• April 24, 2024, 06:16:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mudguard for the DS?  (Read 3886 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Mudguard for the DS?
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:26 AM »

After a recent rain, I have mud splattered on the bike's tail and some of my jacket. I'm a little disappointed that the tail section doesn't have a stock mudguard on it.

Has anyone discovered one that will fit the DS, probably by extending the built-in mudguard?

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Mudguard for the DS?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:21:10 AM »

I was a bit surprised when I saw the fender the first time and couldn't see how it stops the dirt.
So it won't! :'(

But I have a 2012 DS with a bulky fender and still have a (mud) splattered jacked.

I am not sure how much improvement a different mudguard will be. This original thing with its gap is really strange, but I fear it will never be "perfect" :-\
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:22:23 AM »

The 2013's look so much sleeker without that bulky fender that was on the 2012 DS.  I would bet that that fender drags some air as well and that may be one reason why they thinned it out for 2013.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:04:44 AM »

Interesting. The compromise is okay, as the tail (and my goretex jacket) washed off pretty easily. I guess I'll see about something closer to the wheel like a hugger, maybe to extend the existing one. It can't be that hard to fabricate something basic.

Notably, I care because my driveway in the city is on a dirt and gravel alley. :-) So I'll encounter this fairly regularly!

wainair

• View Profile
Mudguard for the DS?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »

Why not fab yourself up something like this ruckus rear fender. This style works well at keeping your back clean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120746877051
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »

Well, one way at least the 2012 is better :)

I went off-roading for the first time last weekend, on some well-worn and muddy 4-wheeler trails. Getting the South Texas clay off the bike was a chore, but man was it fun. I'm a total n00b to dirt riding, but the bike never got stalled or stuck. No mud on my back either.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »

Well, one way at least the 2012 is better :)

I went off-roading for the first time last weekend, on some well-worn and muddy 4-wheeler trails. Getting the South Texas clay off the bike was a chore, but man was it fun. I'm a total n00b to dirt riding, but the bike never got stalled or stuck. No mud on my back either.

Nice! Yes, it makes offroading so much simpler, to not have to kickstart or stall, and the low CG is nice. Aside from the range factor that makes me look for a friend with a truck...

wainair

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »

This type of mud guard is suppose to work well. The type that wrap around the rear of the tire. Some people don't like the look but I think they are cool myself. BMW has this one...

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »

Ah, the infamous "possum scraper" mud guard.  The one that is removed by American owners whenever it is discovered - right before the upper rear fender is removed in order to install a "tail tidy" and relocate the license plate under the passenger's seat, where it acts like a mudguard for the rear shock and can not be seen by the police, especially at night.   ::)   The cops love giving tickets to sportbike owners for this modification and I have seen them pass up Harley riders with do-rags for helmets and no mufflers in order to pick out this infraction.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

wainair

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »

I've never understood the hatred of these when they actually do a good job of keeping your back dry. It seems with some, any European solution is to be scorned regardless if it is better or not. But then again I owned a smart car for a while too and I was amazed at the irrational hatred of that car, mostly from 4x4 pickup drivers. I saw people get raging mad just looking at the car parked! You'd think they would thank me for not using up all the fuel they needed for their 4x4's! Oh well, I guess that's why they call it irrational.  LOL 

That said I think I'd put a "possum scraper" on my bike now that we have possums up here now! Here's one on a multistrada...

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 03:27:29 AM »

Oh, I didn't know the name for those: "possum scraper". I'll see if I can scare one up that fits, thanks!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 03:52:20 AM »

Oh, I didn't know the name for those: "possum scraper". I'll see if I can scare one up that fits, thanks!

A salvage yard or eBay will likely be your friend.  Since few people like their looks, take them off and toss them in a junk closet, my guess is that the price of a "scraper" should be pretty reasonable.  The tough part might be finding one that isn't too wide, as most of the larger bikes that use them have very wide tires, much wider than the rear tire of a Zero. (On a Zero, a wide one would likely act like a space shuttle drag-parachute and not do a thing for its battery pack range.) I would try to find one that came off of a dual-sport bike, something like an older BMW F650GS.  I think my 1997 BMW Funduro had one on its rear wheel. 

I just looked at a 2013 BMW full-line motorcycle brochure and noticed that not one of the bikes shown in the brochure had a "scraper" on the rear wheel. Since I am pretty sure that a couple of their bikes come with that rear fender, it would appear that even BMW doesn't like their looks and takes them off when they photograph the bikes for their U.S. brochure.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »

This may not help you much Brian because I don't know if it could be made to fit your Zero, but here is a fellow who wants to be rid of his "possum scraper".  This is likely about the smallest one that you are likely to find in the U.S. This post just showed up a few hours ago in the Chain Gang message board.

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?28717-FS-F650GS-G650GS-OEM-Chain-ABS-Guard-Possum-Scraper

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 04:00:58 AM »

This may not help you much Brian because I don't know if it could be made to fit your Zero, but here is a fellow who wants to be rid of his "possum scraper".  This is likely about the smallest one that you are likely to find in the U.S. This post just showed up a few hours ago in the Chain Gang message board.

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?28717-FS-F650GS-G650GS-OEM-Chain-ABS-Guard-Possum-Scraper

Thanks! I know some F650 riders but can't recall if they have the scraper. I'll check to see whether that will fit.

Humancom

• View Profile
Mudguard for the DS?
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 03:24:41 AM »

Did you ever find a fitting possum scraper for the DS?
Pages: [1] 2