• April 23, 2024, 01:00:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone paired their phone with their bike?  (Read 3400 times)

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
Anyone paired their phone with their bike?
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:49:08 AM »

I'm looking to pair my phone to my bike and just curious if someone has done this and if they want to share how they did it.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
Re: Anyone paired their phone with their bike?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 04:31:38 AM »

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/app/help/ios/connectivity.php
Not in the manual but was on their site...  It works!
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »

Wow - so turning the key |flipping eco/sport switch| at least 12 times back and forth enables discovery. Nothing one does by mistake, I'm sure. No more 'someone-will-pair-my-bike-and-change-the-settings'-angst at the red light!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:08:02 PM by Tudor »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »

No more 'someone-will-pair-my-bike-and-change-the-settings'-angst at the red light!

So there ends my story of a while back.  :'(

Trikester

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:04:14 AM »

To be clear you toggle the sport / eco switch 12 times (6 switches), not key cycle.

-ryan
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:11:46 PM by Biff »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »

To be clear you toggle the sport / eco switch 12 times (6 switches),

Oh, Ryan, you mean just normal riding for me will do it.  ;D

Trikester

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »

Quote from: Tudor
No more 'someone-will-pair-my-bike-and-change-the-settings'-angst at the red light!

Quote from: trikester
So there ends my story of a while back.  :'(

Quote from: Biff

Quote from: trikester

And suddenly the story is open for a sequel.  :D

Quote from: Biff
Fixed it, thanks for pointing out. Your post has been quoted already, better keep the post to avoid confusion.

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »

Trikester

The other important thing is the kill switch has to be in the "no go" position, so go ahead and switch modes all you want while riding, and not be worried about someone pairing to your bike without your knowledge.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »

Well I've been using my iPod for several days now and I find everything to be extremely flaky. Sometimes the Bluetooth won't connect no matter how I try, other times it works perfectly. Then sometimes it says I have the Bluetooth connection but the bike fails to send anything to the iPod (or the app fails to recognize the data). I think this system needs work. >:(

To mount the iPod I used a holder called "Survivor" (purchased at the Apple Store) and removed the belt clip, installed a 6mm "Rivnut" in the bike's plastic panel and mounted the iPod holding clip using the center hole where the belt clip used to be mounted. It's very easy to un-clip the holder and carry the iPod along with the rubber cushion that surrounds it. See photos.

Trikester

JefRo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

Well I've been using my iPod for several days now and I find everything to be extremely flaky. Sometimes the Bluetooth won't connect no matter how I try, other times it works perfectly. Then sometimes it says I have the Bluetooth connection but the bike fails to send anything to the iPod (or the app fails to recognize the data). I think this system needs work. >:(

To mount the iPod I used a holder called "Survivor" (purchased at the Apple Store) and removed the belt clip, installed a 6mm "Rivnut" in the bike's plastic panel and mounted the iPod holding clip using the center hole where the belt clip used to be mounted. It's very easy to un-clip the holder and carry the iPod along with the rubber cushion that surrounds it. See photos.

Trikester
I have not had any problems using my iPhone 4s. However, both of my Generation 2 and 3 iTouch's will not recognize the bike and the Apple Support website has a chart which shows Bluetooth compatibility with all generations of Apple devices. I do have to close the app and re-open each time which makes it a little awkward.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »

I'm using the iPod Touch current gen 4 which Zero says is compatible. Sometimes it works great, other times not.

Yes, I also find it kind of a bother to have to close the app and re-open it to make contact, but sometimes even that doesn't work in my case.

Trikester

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »

guess thats bluetooth for us. Apple airplay or wifi might work better ....

anyway -- does it add features other than the drive setup at the start ? do u use the dashboard and is the information of use ?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:12 PM »

I did the drive setup to begin with, but it is the dashboard that is most useful to me. Especially seeing watts use and charge remaining. Then after the ride stats.

It's interesting to see the watts use go from + to - when using regen. 8)

Yesterday it all worked while riding to a motorcycle meet, then on the ride back home nothing worked, not even the after ride stats, even though it said Bluetooth was connected. >:(

Trikester

BTW - When the iPod is mounted in a case, such as the one I used, turn off "auto brightness" or it thinks it is dark and the screen goes very dim. That had me puzzled for a few minutes until I figured out what was happening. ???

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »

I know, some forum lurkers probably thought; "hey, the guy's almost 78, it's probably operator error". Well they may have been right. It looks to me like the only way to close the Zero app, once it has been opened is to completely turn off the iPod. Today I think that I discovered that I was not shutting it down but only putting it in "sleep mode" when I thought I was shutting it off. Since the app has to be opened after the bike is powered up and Bluetooth connection has been established, then it would not work after the bike was turned off and back on again if the app had never closed in the first place, because the iPod had only been in sleep mode.

Time will tell if this was the problem. At least I now know the proper procedure for completely powering down my iPod, I wasn't holding the button down long enough and then sliding the bar on the screen over.

Ah, for the good old days when there were knobs and switches on electronic equipment. ;) These things don't even get hot enough for a cat to sleep on these days. For you young ones, that don't comprehend that last statement, many a warmth loving house cat got a good snooze on top of a vacuum tube based TV set or console radio.

Trikester

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »

Hi All,

I have recently joined Zero to begin working with the development team on the mobile app.  So I'll admit to lurking on the forums, but trikester, I never assume anything is operator error. 

If any of you'd be willing to speak to me more about your experience with the app, then I would love to talk with each of you.  Please PM me.  I'll be trying to set up calls for early next week and promise not to take more than 30 minutes of your time.

We are also working to update the FAQs to better reflect device compatibility.  Unfortunately with the wide variety of iOS and especially Android devices in the market, we can't test all in every configuration.  Hence, I lurk and we try to look into reported problems.

Thanks to all of you for your excellent feedback.
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star
Pages: [1] 2