• April 26, 2024, 09:56:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero test drive  (Read 1242 times)

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
Zero test drive
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:07:58 AM »

I took a nice test ride on a 2012 Zero S ZF9 today around Amsterdam. I was hoping to go for a ride on the 2013 DS they also had on display but that was not possible. I took it for about 50km along the Amstel river and back via some smaller villages. The bike is a little faster than my old Vectrix but the chassis seems less stable. I think that the 2012 S is a bit too light and small for me but the 2013 DS looks larger so I am definitely coming back for a test ride on that as soon as it is possible! The dealer (Motoport Amsterdam) would be okay to trade in my Vectrix if it would come to a deal which is good.
I am also still eying the Brammo Empulse but it could be a while before that is for sale here. Probably the Empulse arrives in the EU when Zero will announce their 2014 bikes so my choice will be even more difficult.
I had a test ride on the Enertia last summer and if I compare that with the Zero than I am sure that the Zero is a bit faster but that the Enertia chassis felt better.

But in all a positive experience and now I can relate better to you lucky Zero owners!
Even if it makes the choice for my next bike a lot harder...

My wife took this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/12474118@N06/8611632844#
Edit: link was not working
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:15:20 AM by kingcharles »
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Zero test drive
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:41:06 AM »

I have test ridden the Vectrix when it first came out in the U.S. and of course I own a 2012 Zero S, too.  I think your observations are correct.  The Vectrix was very stable, especially for a scooter platform, but it was definitely not "flickable".  The Zero is kind of "squirrelly" at high speed when going around bumpy corners, but it is great around town, where its quick handling is a positive trait.  I hear that the 2013 models have a larger chassis and should handle better.  However, the Zero is much faster than the Vectrix that I rode, which topped out at 60 mph. Plus, the Vectrix's range really dropped when taken on the freeway.  The early model that I rode was good for about only 30 miles under normal riding conditions.  I would say it had similar performance and range as the "classic" Enertia.

I am really looking forward to reading an instrumented test and objective comparison of the Zero S and the base Empulse models.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:36:25 AM »

I took a nice test ride on a 2012 Zero S ZF9 today around Amsterdam. I was hoping to go for a ride on the 2013 DS they also had on display but that was not possible. I took it for about 50km along the Amstel river and back via some smaller villages. The bike is a little faster than my old Vectrix but the chassis seems less stable. I think that the 2012 S is a bit too light and small for me but the 2013 DS looks larger so I am definitely coming back for a test ride on that as soon as it is possible! The dealer (Motoport Amsterdam) would be okay to trade in my Vectrix if it would come to a deal which is good.
I am also still eying the Brammo Empulse but it could be a while before that is for sale here. Probably the Empulse arrives in the EU when Zero will announce their 2014 bikes so my choice will be even more difficult.
I had a test ride on the Enertia last summer and if I compare that with the Zero than I am sure that the Zero is a bit faster but that the Enertia chassis felt better.

But in all a positive experience and now I can relate better to you lucky Zero owners!
Even if it makes the choice for my next bike a lot harder...

My wife took this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/12474118@N06/8611632844#
Edit: link was not working

Any info WHEN we can test ride the 2013 models anywhere in Europe ? I heard the first container is arriving April 22. That would be to late for me as I am in Europe mid April only.
Found that some dealers do not reply to my email inquiries if they stock Zeros or not. Seem they are quite slack on emailing and customer service !?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:33 AM »

Any info WHEN we can test ride the 2013 models anywhere in Europe ? I heard the first container is arriving April 22. That would be to late for me as I am in Europe mid April only.
Found that some dealers do not reply to my email inquiries if they stock Zeros or not. Seem they are quite slack on emailing and customer service !?

I was told "soon" and they would call or e-mail me as soon as it was possible. The strange thing was that they had a 2013 DS on display but it was not allowed to ride it. Maybe there is still homologation to sort out for the EU?
Motoport Amsterdam is the only dealer in the whole country so yes, Zero needs to address this if they want to sell. I am glad I live close to Amsterdam though ;D
It seems they are focussing on the southern countries first then moving up north. Spain seems to have dealers...
Once you go EV, gas is history!
Pages: [1]