• April 26, 2024, 10:07:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Agni motor trouble (again) on Zero 2011S  (Read 2192 times)

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Agni motor trouble (again) on Zero 2011S
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:15:03 AM »

Hi all,
me again, still seem to be running into problems with the Agni motor after every couple of k miles. Replaced the motor about 6 months ago with similar originating symptoms. In the hope that other rides have experienced similar and know more of the root cause I posting this again. here it goes:

1. recently the bike started again to have the motor growl and not turn properly when I am trying to start my ride. At this stage turning the key on/off seems to reset the bike enough at this stage to get the motor to turn better.
2. while riding the motor seems to turn a bit heavier at occasions and seems to get as well warmer as after every ride, even slower ones the fan kicks in and runs for a couple minutes when I stop the bike.
3. while accelerating at mid speed the motor cuts out. Previously replaced throttle for this or suspecting controller having a software hickup with a current spike.

Conditions as these problems develop:
- replaced motor with new one and all seemed fine (Zero service provided good overseas support)
- bike seems to run suberb, fast, nippy, fun before this starts to happen again
- It is summer down under and average temps are up compared to winter
- motor has done about 1500miles

I heard of occasions that the Agni motor blocked altogether on MX bikes as described below. Maybe I am need of a motor overhaul ??

here the info:
Situation:
First motor was blocked after a some hours of racing.
The second motor was already blocked within the first half hour of run time.

Analysis and repair:
On both motors the air gap between rotor and the magnets on the brush side was closed. Thus the rotors touched the magnets and were blocked

After demounting of the rotor it was visually and electrically checked. All solder joints were visually in good condition and also the measured resistance values were those of a new rotor. The rotor did not show any indications of being overheated.
Demounting of the rotor showed that the central screw was not properly tight. Due to a very tight fitting of shaft and rotor the required torque to unscrew the rotor remained high.
All parts were cleaned and remainders of the previously used bolt adhesive were removed. The rotor was mounted again and the screw was fixed by bolt adhesive.

Assumed reason for the fault:

Each acceleration activity will put force on the rotor and the central screw. Due to the mounting position of the motor in the ZERO chassis and as a consequence the rotation direction of the rotor in combination with the right handed thread of the joint and shaft this force will be able to loosen the screw if it is not fixed strongly enough.

With a left handed thread the force would help to keep the rotor in place.

Proposed corrective actions:

Solution 1:  „quick and cheap“
Tighten the central screw of the blocked rotor until the rotor is firmly pressed against the edge guide of the shaft again an the rotor is aligned in the center between the magnets.
Check frequently to ensure that the rotor is still correctly fixed.

Solution 2:  „moderate effort“
Dismount the rotor and carefully clean all parts and central screw
Mount the rotor again
Tighten the screw firmly and fix it with bolt adhesive

Solution 3:  „maximum effort“
Dismount the rotor and shaft and carefully clean all parts.
Change shaft and central screw to left handed thread.
Tighten the screw firmly and fix it by bolt adhesive.

Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

jateureka

• Brisbane QLD Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Agni motor trouble (again) on Zero 2011S
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »

What was the cause for your motor issues and how did you fix it?
ZEV 7100 LR scooter, 2013
Zero S motorcycle, 2011

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Re: Agni motor trouble (again) on Zero 2011S
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »

What was the cause for your motor issues and how did you fix it?
I never put any racing load on the bike and therefore no need to rebuild the motor at all. Went through the trouble of getting the motor out to simply just clean it. If you do this ensure to mark the position of the brush holder in the motor so it sits in best possible position.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Pages: [1]