• April 27, 2024, 03:11:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Latest word on when the 13s will appear  (Read 6414 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Latest word on when the 13s will appear
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 11:20:12 PM »

10 kiloamps (what an awesome word) @ 48V is a lot of servers.

Companies like Cisco were filling big warehouse buildings with servers. I saw an installation where emergency power would be supplied by diesel electric railroad locomotives that were fixed in place on concrete slabs. That's the kind of power we are talking about. :o

We also were selling to phone co new central offices and 27V systems to cell site installations. We sold our company before the whole internet and telecommunications bubble burst, in 2000 & 2001 ;D The last engineering project I did was to design a lower cost 4KW 48v single supply. I turned the design over to the new owner company and it never got used. :(

I got us onto the "ground floor" of MosFET based switchmode power supplies. When we started HC Power Inc the established companies were still using bipolar transistors for their power devices, because they hadn't solved a problem with MosFET's. I turned to an old technology which wasn't as space efficient and there we were, in 1984, with the highest power MosFET based power converters on the market. That gave us a chance to build market base and grow before serious competition appeared. Several years later my business partner and I agreed that we wouldn't have stood a chance if we hadn't started when we did. If we had started a few years later we would have failed. At our biggest size we employed 300 people, in Irvine CA, USA. Can you say "right place, right technology, at the right time"? Let's hope this works for Zero as well. 8)

For those who aren't familiar with the art, all of the power circuits, in our electric motorcycles, whether driving or charging,  are based on MosFET's.

Trikester

BTW - I will be perfectly happy never designing another power converter switching regulator, or inverter again :) I'm having too much fun using other engineer's designs. Go Zero!!!!!

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »

trikester,
Similar story having bailed in 1999 and free by 2000. 
Have you driven the Model S yet?
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »

Have you driven the Model S yet?

Yes, I rode the 2013 S back in November and that's what prompted me to order the 2013 FX the very next day. I posted under a different thread my experience. I recall saying something like; "it's a rocket". Even the long time IC bike mechanic and former racer, who's shop is next to mine, rode it and was all smiles when he returned and said he wanted one. This guy rides more varieties of motorcycles than we could even think of, since he repairs all brands and models including custom race bikes and factory specials. :o

Trikester

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 07:12:01 PM »

Sorry.....  I should have specified the Tesla Model S four door..

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »

Oh. No I haven't.

Trikester

EastSider

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »

Anyone have any new info?
I got the call today that many of us have been waiting for! Ordered 2013's arriving early next week at my dealer. Get ready!

Cheers, EastSider

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »

I got the call today that many of us have been waiting for! Ordered 2013's arriving early next week at my dealer. Get ready!

Good, today I asked my parts guy to go ahead and order my two Kenda K270 tires and the wider (2.5") rim for the rear wheel. I need the wider rim because I'm putting a 5.1" tire on it.

Going to the desert tomorrow, maybe this will be the last ride on the 2012 DS before switching to the 2013 FX. :)

Trikester

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »

Cheers, EastSider

Curious where you are based?

EastSider

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 06:00:23 AM »

Cheers, EastSider

Curious where you are based?
I'm in the Eastern Sierra region, but the dealer is Hollywood Electrics. Did you order a 2013 too?

Eastsider

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 08:49:48 AM »

I'm in the Eastern Sierra region, but the dealer is Hollywood Electrics. Did you order a 2013 too?

Eastsider

Hey Eastsider, are you in the Owens Valley? Once or twice each year I get together with some river boating friends and we spend several days boating various sections of the Owens River. I always bring my Zero DS with me to do some riding while I'm up there (I stay in Big Pine).

I'm looking forward to getting my 2013 FX (from Hollywood Electrics) now. If you are located in that area maybe we could get together for a ride next time I'm there.

Trikester

EastSider

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »

Eastsider

Hey Eastsider, are you in the Owens Valley? Once or twice each year I get together with some river boating friends and we spend several days boating various sections of the Owens River. I always bring my Zero DS with me to do some riding while I'm up there (I stay in Big Pine).

I'm looking forward to getting my 2013 FX (from Hollywood Electrics) now. If you are located in that area maybe we could get together for a ride next time I'm there.

Trikester

Hey, Trikester, you bet. I'm between Bishop and Mammoth, so keep me posted when you next get up this way.

EastSider

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 02:34:43 AM »

Hey, Trikester, you bet. I'm between Bishop and Mammoth, so keep me posted when you next get up this way.

EastSider

Will do!

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:10 PM »

Word from Harlan is that the S & DS are coming off the production line now and FX in a week or two.

Jay Leno always gets his before I get mine - I just can't figure out why that is?  ;)

Trikester

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 05:39:34 AM »

Just talked with Harlan and he was unloading a batch of 2013s :)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

Just talked with Harlan and he was unloading a batch of 2013s

Way cool!  ;D

Trikester
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4