• April 27, 2024, 06:43:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plastic Parts form Cracks!  (Read 1358 times)

BSDThw

• View Profile
Plastic Parts form Cracks!
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »

During wintertime I started some modification at my 2012 DS. Yesterday I started my LED back-light … modification.

I disassembled the rear part of the bike and noticed a crack :'( in the plastic at the right side.  I am sure it didn't happen when I disassembled the parts. I can't say how long the crack is at the bike because I am not so much the "cleaning type" I am more the "bike user type".

So did everyone have same problems with cracks that don't seam to be of a misuse?
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Plastic Parts form Cracks!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »

The second photos is the fixing point of this plastic part, you can see it didn't fit so they just drilled the hole again. So it looks like the part was a bit misused from the start. Also the fixation hole starts to get cracks too.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I am a Zero Fan and like my bike very much, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Hope the 2013 has improved quality!

When I first removed my seat there was a lot of aluminum cutting. I could see they drilled a lot of holes more open if some part didn't fit.
When I removed the side fairing I found a cover-foil between battery-box and frame. It don't hurt but it is not quality and the reason for this jammed foil is, my battery-box is crooked, the distance between frame and box is different at each side.

Also the way how the plastic parts are deflashed are very sloppy.

iJustride

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »

Yeah, the plastic parts are pretty chintzy. By the way, be carful when unplugging the wires to the tail, the "subframe" is razor sharp and sliced open my thumb.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »

Don't know if this excuses Zero, but every bike I've owned that have had plastic parts (most from the 80's) eventually resulted in cracks.
I will say my BMW tupperware seems to be holding up well;  but I understand it's SMC (sheet molded composite).
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

wainair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »

Do the fastening screws have a seating step on them? Honda had their fairings attached with screws that had a seated step on them to avoid over tightening and cracking of the fairings. Like this...

I know on my old .85 Interceptor 500 it was very easy to over tighten the screws and crack the fairings if you weren't careful.

If I remember correctly there was a product called Plastiweld that you could get to repair cracked plastic fairings as well. I just can't remember where I saw it... ???

P.S. I think this was the stuff.... http://www.plastiweld.com/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:58:48 PM by wainair »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

iJustride

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »

Do the fastening screws have a seating step on them?
No, they use these horrible plastic reusable rivits in most places. There are two screws that hold the tail down to the subframe, but they're fully threaded.
Sometimes I feel like I've bought a $2000 pit bike with a $10,000 battery.  :-\

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 01:19:27 AM »

Sometimes I feel like I've bought a $2000 pit bike with a $10,000 battery.

Unfortunately, that is the state of the electric motorcycle at this point in time. The battery is the most expensive part of the bike, and so expensive that costs have to held down in other parts, or sales would be very small. All E-Bike manufactures are faced with this problem and my own opinion is that Zero has done a fairly good job of working with this cost restriction. Perfect? No. I've had my own QC gripes with Zero in the past.

BTW - I've replaced a lot of those awful plastic clips  (>:() with 5mm press nuts and stainless button head bolts. That's how my 2010 DS was factory built originally (clip nuts & stainless bolts).

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 02:13:14 AM »

Trikester
my own opinion is that Zero has done a fairly good job of working with this cost restriction

I agree with you!

Thanks for the replies actually a didn't want to start a big discussion of the quality. :-[

As I see there is none with cracks in the middle of nowhere. So it is good for us all but bad for me because I can't explain how it happened.

Will wait what my dealer replies as long I taped it hope the crack will not become longer.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »

GOOD NEWS! For 2013 buyers. :) Today I noticed that my new FX has 5mm button head bolts holding all of the exterior plastic trim pieces. I don't know if this applies to the other models or not. The FX doesn't have much body trim to begin with (which I like).

Trikester
Pages: [1]