• March 29, 2024, 12:33:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone played with the new App?  (Read 4141 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Anyone played with the new App?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 01:57:41 AM »

Trikester,

You dog.  You did not even trade her in on a new model; you just pushed her aside.  That most certainly would not work on my wife

At least she can't hire a lawyer ;)

Trikester

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 04:26:53 AM »

Works great on my old iphone3. - demo mode that is for now. TunIng of eco mode only?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

emotofreak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 05:52:54 AM »

eco mode is also the customizable profile. You can't adjust the sport profile.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »

When I pick up my FX on Friday I'll ask Harlan if he can show me how the system works.

Trikester

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »

One feature you'd miss out on if you don't have a data plan is that they will be able to pull the maintenance logs from your bike for "roadside assistance" if you should ever have a problem away from home...
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »

Wow, the (android) app seems very powerful and full of features. Of course I only fiddled around in demo mode and without a bike.

The disappointment is of course that the design is not suited for the android but clearly iOs (iPhone). Referring to things like the bottom tab menu, the lack of actionbar on top but most importantly, the lack of a proper back stack. Hitting the android back-button will not take you  back one level or to previous tab, it will close the app. Hopefully now that the app is released they will dig in to some android design documents and update it properly.

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »

One feature you'd miss out on if you don't have a data plan is that they will be able to pull the maintenance logs from your bike for "roadside assistance" if you should ever have a problem away from home...
pull the log when u r on a WIFI network - at the cafe - while charging :-)
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »

I'm referring to breaking down at the side of the road, with no WiFi cafe to keep you company while the factory figures out how to get you back to civilization... ;)
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »

I'm referring to breaking down at the side of the road, with no WiFi cafe to keep you company while the factory figures out how to get you back to civilization... ;)

Many places I ride don't have a cell signal available so I'd still be in the same situation, unless I had service through a sat phone (big bucks). I've attached a photo of such a place. I'm on one of my home-built gas trikes in the Maze District of Canyonlands N.P..

I like the idea of a cafe, a burger or taco, and a nice cold craft ale. I'll plan on only breaking down near one.  ;)

Trikester

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »

so what app pulls the log of ur brammo  :) ? certainly - many places we can now go with the new found range that have neither wifi nor cell. would say though that the bikes are now all more reliable and if u manage ur range :) no worries mate (as we say down under)
Tom

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »

so what app pulls the log of ur brammo  :) ? certainly - many places we can now go with the new found range that have neither wifi nor cell. would say though that the bikes are now all more reliable and if u manage ur range :) no worries mate (as we say down under)
The Empulse doesn't have cell phone integration, but I could remove the seat, pull the drive with the logs, hook it to my cell phone using a USB host adapter, and mail them manually... ;)

I'm just pointing out that it is a built-in 1-click feature of the Zero app that you'd miss out on without a data plan.  A better question would be what data might they be able to find in the logs that would be of any help if you are broken down on the side of the road and I have no idea what that would be - it's just the scenario that the Zero rep presented to me when he described the feature so I'm guessing they do have a use case in mind.

My Acura has had the ability to email logs through my cell phone for 6 years now.  Unfortunately, their integration requires a form of Bluetooth protocol (DUN protocol perhaps?) that none of my phones have ever supported ("We are sorry, but your Bluetooth connection does not support Acura Mumble Data Thingy") so I've never been able to get that "data connect" feature set up.  :(  I'm guessing that Zero in 2013 has thought this through better than Acura did back in 2007...

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 06:24:08 AM »

I wish on my older models to have had the send log feature. I never broke down completely. It was always a motor growl, or half empty battery performance decrease. For all this "continuos improvement scenarios" the ability to send logs is great. As the Zeros are less mechanical and more electronic the feature is useful and in fact most logical. Brammo more like an ICE bike would need additional sensors to pick up data from gearbox etc. lots of parts.
Tom

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »

When I picked up my FX yesterday, Harlan demonstrated using his smart phone (iPod I think) for setting parameters and reading out data  from the bike.

I will get an iPod to mount on the bike, but not subscribe to cell service as I mentioned before. I don't want another monthly bill!!! >:(

Trikester

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »

When I picked up my FX yesterday, Harlan demonstrated using his smart phone (iPod I think) for setting parameters and reading out data  from the bike.

I will get an iPod to mount on the bike, but not subscribe to cell service as I mentioned before. I don't want another monthly bill!!! >:(

Trikester

Probably "iPod Touch" then. Not really a smart phone, but smart device, as it cannot connect calls. A feature you won't need as you don't want another monthly bill anyways. =)
Keep in mind you will need a wifi-connection to download (and update) the zero-app every now and then. This can be done with any wifi.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 01:25:45 AM »

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the iPod touch. I didn't know about it, I thought they were all phones. The iPad mini is way to big to be on the bike so that's why I knew that I would have to go the phone route but not use it as a phone. I would expect the "Touch" to be less expensive than the phone version.

Hopefully, the iPod Touch has a compatible Blue Tooth function.

Yes, I will use the WiFi capability of the device.

Trikester
Pages: 1 [2] 3