• April 25, 2024, 03:43:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stupid Colorado. Bad news for Zero.  (Read 1809 times)

ColoPaul

• View Profile
Stupid Colorado. Bad news for Zero.
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »

So Colorado used to give fantastic tax credits, typically $5000-$6000, for a Zero purchase.
This was under the "Innovative Motor Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Vehicle Credits" , which is active from 2011-2015.

However, apparently they modified it for 2013-2015, completely eliminating all electric motorcycle tax incentives.
Those of us who bought in 2011-2012 are grandfathered.

"Motorcycles and scooters, including electric motorcycles and scooters, do not meet the criteria ..... they cannot qualify for the credit."

I guess I should be happy I didn't wait for a 2013 model !!!  :-\
Unfortunately, this will clearly be a hit for Colorado sales.  I hope we don't lose our dealer.
I wish they had left in some tax incentive, rather than eliminating it altogether.
This has got to be a blow to all those patient Brammo buyers, too.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: Stupid Colorado. Bad news for Zero.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »

Damn!.. I understand how you feel, Here is Quebec ( Canada) there was credit too for 100% electric vehicule that have battery from 4kWh to 30kWh... the max credit was 8000$ and the zero ZF9  or 11.4 comply with that... but they added ONLY 4 wheel vehicule in their condition!!! ::) ::) >:(

THis credit was to motivate people to adopt an EFFICIENT and low pollution transport... DAmn!!.. The zero is one of the MOST efficient transport !! and alot more than s 100% elctric car!

They are so stupid !!

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »

we dont have a dealer

we do not have any incentives

Australia just discovered major oil reserves in South Australia

God, how I Hlove this country... >:(
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

It kind of makes you wonder why these credits were eliminated for electric motorcycles - and my guess would be that auto makers that sell (or plan to sell) EVs didn't want electric motorcycles to dig into even a little of the rebate pot, or possibly cut into the sales of their cars, so they put the screws to the regulators and got motorcycles tossed out of the rebate programs. 

I haven't heard anything yet about California's rebate program for this year.  I think they ran out of money last year and may need a new infusion of cash for this year, but I am not quite sure how that money is funded and allocated each year.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »

Probably lack of lobbying dollars and relative immaturity of the electric motorcycle market, coupled with the relatively small number of American riders.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 03:30:05 AM »

Another theory is that motorcycles tend to be or are perceived to be a secondary recreational vehicle and they wanted the tax dollars to support replacement of primary vehicles instead?
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 04:02:41 AM »

I replaced the majority of miles on my primary car with the Zero. Without significant subsidies, it's pretty much required to do so if your goal is "break-even" vs a gas bike.

But the perception in my experience is not without merit. There are very few year-round motorcycle commuters at my work campus of several thousand - I know one or two.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »

Another theory is that motorcycles tend to be or are perceived to be a secondary recreational vehicle and they wanted the tax dollars to support replacement of primary vehicles instead?

You're right - it's a perception thing.  However, they'll still give the full credit ($6000) for a Tesla roadster...not really a "primary vehicle" in my view either!  ;D

Makes me wonder.  Zero only sold a few hundred bikes last year.  Based on what my dealer said; it sounds like Colorado was responsible for 15-25 of those bikes.  Only 15-25 bikes, at $8000 for a ZF9 and $5500 for a ZF6.  How are they going to sell any this year?  Of course a couple of rich enthusiasts will buy...if they don't go to Brammo.  But beyond that?
For sure, I would NOT have forked over $11,500 for my SZF6 last year.   And now, $14,000 minimum entry for a 2013 'S' bike?  Really?
I'm a little down on e-motos today, I guess.   Last year I let literally 30-40 people test ride my zero.  I talked it up to everyone I met.  Everyone seemed impressed and excited - but the reality is no one actually bought one - even at the (then) 1/2-off colorado prices.
Maybe Flar hit it on the head.  99.9% of motorcycles are "secondary recreational vehicles".  The Harley hogs, the crotch rocket crowd and the die-hard goldwing/bmw tourers all seem like poor fits for e-motos.  Zero's strengths: low-operating-costs, great-for-commuting, geeky and green just don't appeal to the 99.9% crowd.

Nonetheless, I have gathered all the email's/contact info for my district's and neighboring districts state representatives, and I am going to make a concerted effort to get ahold of each and every one and make a case to get some level of credit reinstated for emotos.   If you've ever attempted such a feat (I haven't) I'd appreciate any tips regarding ways to approach them, styles, points to make, etc.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »

I think DoctorBass and Manlytom have it correct.  While others are using logic and reason, which is a good thing, you fail by projecting your logic and reason onto the government.  You should really straighten out your thinking or like most people they will lie to you and you will believe it.  If the USA government really cared about it's people then they would do something about the 32 million people without jobs.  That is 10 million more people without a job than the total population of australia.  OMG, that is seriously, and truely awful.  Also they would not spend 2 trillion dollars a year above and way beyond what is used to run an already super wasteful and corrupt organization.  Maybe they were going for that world record, but you would have thought they would stop when they achieved it.  The USA government has created more dept than any Nation, country, empire, etc in the history of the world.  Great, our president holds a world record in failure, woohoo.  Like said in the Movie Hancock, Good job, good job.

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 05:56:06 PM »

WOW am i glad i went with the end-of-year discounted 2012.  roughly $4500 after my tax rebates (but before paying taxes on THOSE next year, of course).

i guess now i have to tell all the riders i have been luring in (and many have really shown interest and some intent) that the big deal is off...

booooo colorado.
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 08:05:13 AM »

Hey Dahlheim,  would you have bought your Zero if there had been no CO tax rebates?
Hey Nukie, if you're still listening, I remember you said you were waiting for the '13 models, are you still 'in the game' without CO tax rebates?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:14:16 AM by ColoPaul »

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 01:01:02 AM »

Hey Dahlheim,  would you have bought your Zero if there had been no CO tax rebates?

i would not.  i was convinced to become a bit of a trial or early adapter because of the rebate.
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000
Pages: [1]