• March 28, 2024, 11:07:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My visit to the Zero Factory  (Read 2123 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
My visit to the Zero Factory
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »

When I spoke with Richard Walker, Zero's CEO, a couple of months ago during a customer feedback conference call, he invited me to visit the factory once they got their 2013 production model assembly line up and running. That day finally arrived yesterday, scheduled to coincide with the arrival of Terry (offthegrid) Hershner, who was riding up from LA via Highway 1.  (Check out his Facebook page for the entire story and cool photos:  https://www.facebook.com/lifeoffthegrid) Even though I only live 70 miles north of their factory in Scotts Valley, CA and gave myself two hours to get there on my BMW, I decided to take a scenic route through Santa Cruz and managed to get myself completely lost, thereby arriving a fashionably 15 minutes late. 

Upon arriving at Zero's small factory (40K sf, about the size of a typical warehouse), I was introduced to Mr. Walker who decided to personally take me on a tour of their facility.  Just as we went outside and turned the corner of the building, up (silently) rides Terry on his long-suffering, but still running great, workhorse 2012 Zero S. The first thing he does is to spot the charging station mounted on the building wall and cozys up to it looking for some juice.  Unfortunately there was a car there hogging the outlet. The next thing he does was to show me his bike's odometer, which is now showing 17,500 miles since he bought the bike in April.  That is more miles than I ever put on my BMWs during a similar time. I asked Terry where he was able to find power to recharge his bike, which has a range of between 60 and 115 miles, and was told that the best place to "refuel" are at public camping areas. I might add that Terry says one day he traveled 700 miles, charging along the way, and we know his bike is fast because he accumulated 3 speeding tickets during his trip - one was for doing 92 mph! I was impressed and the guys at the factory wanted a copy of that ticket so they can frame it and put it on their wall - for inspiration no doubt.  :D  It appears that Terry has broken all el moto records for distance traveled, for distance traveled over a given period of time and for the number of speeding tickets accumulated by a production el moto.  I think he plans to do better on the way back to Florida.  Go Terry!

Meanwhile, back at the factory tour, Terry joined Mr. Walker (who likes to be called Richard, just like me) and I. We were shown a row of shipping crates with about 100 new bikes in them waiting to be shipped to South America lined up along the building wall. Then we were taken into the factory building to see the large parts department, the R&D areas, battery assembly area and various other sections of the factory.  I didn't take photos of these areas because I didn't want to photograph something that I shouldn't by accident and also because these rooms look just like the inside of every other warehouse you have seen.  What I didn't see was any gilded areas with fancy equipment, large photos of the President or babes holding umbrellas over factory racers.  No Brammo Babes or construction robots here.  Just guys doing stuff with their brains and hand tools and a minimum of fancy equipment.  Even their office area is the typical floor partition special, with the CEO having his own corner office with a view of the building driveway and the open office floor and everyone else in cubes.  I might add that the only suit I saw was on Mr. Walker, everyone else had on casual working clothes and it wasn't even casual Friday.

Unfortunately, the 2013 assembly line was stalled out due to a delay in receiving critical parts from an outside supplier, so not much was going on there. However, I was able to check out a partially assembled production Zero and noticed that the belt adjustment is now accomplished by the usual bolt and locknut pushing against the rear axle, instead of adjusting the location of the motor as is done on my 2012 model.  Little things like this are something that an owner can appreciate.  I also really liked the looks of the new motor.  It is so small and simple looking.  Cables carrying electricity go in one end and lots of torque and power come out the other end.  Here we have a motor that makes 54 horsepower, about what my 865cc Triumph Bonneville produces, and looks to be about 1/4 the size and weight of the Triumph's motor. Also the frame and swingarm looks very robust on the new model. I am really impressed with the improvements made to next-years models. I hope I can hold out for at least until the 2014 model before buying another Zero.

By 3:30 we had finished the tour and Terry and I were asked to meet with the entire company staff. Right on schedule, about 80 people showed up in their assembly room and sat down on the room's folding metal chairs to listen to Mr. Walker introduce Terry and myself. To be honest, I was pretty much embarrassed by the attention.  Here I am standing next to Terry, who just rode about 4000 miles to the factory on a self-modified production battery-powered electric motorcycle, while getting three speeding tickets, and here I am having ridden the 70 miles to the factory on my R1200R touring bike and managing to get lost in the process.  Terry talked about his adventure and bike modifications and I spoke about my use of my Zero to go shopping and how easy it was to ride, clean and maintain.  After the assembly was finished, about 75 people went over to Terry to talk to him and check out his bike (it is nice that you can bring a motorcycle into a crowded room and not have the Fire Marshal object) and the other 5 people came over to me and asked about my use and opinions about my bike. 

I did get to meet all of the movers and shakers in the Zero organization and I was really impressed with their enthusiasm and how pleasant everyone was.  And I didn't see a single chip on anyone's shoulder during my visit.

After more conversation with the troops, the sun was setting and I was starting to feel like a cold bright-yellow pumpkin. So I rode back home in 40 degree temperatures and this time I didn't get lost.  But let me give you some advice.  Stay away from the town of Half Moon Bay during commute hours.  The commute traffic there was completely stopped for two miles along Highway 1 and I had to split lanes to get through the congestion.  I arrived home at 6:30 pm and called it a day.

Photos attached.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: My visit to the Zero Factory
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »

Terry's latest odometer reading.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »

Bikes ready to be shipped to South America.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:00:02 PM »

Terry's bike looking for a recharge.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »

The sally port.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »

A 2013 Zero DS

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »

Thanks for the article and it sounds like a good visit!  Looking forward to seeing the 2013s over here on the East Coast when they ship.

Also looking forward to the International Motorcycle Show in NYC!  I plan to go on Jan 19th.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:08:27 AM »

Thanks Richard, for the report.

I was also "generous" with my praise to those guys (when talking with them at the Long Beach party and show) about the chain tensioning method changing to the "traditional" method of moving the wheel, on the 2013's, instead of the motor. Since I do use a chain drive, instead of the belt drive, I've had to adjust mine in the field and that's no easy task with the present method. Definitely looking forward to my 2013 FX!

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 01:00:21 AM »

Nice write-up but what the hell Richard?  Why would you take the BMW?  :o :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:03:55 AM by NoiseBoy »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 01:47:22 AM »

Probably the 70 mile trip .. even with the 4x Delta chargers, it's probably just shy of 2 hours to recharge. I would imagine Zero would have all the things needed to charge you up quickly though.. and Terry has done some bus-to-bus charging with his bike too : )

Not that two hours at the factory would be a hardship.. next time I'm out in California, I'm going to take a little more time and do some touring on a motorcycle.. would love to stop by and see Zero's factory.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 01:47:41 AM »

Nice write-up but what the hell Richard?  Why would you take the BMW?  :o :o

I took my BMW because it was cold and my bike has a large windshield and the boxer's cylinders keep my feet warm.  But the real reason was that 70 miles was too far to go at 60 mph and there was no place to recharge at the factory - as near as I could tell.  The only charger that I saw was the ChargePoint 240v type and not only do I not have the adapter, but it would have taken about 10 hours to fully recharge the battery even if I did.  By then it would have been after midnight and freezing.  IC motorcycles are still the best ride for long distances, high speeds and cold temperatures.   :o

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »

Cool, thanks for sharing! =)

I didn't see a single chip on anyone's shoulder
Now, this is a new expression to me - what does having a chip on ones shoulder imply?

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 08:48:18 PM »

Great writeup Richard and great meeting you!  I still plan to visit when I come up to the Bay area next week! 

And just for future notice, my bike is also a mobile Zero Motorcycle fast chargng station.  If I can plug into a J1772 port, I can charge you up in about 90 minutes if you are parked within 2 feet of me.

Maybe together we can ride the Zero's to Alice's restaurant this Sunday or next?
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »

Cool, thanks for sharing! =)

I didn't see a single chip on anyone's shoulder
Now, this is a new expression to me - what does having a chip on ones shoulder imply?

Someone having a chip on their shoulder is an American expression describing a person who has an "attitude".

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 09:58:55 PM »

Great writeup Richard and great meeting you!  I still plan to visit when I come up to the Bay area next week! 

And just for future notice, my bike is also a mobile Zero Motorcycle fast chargng station.  If I can plug into a J1772 port, I can charge you up in about 90 minutes if you are parked within 2 feet of me.

Maybe together we can ride the Zero's to Alice's restaurant this Sunday or next?

That sounds like fun, Terry.  Just let me know when you would like to go.  I am pretty flexible.  Hopefully we can get together when the weather is favorable. Riding in the Santa Cruz Mountains during or just after storms can get a little dicey sometimes (falling trees, power poles and mud slides).
Pages: [1] 2