• April 25, 2024, 05:22:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2010 DS - Burning Smell coming from Motor  (Read 836 times)

___

• View Profile
2010 DS - Burning Smell coming from Motor
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »

Hello everybody! I just bought myself a used 2010 DS with around 100 miles on it. I've ridden it for a couple of days and it seemed fine, but yesterday, I noticed a strong electronic burning smell when I was at stop signs. When I got home, I noticed a stream of light colored smoke coming from the motor. I rode it around the block this morning and the smell is still there, even though the motor is cool to the touch. It seemed to handle just fine, despite the smell.

I'm guessing this is a bad sign? I've heard of motor brushes burning up on the 2010 models, but it seems odd to me that it would "burn" even though the motor is cool. I'm at a loss as to whether I should have somebody look at it, or just keep driving it until the motor fails or if this is completely normal?

cirrus pete

• View Profile
Re: 2010 DS - Burning Smell coming from Motor
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »

certainly sounds consistent with burning brushes. It isn't normal and I would have someone look at it.

___

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »

Ok, thank you. time to find a mechanic who's dealt with zeros! :)

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »

Yep, I know that story. Unfortunately, mine with 1000kms did the same thing a few weeks ago. Pull down revealed burned out brushes. Zero have been great; talk to them. Rebuild happening next week, fingers crossed.

The bushes are a weak link i reckon.
Pages: [1]