• April 26, 2024, 08:27:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Gas trike becoming 2013 Zero electric!  (Read 15252 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Gas trike becoming 2013 Zero electric!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 09:21:19 PM »

A little spendy, but probably about right for an OEM-equality powertrain. I assume that's batteries + charger + controller + motor?

Correct, including wiring harness. As mentioned, I also had added the HV to 12 V DC / DC converter which isn't included in the kit. I still need the throttle assembly, but the throttle wiring was included.

As far as I know, the Bluetooth is not available, probably because Zero doesn't want other manufacturers to have their App software.

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »

Started the tearing down process today. The E-conversion project is finally underway.  :)

Sure hope I can make all of the Zero FX components fit. Of course I'll start with the motor position. Until the motor is mounted in the best position I can achieve, relative to the swing-arm pivot, I won't even think about the other stuff.

Photo is prior to start of tear-down.

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »

Best you but a folding cot in your garage ;D

Will be thrilling to see your progress. I admire what you are doing 8)
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 11:26:06 PM »

Yeah, I sure got "cold feet" at time while approaching this project. I had to keep reminding myself of how much I enjoy solving design and engineering problems, especially when the project is for me (no client or employer questions and objections to answer).

Since I retired in 2000 I've had several of these kinds of projects (like the two Yamaha trike conversions for example). I started to realize that it had been too long since I had started anything that took longer than a few days to complete. So here I am now and looking forward to a challenging project, even with the occasional "cold feet".

Several years ago I decided to find a way to put a hydraulic disk front brake on a 1947 Matchless motorcycle. I can remember going home (my shop is several miles from my home, and not in my garage, which she likes) several times in the evening and telling my wife that I had just spent a whole day problem solving.

Trikester

BTW - The front disk brake works great on the 1947 bike. See photo.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »

Looks good,

did you remove the left fender mount for the photo or for ever?

I have to admit, I would like to have a fender like this at my DS, I somehow like this old stile and good protection but the mounting at the fork is not easy and if it is not trustable and got tangled I wouldn't like to ride my bike. Still playing with the 2012 XU fender idea.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »

I had to remove the lower left fender stay to make room for the brake caliper. I didn't want to alter any original parts so instead of cutting one side of the lower stay off, I fabricated a new right side lower stay that looks just like the original, on that side.

Very observant of you!

A lot of "head scratching" today in figuring out how I'm going to mount the two Zero batteries. Looks like they will go up where the gas tank used to be, so my knees will be gripping the sides of the batteries. Maybe I'll bond on a couple of those rubber John Bull - British gas tank knee pads. ;)

Here's a photo of the trike stripped of its former 200cc noisy glory. :o

Trikester
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:04:45 AM by trikester »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »

Mounting the motor went very well. It looks simple now but of course it took some thinking to figure out what I was going to do. :P

I was able to utilize the main structural areas that were used to mount the gas engine. They worked out well for the rear of the Zero motor. The two areas were the swing arm pivot shaft and the front downtube. The mounting is very ridged and should have very little deflection under max torque.

There has been no modification of the trike frame at this point (other than cutting off some small unneeded flanges).

Trikester
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:35:05 AM by trikester »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »

Here's a photo of the two batteries' base support "shelf".

After strapping the batteries in place, using a Harley Davidson brand bike strap (oh, the horrors of it all) I put the seat on and sat on the trike to see how it felt with the width of the batteries. It doesn't seem to be any problem and in fact it should be easier to stabilize myself going around curves. Remember, trikes don't lean - they try to throw you off.

I spent today thinking about how I was going to restrain the batteries on the shelf. I now have decided on a design for that function that I think will work well.

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »

Great job,

the batteries are side by side, one right one left on the shelf?

I really like to follow your thread, can see your sleepless nights, hundreds ideas and study the pros and cons. It's the nature of a real developer heart.

The Trike looks like you can spend a whole day on it, I think (not taking money in account) I couldn't resists to but 2 more batteries like saddle bags on the bike and make it for longer distance.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »

the batteries are side by side, one right one left on the shelf?

Yes, one on each side of the frame. Before I got into the project I thought I would have more room for the batteries.

I could probably carry one extra battery on the rear rack but it would need more support for the weight. I could then swap out one battery for a longer ride. I also could make a carrier for another battery on the front. A trike offers more possibilities for carrying stuff than a two wheeler. It's going to be interesting to find out how much less mileage I get with three wheels on the ground compared to my FX. Also, on the highway I'll have more wind resistance.

With the method for holding the batteries that I now have in mind, it would take longer to remove a battery than it does with my FX, but it still wouldn't be a big deal. Probably swap a battery in five to ten minutes. Not too bad considering, as we all know, we want to get off the bike for awhile anyway on longer rides.

Trikester

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »

Geees!!! you got that 75-5 motor?

How much did you paid it? moto only? ( i'm looking to get the 75-7 to upgrad emy 2011 Zero whne i'll finish the battery voltage upgrade..

did you bought the Sevcon size 4 gen4  too?

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »

View Profile
        Endless-sphere.com
        Email
        Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:38:13 PM »

ReplyQuote

Geees!!! you got that 75-5 motor?

How much did you paid it? moto only? ( i'm looking to get the 75-7 to upgrad emy 2011 Zero whne i'll finish the battery voltage upgrade..

did you bought the Sevcon size 4 gen4  too?

I bought the entire 2013 FX powertrain kit from Zero, The only extras I had to add (so far) were the HV to 12vdc converter and the throttle assembly plus the chain sprocket for the motor shaft.

Zero has a catalog of powertrain individual components and complete (mostly) kits, with prices. It includes the wiring harness. You can check with their marketing staff. They did require me to sign a non-disclosure agreement. :-X

I'm assuming that their business goal is to sell in quantity to other OEM's, not generally to hobbyists like me, but I'm pleased that they didn't exclude my "one off" project either. This business decision by Zero could lead to a lot of development by individuals (with the cash to spend) in the electric vehicle area. I'm waiting to see the FX power system in an ultralight aircraft! If I was 40 years younger that could be me. I was flying hang gliders back then. :o

Attaching a photo viewed from the front with the batteries temporarily strapped in place.

Trikester

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »

Beautiful work! One day when I grow up I hope to have some of those mad fab skillz.

I notice your brackets block the ends of about half the cooling fins. Do you think that will compromise the cooling much?
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

I don't think there is much air flow off the ends of the fins. It's too bad that the fins aren't radial around the case but I can see how that would be very difficult to cast. Overall, the fins should be more exposed to airflow on the trike than they are on my FX. The motor on the FX is mostly buried down there. Time will tell if there is a cooling problem, and if there is, I can cut away portions of the plates to open up more exposure.

I haven't decided yet if I want to put a large hole in the middle of the front motor mount plate. I don't want to make it too flexible in twist under motor torque stress, because it's mounted at the rear of the motor instead of the shaft end. Under load the shaft end will try to rise up, so the mounting plates have to resist a twisting force as well as a vertical force.

Trikester

TargeT

• $.58 a kWh... and I ride electric?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »

I'm waiting to see the FX power system in an ultralight aircraft! If I was 40 years younger that could be me. I was flying hang gliders back then. :o

Trikester

Hmmm... You think it has enough power to do that?

now that certainly peaked my interest......
I wonder where I can charge my batteries from at work...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9