• March 29, 2024, 05:35:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Jumping  (Read 1527 times)

Ittindi

• View Profile
Jumping
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »

Is it possible to jumpstart another vehicle with a Zero?  I'm just curious, with the huge battery and all.  If so, how would it be done?

wainair

• View Profile
Re: Jumping
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »

I suppose if you had the 12v plug accessory on the bike you could use a cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter booster.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »

No it is not possible.  You have a big battery but its at 64 or 104V depending on the year.  Car batteries are 12V so you would need to step down to 12v.  There is a unit on the bikes that do this but they can provide maybe 20A (i dont know what the DC-DC is on the MY13's) and a starter motor on a car will pull a couple of hundred Amps.

wainair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »

I don't know if you've seen one of these units... I have a friend who says they work on cars, I just don't know about the Zeros system.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/a8a0/?itm=cigarette_lighter_jump_starter&rkgid=274586569&cpg=oggdgt1&source=google_gadgets&gclid=CPzv2bSt8rUCFcdDMgodx2AAyA
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:27:25 PM »

The problem some would have with that device is with cars with a dead battery that don't connect the socket until the ignition sw is on. Turning on the switch in the dead car could be draining away most of the current the device is providing. My Honda truck has three accessory outlets and all of them were disabled with the switch off. I jumpered around a relay that connected one of them, so it is now hot all the time. I did that so I could recharge small devices even when I was away from my truck.

Trikester

Ittindi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 01:03:52 AM »

Well, for 30 bucks, it couldn't hurt to try.  One day.

Though building a step-down transformer sounds fun...

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »

Cigarette outlets are typically rated for about 10A. About 0.25C for a typical car battery, ~1C for a motorcycle battery. Don't try this on a motorcycle battery for sure. Even on a car battery you probably would want something like this to current-limit the charge to 4A or so, IMO.

10 minutes of charging @ 4A should give around 8 Wh or around 25 kWs of energy. Enough for maybe 1-2 start attempts.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]