• April 24, 2024, 02:43:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Latest word on when the 13s will appear  (Read 6411 times)

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
Latest word on when the 13s will appear
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »

Anyone have any new info?
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Latest word on when the 13s will appear
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »

Anyone have any new info?

When I was at the factory last month, I was told that the new bikes should be rolling onto the showroom floors sometime in February.  At that time they were waiting for some critical parts to be delivered (however I can confirm that they had lots of new frames sitting around). Zero's production line doesn't look much like what you see in a Honda factory. Not a robot in sight.  Just a few guys assembling bikes with hand and power tools.  I believe they will be dribbling out the door later this month and my guess is that if you want one of the first bikes you had better visit your dealer.  My experience last year is that the early bird gets the first worm that pops up out of the ground.   ;D

Last year I put down a deposit on a new 9 kWh S with my dealer, Mission Motorcycles (located about 80 miles north of the factory), in December.  Late January they received a DS demonstrator, followed by a 6 kWh S, and then my S model arrived in early February.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:08:16 AM »

I put in my order and deposit (Hollywood Electrics) on November 13'th, for the 2013 FX, so I hope to get one of the early units shipped. Of course that also means I may get currently unknown bugs.  :o  :(

Trikester

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 02:29:12 AM »

If I were Zero I would make darn sure they get out before the Brammo Empulse arrives at dealers. Apparently, that is beginning now, but only a trickle. Lots of stories of people waiting for an Empulse, but buying a Zero because of the long wait. It may just work the other way around too, at least for some Zero models like the S.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:16:40 AM »

Hard to compare the two .. early last year there was no definite ship date, pricing, specs for the Empulse. Many doubted it would ship at all, not without some justification given the numerous delays. They were wrong, but you know ;)

The Empulse is trickling out now (3 posters on brammoforum already paid money for and own one), but Brammo's dealer network is pretty immature and is in the process of growing. By the time most people will see an Empulse at a dealer near them - especially if they were not already on the preorder list - the 2013 Zeros will be available as well. One month is not so long to wait, if someone has already made the Empulse vs Zero S decision.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 04:35:50 AM »

If I were Zero I would make darn sure they get out before the Brammo Empulse arrives at dealers. Apparently, that is beginning now, but only a trickle. Lots of stories of people waiting for an Empulse, but buying a Zero because of the long wait. It may just work the other way around too, at least for some Zero models like the S.
I think that any "trying to get their foot in the door while Empulses are still scarce" ship has already sailed at this point.  Both are hand assembled and so both will be scarce while the initial supply fills the preorders.  All of the Brammo dealers should have had their Empulse demonstrators by the middle to end of December.  I am one of the highest Empulse reservation numbers in the system (that put an actual deposit down) and I should be seeing a delivery by the time that demonstrator Zeros arrive at dealers (note that that doesn't mean all ~2000 preorders will have been filled as only a fraction put down deposits, only the serious depositors will have been filled by then).  By all accounts, the supply of Empulse bikes should be equal or better to the supply of 2013 Zeros at any point in time moving forward.  Brammo probably had a better marketing engine leading into the deliveries which will likely translate into more deposit-paid preorders, but once bikes are available on demand I don't think Zero will be ahead of Brammo in terms of supply at any time. (Unless anyone has any insight into factory throughput for the two makers?)

One caveat to the preorders being filled is that the Brammo dealer network is scarce and so some people in parts of the country with no nearby Brammo dealer may have had trouble getting their deposits filled with a bike and may switch to Zero if the Zero has better delivery options.  From what I've heard on this forum, Zero may be moving more towards a dealer model and so, with both companies shunning direct deliveries, the size of the dealer network may be a larger factor than the timing of the release schedules.

But, I agree that a race is on here and sooner would be better than later for the 2013 Zeros.

Also, has anyone actually "bought" a Zero because of giving up on an Empulse since the deliveries got real back in early December?  I would think that many failed to place deposits on the Empulse while waiting for more direct info about the 2013 Zeros, but "buying a Zero" because of the wait would have been something that would have happened this summer and early fall when the choices were a 2012 Zero vs. an unknown delivery on the Empulse.  Now that the Empulse is "real" I don't think any serious customers for a bike like the Empulse would give up the wait to buy a bike with the 2012 Zero specs.  I do think a lot of people on the free preorder list failed to convert to depositors when they saw the 2013 Zero announcement, but they couldn't have "bought" yet - they will stay on the fence until both are available for test rides or reviews, which won't be affected much by the small shifts in timing of getting the 2013 line out.

At this point, with the Empulse actually shipping and nearly filling the preorder list, I think most of the decisions have been made (buy an Empulse, stay on the fence, or definitely buy a 2013 Zero when they are out) and unless Zero sees a shipping delay on the order of "months", few people are going to change between those camps at this point.  (Though, depending on the issues around lack of Brammo dealers, such shifting may occur in markets with no reasonably close Brammo dealers.  Brammo is actively working on that network, though).
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 05:43:42 AM »

One advantage that Zero has is a wider model range. A lot of people might be more interested in a dual sport, off-road or fast urban model, than a top-of-the-line sportbike or an around-town commuter.  Right now, all Brammo has is the Empulse and the Enertia Plus. So that will limit their customer market somewhat.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »

Am I the only one who goes to a motorcycle shop to look at one bike and buys another instead? I think a  dealer actually having the bike you can sit on and negotiate for is huge. There are some purists and e-bike aficionados like on this forum who really know their bikes and don't do that, but many regular customers do. I have 2 Zero dealers within 30 miles of me...one (AF1) is 4 miles, and I can't even locate a Brammo dealer in Texas. I would think this alone is huge. A good salesman might even show you a 2012 and point out the 2013s are due in shortly with lots more power, etc. and take your deposit then. I guess Brammo has a truck that goes around and give people a chance to ride the Empulse, but I haven't seen that. So if I did buy an Empulse and had problems, what would I do? Would they send out someone to fix it or would I have to send it to Oregon or ship it to the nearest out of state dealer? I knew exactly what to do when my Zero broke. I called AF1 and they picked it up later that day. That alone is worth a lot of money to me. Now watch AF1 start stocking Empulses too. That would make me look again.

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »

Am I the only one who goes to a motorcycle shop to look at one bike and buys another instead? I think a  dealer actually having the bike you can sit on and negotiate for is huge. There are some purists and e-bike aficionados like on this forum who really know their bikes and don't do that, but many regular customers do. I have 2 Zero dealers within 30 miles of me...one (AF1) is 4 miles, and I can't even locate a Brammo dealer in Texas. I would think this alone is huge. A good salesman might even show you a 2012 and point out the 2013s are due in shortly with lots more power, etc. and take your deposit then. I guess Brammo has a truck that goes around and give people a chance to ride the Empulse, but I haven't seen that. So if I did buy an Empulse and had problems, what would I do? Would they send out someone to fix it or would I have to send it to Oregon or ship it to the nearest out of state dealer? I knew exactly what to do when my Zero broke. I called AF1 and they picked it up later that day. That alone is worth a lot of money to me. Now watch AF1 start stocking Empulses too. That would make me look again.
Brammo posted a link to their dealer page on Facebook and told people to watch it for new dealers.  There is now a dealer in Austin, Lone Star BMW / Triumph.

Zero is still winning that battle by a wide margin.  I couldn't find a count on their web site, but the "pins" on their dealer locator map look to number around 50 or so vs. the 5 dealers listed on the Brammo site...
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 08:17:32 AM »

Thanks for that info. I bought my 2012 Triumph Street Triple r from Lone Star.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

I know dealers can cost money to run, and it actually surprises me there are that many dealers for such a small amount of e-bikes out there.  Does Zero have more dealers than bikes sold? I sometimes think they spend too much effort on dealer network then they do designing and making bikes.  Maybe that is why the 2013's seem to be a big step up, because they now have the dealer network thing done for the most part so they devoted more time to design on the 2013's.  I wonder. 

I have never been impressed with the dealers around here, so for me the dealer thing is not that big of a deal.  They don't bargain on bikes, it is list price or nothing, and they tack on setup fee's.  If every dealer gives me the same price then the only difference is their knowledge and service.  That is not impressive either, and some places have been down right horrible.  If some of you have good dealers then you are lucky.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »

Zero says they have sold 2500 bikes over the company's existence (bulk of the 2500 are sold in the last 3 years). Given ~50 dealers in the US .. no doubt many of them are selling only a few bikes. But some must be pushing bikes out quite quickly.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »

.. no doubt many of them are selling only a few bikes. But some must be pushing bikes out quite quickly.

Can you say, Hollywood Electrics?  ;D

Trikester

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »

Dealers have 2012 demos for reduced prices and have the 2012s on sale now, at least the two dealers I know about. I think the demos still have a 2-year warranty on them, but I'm not certain about that. Apparently there are still a few 2011s around as well. I haven't tried to deal on a new bike, but I got a pretty good discount on my 2011 S demo last year right at this time from af1. I think I really need a dealer, not being all that handy when it comes to e-bikes.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »

Hi Marshm,

I sometimes think they spend too much effort on dealer network then they do designing and making bikes

Sorry but do you have the slightest idea how much work is in this bikes?
Do you see any company that had done things like Zero?

I have to import a bike from US because your bigmouth’s only pocket subsidies and produce nothing.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7
Pages: [1] 2 3 4