• March 28, 2024, 02:45:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Road salt and brushes  (Read 967 times)

cirrus pete

• View Profile
Road salt and brushes
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »

As I rode to the train station this morning, tires crunching the road salt liberally spread about after a day of snow/sleet/freezing rain, I began to wonder about the potential deleterious impact that salt might have on the engine and components of my electric bike. Zero isn't based in a region know for cold/wet winters, and I wonder how much real world testing there is of the products before they get in the hands of users. I have a 2011, therefore a brushed motor, and have no idea whether those brushes might prematurely corrode from exposure to that salt. I do know that the electrical connections and components on the bike are weather resistant/proof. OTOH, I also know from my salt water fish tank that corrosive elements like salt have an insidious way of penetrating even very well protected areas.

From those better educated on material sciences than I am, any thoughts?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Road salt and brushes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »

Definitely no salt around here (other than in the Bay Area mud flats and in the summer foggy mist).  And for that I am extremely thankful.  From what I hear, salt will ruin just about anything made of any kind of metal and no doubt electric motors are no different.  I think the brushes are the least of your worries.  What I hear from my friends that live in salty environments is that what you want to do is to wash your entire bike off with clear water every time you return home and put it away for the night.  There are also a number of corrosion protection sprays that can help.  I think our English friends are well acquainted with these chemicals from what I read in their magazines and in their on-line posts.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:10:06 AM »

I think like Richard the brushes are not the problem, the copper where the brushes connect will be more in danger. All aluminum will corrode if the coating is "bruised" and so on...

To wash the bike would work, but living in a salty environments also means it is below freezing and you can't wash your bike. Only if you have a heated "washroom".

So my Zero has its "winter vacation" at the moment  :'(
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:28:55 AM »

Salt not just in cold climates. :(

I live on the Pacific Coast. When I would ride my bicycle on the beach bike path I would have a light rust patina show up the next day, on non-plated steel parts (parts I made that were not plated). Also aluminum corrosion. This happens because there are actually microscopic salt crystals in the air, carried by the breeze blowing in off the breaking ocean waves. Until your posting, I never thought about that when riding my Zero DS on PCH which closely parallels the beach bicycle path. This salt in the air has been known to go a mile or more inland in strong winds so people do not use aluminum screens on their home windows, here.

That means that I'm sucking into my motor the salt laden air on days when there is a strong sea breeze and I'm riding along the coast. I wonder what the long term effects will be since that is a frequent ride I make (along with thousands of ICE bikes on nice days).

Fortunately, when I get my new 2013 FX the motor is sealed, so it shouldn't be much concern there.

Trikester

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 02:46:09 AM »

I ride in the salt many weeks each year. As long as you ensure all your (bare) metal parts (except brake disks) ;) are covered in vaseline there is no issue. Except that spring cleaning takes some extra time.
You can use spray on vaseline or from a tube.
Winter tyres are also welcome if you ride in near freezing temperatures.
Once you go EV, gas is history!
Pages: [1]