero, please add hazard lights for us lane splitters.
+1 on ABS, but only use the good stuff!
more cargo options for all street models
+1 on L2 3kw charging
Add a model with fairings
passenger pegs on XU and FX
Once you go EV, gas is history!

dubster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:51:51 AM »

protomech:very good points!

I talked to a Zero technician last and he mentioned the Size 6 Sevcon controller for 2014

this was of the record but it seems that they are thinking about that
greetings from Belgium

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:53:37 AM »

More cargo options
More accessories that add value
Better suspension
Faster charging
More battery capacity if possible
Lower price
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 04:05:56 AM »

More cargo options
More accessories that add value
Better suspension
Faster charging
More battery capacity if possible
Lower price

It's that lower price request that is the hard nut to crack.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »

More international dealers, specifically AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, ASIA.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:06 AM »

[/quote]

It's that lower price request that is the hard nut to crack.   ;)
[/quote]

Yes, but if the price point were lower a lot more riders would consider Zero and if volumes can go up substantially then costs / unit can come down.

It is one of those Chicken/Egg problems.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »

More international dealers, specifically AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, ASIA.

+++++
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »

Glad to hear Zero is considering model stability.  Getting a new bike every two years is a lot easier than every year.

I am sure Harlan will be doing a -6 controller so we all have access if we choose.  Please feel free to chime in here Harlan if you can talk about your plans.

Faster charging is a bit of the chicken/egg thing as well.  I've had to look for 1772 L2 chargers for the Tesla and, unless you live in a forward thinking area (Canada, California) they are few, far between and low current.  I would think it would be hard for Zero to spend a lot of base cost dollars to put bigger on board chargers on their bikes for a small portion of the market.  That will change with time but perhaps it only makes sense as an option today.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 11:14:12 PM »

They are already make a semi-dirt bike with a low seat Trikester, the DS.  The amount of people that would want a proper off road capable electric bike with low ground clearance is very small indeed.  Just look at KTM, they are probably the company most famous in the world for dirt bikes and even their 125cc model is very tall.

I had this discussion with Zero's UK Rep a couple of weeks ago and he said they have no plans currently for ABS, its just too expensive.  I mentioned fairings and he thought that was also unlikely in the mid-term future.  Interestingly he doesn't expect prices to come down, the reason being that Zero know full well that the major ICE companies are quietly developing electric bikes and when they do release them Zero will never be able to compete on price.  So Zero will continue to innovate and produce a premium product for people that will pay to have the best of the best.  The Ducati/MV Agusta of the EV world you might say.  Notice that Tesla have discontinued the cheapest model in their range because of lack of interest.

Size 6 would seem like an easy option but does the new motor have the cooling capacity in its current guise?  I would expect further development and more power in 2015.
Pages: [1] 2