• May 02, 2024, 03:49:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Things that make me appreciate electric drive.  (Read 863 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Things that make me appreciate electric drive.
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:04 PM »

The big annual antique motorcycle ride meet in Borrego Springs CA is this week. One of my favorite events with a parking lot that looks like a big outdoor antique motorcycle museum (usually over 100 bikes). Normally, I get one of my antique bikes in riding order well ahead of time. This year, because of taking delivery on my 2013 FX, and a nasty head cold, I put off readying a bike until the day came to load one on the trailer. One by one I wheeled an antique out of my shop only to find it would not start for various reasons. Since I only had the bikes with current registration to choose from I soon ran out of bikes to try. I then turned to my trusty non-antique (but looks like one) 2001 Royal Enfield. It has been my antique "stand-in" before. It has electric start but even though it's been on a battery tender, the battery was bad. Finally, I got it kick started (about to give up when it "barked") rode around the parking lot, and loaded it on the trailer.

Then I rode my 2013 FX onto the trailer and I was ready to go. Of course the FX isn't an antique either but I'm taking it so I can do its first desert riding and for general all around good fun. ;D

I realize that I was dealing with antique bikes - a cantankerous bunch of machines for sure - but it sure added to my appreciation of electric power! 8)

Trikester

WindRider

• View Profile
Re: Things that make me appreciate electric drive.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:02:03 AM »

That sounds like a fun event Trikester.

When are you going to do a full review with some trail pics of the new Zero FX???
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »

I had a similar experience recently.  I have been riding the S exclusively for the past 3 months and just started my KTM occasionally to cycle the oil etc.  Anyway on a nice day before i left for my holiday (im in Fl now) i took the KTM out for a quick ride to give it a run.  What a thoroughly unpleasant experience it was too.  The vibration was awful but I guess after riding big singles for a few years i stopped noticing, it was noisy, the clutch was a nuisance and when i got home my boot was soaking wet, turned out it was pissing coolant from the radiator!  So now i have that to worry about when i get home. 

I will be selling the KTM soon and look forward to spending the proceeds on a size 6 upgrade.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »

Yeah, I sure get spoiled by electrics.

I'll probably post a couple of photos of the new FX later this week but because of the other bike event I may not get the chance to do a "serious" dirt ride. Time will tell.

Trikester

BTW - Found out (by trying) I need to fab some new rear mounting brackets for my 2010 Corbin seat before it will mount on the FX. I had to modify the brackets some to fit the 2012 DS. It seems like Zero is doing minor mods in that area each year. ???

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »

sold my Harley. to much hassle to even take out of garage. sure my 2011 S gives me some challenges, brushed motor .... but when she runs is fun and so good.... just wondering if I got to upcoming HOG ralley and make "vromm, vromm" or so.... need a sound generator.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Pages: [1]