• April 25, 2024, 05:57:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Regenerative Braking  (Read 6898 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Regenerative Braking
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »

I've done a lot of city riding on my DS where I don't use the brake at all when coming to a stop. Just switching between the several regen options that Zero gives us and then putting my foot down at the end. Of course that isn't always the case but it works many times - no mechanical braking.

Trikester

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 04:40:10 AM »

Thanks for the details on how the Tesla S works. I was thinking of full regen breaking, but it seems it is not more than a little more "engine braking" than an ICE car.
I like the accelerometer design!

But it triggers a follow on question. Is it possible to utilize full regen? Prehaps in combination with the accellerometer and the brake padle? So is the brake padle friction brakes only or is it up to full regen first and then assisted with friction?

Once you go EV, gas is history!

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 06:52:35 AM »

I personally feel that we have to give ourselves a bit more credit in regards to adapting to different controls and riding techniques. I have multiple vehicles with varied control methods. My '67 Mini is right hand drive, my scooter uses a brake lever on the left handle bar for rear brakes, and old british bike I once had was all backwards when it came to controls. Bicycles have the rear brake on the right handlebar and the front brake on the left. Heck going from a car to a motorcycle is completely different in itself! I MIGHT reach for the wrong lever or be confused for a quick second at the start (if I haven't driven or ridden the vehicle in a while) but after that, I have never felt unsafe or reacted poorly in an emergency situation because of control confusion.

Jose Soriano

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 10:48:54 PM »

When I built my first trike and started riding it a lot I was worried that I would forget to counter steer, at highway speed, when I got back on a two wheel motorcycle (a trike is still a motorcycle by definition). No worries, it never came into play. When on a trike I automatically steer into turns and automatically counter steer into turns when on two wheels.

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »

Bicycles have the rear brake on the right handlebar and the front brake on the left.

Jose Soriano

Maybe its a colonial thing but every bicycle i have ridden has the front brake on the right.

Even full regen on my 12 S does not decelerate as hard as my KTM 690 under engine braking in low gears, at least until the slipper clutch does its job, so i don't see the brake light thing as an issue personally.  I used to show my brake light using the rear brake pedal on my ICE bikes when under engine braking anyway.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 03:29:54 AM »

Every mountain bike I have ridden has the rear brake on the right handlebar and the front brake on the left. It's the standard setup for mountain bikes.

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 01:51:36 AM »

I hate the bicycle brake position and normally change the front brake to the right side.

But Trikester how do you handle the front brake at the FX on the left ;D

Sorry but since the first time I saw the FX promo video I want to make a joke of this mirrored part.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »

That is a weird photo showing a brake lever on the left. Maybe one of the first factory riders wanted it that way. ???

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »

Just asked a few colleagues and bicycles over here definitely have the front brake on the right.  I dunno, first you drive on the wrong side of the road, and now this.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »

My last sepex GPR-S used a braking system that had the front brake lever on the right bar and the rear brake lever on the left bar.  I think this was to solve some sort of packaging problem.

IC motorcycles that have been modified with a left handlebar brake, typically also have a clutch on that bar, also. These modifications are usually used by stunt riders - for obvious reasons, as their feet are usually somewhere else than on the motorcycle's pegs when they are doing their thing.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »

I once modified a Yamaha TW200 to have two levers on the right bar. In normal position was the front brake and straight up above it was a lever that would operate the rear brake foot pedal.

I did this because I sometimes wanted to lower myself down steep deep sand slopes where touching the front brake would result in falling. However, I often had my feet out to "tripod" the bike so I couldn't drag the rear brake at the same time. After the mod, I could raise my fingers up and operate the high right lever to drag the rear brake. I didn't put the extra lever on the left because I would usually be holding in or slipping the clutch at the same time. I arranged the mechanical action so the the rear brake foot lever could still be used at any time.

Trikester

s44captain

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »

Having ridden both the Empulse and Zeros I gotta say I prefer regen in my brake with a light touch rather than forcing the throttle further shut.  It is really nice to coast sometimes and hunting for the sweet spot in the throttle can be a real drag.
Current Bikes: 2012 Zero 6S & Buell XB12
Former Bikes: 2009 Brammo & Matchless G85CS

emotofreak

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 02:47:41 AM »

Methinks some "artist" took some creative liberties with that photo and mirrored it.

I hate the bicycle brake position and normally change the front brake to the right side.

But Trikester how do you handle the front brake at the FX on the left ;D

Sorry but since the first time I saw the FX promo video I want to make a joke of this mirrored part.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2013, 12:31:23 AM »

No. it is not a Photo, watch the FX promotion video it is in the last seconds when the rider makes the nose wheelie. You see him making two nose wheelies but it is the same first original second mirrored!

I am not sure, but if you have not enough material mirror it and you have the double length ;)

With a normal bike (clutch and front brake) nobody would realize :-[
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7
Pages: 1 2 [3]