• April 25, 2024, 12:28:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone paired their phone with their bike?  (Read 3401 times)

JefRo

• View Profile
Re: Anyone paired their phone with their bike?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 07:54:27 AM »

I know, some forum lurkers probably thought; "hey, the guy's almost 78, it's probably operator error". Well they may have been right. It looks to me like the only way to close the Zero app, once it has been opened is to completely turn off the iPod. Today I think that I discovered that I was not shutting it down but only putting it in "sleep mode" when I thought I was shutting it off. Since the app has to be opened after the bike is powered up and Bluetooth connection has been established, then it would not work after the bike was turned off and back on again if the app had never closed in the first place, because the iPod had only been in sleep mode.

Time will tell if this was the problem. At least I now know the proper procedure for completely powering down my iPod, I wasn't holding the button down long enough and then sliding the bar on the screen over.

Ah, for the good old days when there were knobs and switches on electronic equipment. ;) These things don't even get hot enough for a cat to sleep on these days. For you young ones, that don't comprehend that last statement, many a warmth loving house cat got a good snooze on top of a vacuum tube based TV set or console radio.

Trikester

There is no need to power down the device (iTouch or iPhone). When the app is open, it will appear in the bottom line of apps when the main button is pushed twice in succession. If it is
not visible, simply scroll to the left with your finger and you will find it, probably with many other apps that you did not know were open in the background. When you see the ZERO app, hold your finger on it and all of the other apps plus the ZERO app will start wiggling with a red delete circle in the upper left corner. Press on this red minus sign and the app will disappear and not be running in the background. When you want the device to see the Zero motorcycle again, simply open the app from the main app library in the pages with all of your other apps.

Note: if you hold your finger on the apps on the main pages, they will start wiggling and have a black X in the upper left hand corners. Do not push this X or the app will be removed from your device and you will have to reinstall it. It is good to check the open apps on the bottom line from time to time running in the background by the procedure described above since they can eat battery power even though they are not being used. I close all the unused apps on the bottom line for this reason.

I have never had a connection problem with the bike by closing the app first as described above and then opening it up fresh again.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »

Thanks for the instructions.

I searched all through the on-line owner's manual and never found anything about how to close an app. I even searched under "closing an app" to no avail. Nothing either on pushing the main button twice to see a list of open apps at the bottom. This information will help a lot!  ;D

I did see the instructions about how to remove an app in the main pages, as you also described. Had I discovered the double button push and the open app list at the bottom I would have been afraid to do what you instruct, because I would have assumed that would remove the app, as it does on the main page. Apple needs to be clearer about all of this.

I don't think I'll have any more problem with this, thanks. 8)

Trikester

JefRo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »

Thanks for the instructions.

I searched all through the on-line owner's manual and never found anything about how to close an app. I even searched under "closing an app" to no avail. Nothing either on pushing the main button twice to see a list of open apps at the bottom. This information will help a lot!  ;D

I did see the instructions about how to remove an app in the main pages, as you also described. Had I discovered the double button push and the open app list at the bottom I would have been afraid to do what you instruct, because I would have assumed that would remove the app, as it does on the main page. Apple needs to be clearer about all of this.

I don't think I'll have any more problem with this, thanks. 8)

Trikester

It helps us older folks to hang around the younger ones who live close to their "devices" and can teach us a thing or two. I would have never learned about this were it not for friends 20 or more years my junior. Perhaps Zero can add these little tidbits to their instructions when setting up the communication link.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »

Yes, it would be good if Zero could fill in the "holes" that Apple leaves in their operating instructions. Since the app has to open after the Bluetooth connection with the bike, it's important to be able to close it and reopen it without turning off the iPod or iPhone. In my case I wasn't even turning it off properly. :-[

Trikester

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:20 AM »

I'm a software developer who has made iOS apps, and I have to admit that bluetooth pairing is not as intuitive as it should be, and it took me a minute of fiddling to get them paired. The instructions on the page are accurate, but require background familiarity. :-)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 05:38:08 AM »

It was not the pairing Parsee that caused me problems, it was Apple's lack of instructions on how to close an app, once opened.

Trikester

spelunker

• View Profile
Anyone paired their phone with their bike?
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 06:15:14 AM »

So, does the Bluetooth come on when you plug the back in to charge or, is it only on when the key is turned on? How do you get charging information on the app while the bike is charging?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »

So, does the Bluetooth come on when you plug the back in to charge or, is it only on when the key is turned on? How do you get charging information on the app while the bike is charging?

It seems to come on while charging without the key. I tested this by examining the charge state from my living room while the bike charged in the garage (directly below). Very cool!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »

It seems to come on while charging without the key. I tested this by examining the charge state from my living room while the bike charged in the garage (directly below). Very cool!

Yes, it does come on when the charging plug is connected & key off, but I have some reason to suspect that Bluetooth turns off when the charge is complete (haven't tried to prove that yet).

I had no idea the Bluetooth would go as far as you are getting it. I've been hovering right over my bike when checking charge. I'll kick back a little more from now on  ;D

Trikester
Pages: 1 [2]