• April 25, 2024, 06:54:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: motor break-in?  (Read 1871 times)

spelunker

• View Profile
motor break-in?
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:09:35 AM »

I'm guessing that because these are electric, there are no break-in procedures with a new bike.  Correct?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: motor break-in?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:54:18 AM »

No. I'm currently on a break-in procedure that essentially goes for 500 or 600 miles, and requires me to ride it normally so the BMS (I think?) learns my riding style and adjusts its operation accordingly. They also reminded me that the battery won't operate at full capacity without the conditioning, and to not run down a charge near to empty, and to always leave it on the charger when possible. So I'm doing that.

They also said to schedule a check-in once the break-in period is done to evaluate its performance presumably.

I'm still waiting on a manual to know the details for sure, but they gave me a checklist of things to mind while breaking the bike in.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »

Oh, but the motor requires no breakin.  ;D  It just works, as far as I can tell.

spelunker

• View Profile
motor break-in?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »

The manual doesn't come with the bike?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »

I don't recall the manual (which was on a flash drive connected to a fob containing my duplicate ignition key) for my 2012 Zero S mentioning anything about breaking-in the bike. I also didn't bother taking my bike in for a 600-mile inspection, as there seemed to be nothing to inspect, other than belt tension and tire pressure - both of which I can easily do myself.  The manual also didn't say a peep about having to "condition" the battery pack, so I didn't do that either and my bike seems to be running as well and as long as anyone's.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:50 AM »

Bare in mind that the brakes, suspension and drive belt will need breaking in whether the motor does or not

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 02:38:24 AM »

Bare in mind that the brakes, suspension and drive belt will need breaking in whether the motor does or not

Also the tires.  I figure that about 100 miles should be enough of a break-in for these parts.  Most riders tend to take it easy for the first few hundred miles on any new bike in any case, as they get used to it.  This is especially true when riding an electric motorcycle as the owner becomes more accustomed to the feel and performance of the bike and especially its range.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 03:05:12 AM »

I didn't get a fob with USB key like I was supposed to. Come to think of it, I'll check with the dealer to see if it's in or they found a PDF copy.

JefRo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »

I didn't get a fob with USB key like I was supposed to. Come to think of it, I'll check with the dealer to see if it's in or they found a PDF copy.
Zero was kind enough to email me a .pdf copy of a draft Owners Manual after I requested one following purchase of my '13DS. There was no mention of a break-in procedure, however there is some useful information in the draft copy. The final version may have break-in procedures much like ICE bikes, mainly for liability issues as new bikes can be unfamiliar
to new owners.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:11:06 AM »

Zero was kind enough to email me a .pdf copy of a draft Owners Manual after I requested one following purchase of my '13DS. There was no mention of a break-in procedure, however there is some useful information in the draft copy. The final version may have break-in procedures much like ICE bikes, mainly for liability issues as new bikes can be unfamiliar
to new owners.

I just got a PDF copy of the manual, also labeled "draft", and yes there's no break-in warning/guidance whatsoever. So I think my dealer is being weirdly cautious with new owners. It's possible they're trying to get an unnecessary service fee out of me, but I'll approach diplomatically.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »

Any chance of uploading draft manual or complete when it released, I have the copy of previous year, but would like 2013.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »

Never broke in any of my Zeros. They just go. ok. Take it easy with a ne bike. Understand it. Get the tire pressures right, charge it every night and off u go.
New tires etc as usual be careful till run in.

And otherwise enjoy!
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »

When I checked the 2013 draft copy it still had stuff pertaining only to earlier models - like moving the motor to adjust the belt and some similar things. ??? I haven't checked lately to see if any of that has been updated.

Trikester

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »

Before the 2012 models came out, when I visited my dealer in December and placed a deposit down on the "S" that I wanted, I asked if they had a brochure for the bike.  Instead they gave me a flash drive with a complete "draft" owner's manual inside - which I promptly downloaded on to paper when I reached home.  When I finally purchased my bike in February 2012, I received the key fob drive with the final manual.  After printing off that version, I compared the two versions, page by page (I am pretty good proofreading other people's documents - if not my own), and discovered that the only changes had been a couple of words on one page and the addition of a ten-page index at the end of the document.

However, if the 2013 draft still shows adjusting the belt by moving the motor, I would hope to see more changes than that in the final version.   ::)
Pages: [1]