• April 25, 2024, 06:28:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quantya or Zero X  (Read 2439 times)

morati

• View Profile
Quantya or Zero X
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:32:19 AM »

Looking to buy one of these in the near future.  Which would you get and WHY?
I am a former Motorcycle Road Racer and have been racing Mountainbikes and Cyclocross for the last ten years.  I plan on riding it mainly on singletrack with a few short commutes on road as well.

MUEV

• Your Colorado Source for Zero, EVT & Greenwit
    • View Profile
    • MUEV
Re: Quantya or Zero X
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »

You know where I stand Morati.  :P
Here to serve.  Ask away.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:28:24 AM »

I would see who comes out on top in the 24 hours of electrocross...

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/zero-motorcycles-to-set-world,759001.shtml

I have not seen a comparison between the two machines yet.

Zero seems to have a head start on getting bikes in circulation.  Probably have more case studies to use for improvements.  I know they are on their second iteration of the bike too.

but, Zero does not have a street legal version yet and Quantya does which kind of limits your options if you plan to commute.

MUEV

• Your Colorado Source for Zero, EVT & Greenwit
    • View Profile
    • MUEV
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 05:20:17 AM »

Actually the "light kit" for the Zero X should be available any day now to allow it to be registered and street legal.
Here to serve.  Ask away.

fastfoodfred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »

Has anyone decided which is the better of the two?

My question is which has a better chassis?  That is the important part to me.

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:00:39 AM »

I think if I had to to do over I would get the Quantya. The Zero has a great frame but the parts options are.....Bike parts. The default cheap zero has what I think of as an unsafe front fork. The amount of flex on the front end shocks me. During hard brakes on the street I can tell what side the brake rotor is on as it twists up the front. The upgrade to the white bros fork Ive been told is a good help.

The thing that bugs me on the Quantya is the frame. It just looks like it was made fron bended pipe. But I do like the the other items on the bike. Real brakes, real shocks, jack screw reduction setup. Id like to know more about the batt pack. The zero has no way to balance the cells. Does the Quantya?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:03:51 PM by picasso »

skyclark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »

I like the Quantya better because it seems like more of a finished product.  It looks and rides like a production vehicle while the Zero looks like a school project still.  The Quantya has a very smooth and well balanced ride with no lurching during acceleration.  Right from a complete stop it smoothly pulls.  Many of the components are better quality or larger (brakes, wheels, and fork are the most noticeable) than the Zero.  The riding position is also different.  The Quantya is tall like a modern MX bike and has similar ergonomics. 

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »

I my self think its the other way around the Quantya looks like a school project and is what put me off, The Zero looks great and was designed to be low weight. But the brakes and default fork do suck bad and I think will get someone hurt. I think both of them are over priced. I think the real sweet spot is around $5k USD.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:45:35 PM by picasso »

tranquility tim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 08:17:44 AM »

My ZERO has the White Bothers fork and it works great, the best downhill machine I have ever rode...

Tim ZERO rep in Tranquility Tennessee

wayner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 06:13:15 AM »

I've test ridden both. With both bikes you have to keep in mind THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AS YOUR ktm, yamaha or other. If you want the same performance as your 250 then buy a 250! But, if you want a green bike no noise, poach single track, ride legally in many areas etc. Then an electric bike is the way to go.

I like the idea of the battery swap with the Zero, that's a great option for not only additional ride time but for maintenance and future battery advances (5 years from now simply buy a better battery). I must have ridden the MX version of the Zero cause the front end had MX forks not the smaller forks, and it had a MX rim and tire. I liked the fact I had the options of switching into easy mode for my wife to ride. The Quantya did have bigger brakes which ultimatly adds to the weight and overall performance but I did not notice any better braking. I guess if they both brake the same why not go with the lighter brakes? Cheaper to replace as well. Overall I liked the Zero due to the power mode options, suspension was equal with the MX version on the Zero, the interchangeable battery and light kit to make it street legal. The light weight was a huge factor when my wife (and me in the single track) rode it.
Pages: [1]