• April 25, 2024, 07:03:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help! Need to find 12v wire for grip heaters  (Read 1758 times)

kcoplan

• View Profile
Help! Need to find 12v wire for grip heaters
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »

My daughter gave me grip Warner's for Christmas (such a thoughtful child!).  I am trying t figure out the best 12v wire to tap into.  Probably can get to the headlight wire if I need to, but I was wondering if someone who has already done this has a better option.  I don't have the 12v accessory outlet kit, and I don't see why I should need it just to tap into 12v somewhere.

-Karl

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Help! Need to find 12v wire for grip heaters
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:56:36 AM »

Hi Karl,

under the "Tank" there is a plastic plate with fuses and the OBD II port, open the two screws to the frame and lift it, underneath there you will find J12 (Accessory jack attached pic).

Maybe you will reach it without disassembling half the bike but it is easier to explain from the top.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 01:45:20 AM »

Thanks, BSDthw.

Not sure I want to disassemble that much of the bike!  I think I am going to have to put this project off - the grill heaters my daughter got me ( they are not the Zero ones) have all sorts of warnings about making sure the heaters are in contact with metal and using high heat glue . . .  I discovered that the throttle side grip is plastic underneath -- doesn't seem like a good idea to use these grip wamers on the Zero! I don't want to melt my throttle.

My wife apparently also bought me grip warmest, and bought the brand Zero uses . . . She was going to send them back, but I think I will make the swap.

-Karl

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Re: Help! Need to find 12v wire for grip heaters
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 02:05:31 AM »

You shouldn't have to disassemble the bike. The connector is easy to reach if you reach your hand into the area above the battery.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:57:21 AM »

Thanks, Harlan.  Probably could have found it without taking this apart if I knew where to look, but it wasn't obvious until I had the fuse panel out!

Next question.  What kind of male connector do I need to mate with J12?  Autozone does seem to stock it.  Harlan, can you tell me the part number, or even sell me one?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »

i just tapped into the wires which feed that plug.  worked well without needing a resistor (or flasher, which i was going to use instead).

link:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2443.msg10745#msg10745
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:44:07 AM »

Yeah, I could just tap into the wires, but I was trying to do things the "correct" way - a proper plug has got to be more secure than a tap.

After poring over Internet pictures of thousands of connectors for hours, I think I might have found the right one - a Delco PT 1295.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/AC_Delco/Connectors/ACPT1295.html

We'll see if it fits!

EDIT 1-24-13:  THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT PLUG, HAD TO SEND IT BACK.

NEVER GOT A RESPONSE FROM ZERO ABOUT WHAT THE CORRECT PLUG WOULD BE.  HAD TO MAKE THE CONNECTION WITH SOME SPADE LUGS, CABLE TIES, AND ELECTRICAL TAPE.

-Karl
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:56:22 AM by kcoplan »

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »

good on ya, for finding the right plug and adding it to the database (if it is).

hard to argue that the right plug is not better than a tap, but i have used far too many taps in too many situations without problems to not have faith in them.  you just have to apply the correct size, and do it carefully.

in any case, good luck.
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:24:58 AM »

.....have all sorts of warnings about making sure the heaters are in contact with metal and using high heat glue . . .  I discovered that the throttle side grip is plastic underneath -- doesn't seem like a good idea to use these grip wamers on the Zero! I don't want to melt my throttle.......

Not sure the brand of grip warmers you have but I've installed grip warmers on a bunch of my bikes (I love them!). Practically all throttle tubes are plastic. You wont melt them. Also, depending on the grips you have, you might not need any glue. when I install grip warmers, I usually replace the stock grips with Pro-Grip Rally Grip 714. They are awesome! They cut down vibes on my ICE bikes. Anyways, grips are so soft that I dont need any glue at all. If you need to use glue, just use any commercially marketed grip glue and use it sparingly. Just a little so that removing it  wont be a pain. Some people just use hair spray or spray paint as grip glue when they install grips without warmers.

I know you said you got the Zero ones but for future reference, I thought I should post this.

Jose Soriano

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:53:28 AM »

Thanks for the advice, Jose.  My wife got me Oxford heated grips after she called Zero and they told her that the Zero grips are just Oxford grips with a Zero label stuck on them and the price doubled.  Zero said the Zero grips were "back ordered" anyway.

You are right, with the Oxford grips, I really did not need any glue, they stick on just fine, and it is nice that I can remove them if I need to.

The thing my daughter got me was not a grip, but just heating elements on a flexible adhesive backing.  Still feel better about using the Oxford grips!

-Karl
Pages: [1]