• April 26, 2024, 05:41:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Went to Zero's 2013 launch party last night!  (Read 3757 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Went to Zero's 2013 launch party last night!
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:25:13 AM »

I attended Zero's 2013 launch party in long Beach last night. Lots of good conversation with the top people from Zero as well as meeting some Zero riders like Terry (offthegrid), the cross country rider. Seeing his bike setup and hearing his story, in person, was great. I, in turn, got to tell folks about some of the changes I have made and the reasons why I did them. Also, the opportunity of relating some of my dirt riding adventures and the good performances, beyond expectations, by my DS, was fun for me.

Informative discussions about my coming "FXU" custom (see other postings) were a great opportunity for me.

Of course the Mexican food snacks with music and drink were also good  ;D

The first bike Zero ever built was on display as well as a fantastic custom from Hollywood Electrics, the police bike, and others with a story behind them. On Sunday I'll attend the IMS Show and see all of the new Zero product line.

I much appreciate the invitation to the party, it was a fun and informative evening  8)

Trikester

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Went to Zero's 2013 launch party last night!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:16:08 AM »

Did you take any photos, Trikester?  How did Terry get his bike to LA when he ran out of places to recharge quickly in Texas?  Did he have access to a sweep truck?

I have a factory tour scheduled for this Wednesday.  I hope they let me take photos.   ;D

I am really looking forward to seeing how the 2013 models are built.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »

I attended Zero's 2013 launch party in long Beach last night. Lots of good conversation with the top people from Zero as well as meeting some Zero riders like Terry (offthegrid), the cross country rider. Seeing his bike setup and hearing his story, in person, was great. I, in turn, got to tell folks about some of the changes I have made and the reasons why I did them. Also, the opportunity of relating some of my dirt riding adventures and the good performances, beyond expectations, by my DS, was fun for me.

Informative discussions about my coming "FXU" custom (see other postings) were a great opportunity for me.

Of course the Mexican food snacks with music and drink were also good  ;D

The first bike Zero ever built was on display as well as a fantastic custom from Hollywood Electrics, the police bike, and others with a story behind them. On Sunday I'll attend the IMS Show and see all of the new Zero product line.

I much appreciate the invitation to the party, it was a fun and informative evening  8)

Trikester

Wait... how did Terry get to Long Beach? Thought he was headed to Texas yesterday.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »

Protomech reports that Terry and his bike made the last part of his trip in a van.  I posted his latest photos under "Cannonball Run".
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »

Wait... how did Terry get to Long Beach? Thought he was headed to Texas yesterday.

He said he realized that he would not get to CA until Sunday evening and miss the whole shebang so he called someone to come pick him up in Texas.

He left either today or is going to tomorrow, I don't remember which, and this time do the whole ride - CA to Florida.

I'll be going to the show in the morning (Sunday) and hopefully get some photos. Last night I forgot and left my camera in my truck so I didn't get any. By the time I remembered my camera the room was so crowded that it wouldn't have been worth the walk to my truck to get it. Too many bodies by that time to get a clear view of any of the bikes.

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »

He left either today or is going to tomorrow, I don't remember which, and this time do the whole ride - CA to Florida.

Correction: I spoke with Terry today (Sunday) at the IMS and he is sticking around the west coast, doing some riding here for awhile, before heading back to Florida.

Trikester

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:24:14 AM »

Correction: I spoke with Terry today (Sunday) at the IMS and he is sticking around the west coast, doing some riding here for awhile, before heading back to Florida.

Trikester

Cool. Thanks!

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 02:04:57 AM »

Here's a photo of me astride the 2013 FX at the IMShow.

BTW - I may change my mind about lowering the bike by using the XU suspension. I may, however, still drop it a little by going with a 17" rear wheel and pushing the fork tubes up about an inch in the clamps. I'll definitely move my Corbin seat to this new bike.

Trikester

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:46:14 AM »

You are looking good there, Trikester.   ;D

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »

Thanks Richard!  8)

Trikester

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »

Cool, how was it compared to your DS - any instant - this is different from my bike ?

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »

Cool, how was it compared to your DS - any instant - this is different from my bike ?

Yes. One thing I liked right away was that it was narrower so my legs weren't spread as far apart. This was one factor in my re-thinking my plan to lower it, because I could reach the ground easier with the narrower spread. Even though I was static, sitting in a stand, the bike felt good and I could visualize myself riding the dirt and liking it even more than my DS.

I did also sit on the XU and still liked the visualization of blasting over the dirt in a low slung dirt bike. However, the FX is definitely the way I will go and I'll decide just how much I might lower it. I did hear that there had been some talk, but not very seriously (yet), at the factory of a lower version of the FX. I think for women riders, who tend to be shorter than men, and for guys like me who like a lower CG, a shorter version would sell. Maybe something a couple of inches taller than the XU and with all the other advantages of the FX (bigger wheels, more power, etc., than the XU). In making the XU, their "urban cross bike", they may have gone a little too much "urban" and not quite enough "cross." 8)

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 05:53:44 AM »

Not that easy to tell but you look like you could get the balls of both feet down there Trikester? Which is all you need.

For reference, on my KTM i could just about tiptoe both sides or comfortably put the ball of my foot down on one side so fairly marginal but later on mainly for handling reasons i fitted a 1" lowering link and dropped the yokes accordingly and then i could flat foot both sides.   My point is that you would be surprised just how big a difference an inch makes (now now).

Being shorter and as you arent going to be pushing the limits you could afford to lose some preload also which will help further.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »

Wes @ HFL posted this brief blurb about the Zero party:

Next up was the Zero party at a tequila bar. I got sauced with Dexter Ford, we rudely mocked lesser journalists, then all the Zero people that stopped responding to emails after that episode put on fake smiles and shook my hand. I told everyone that would listen how great the Brammo Empulse is until Harlan from Hollywood Electrics gave me one of his disproving looks. Suitably chastised, I hid in a corner with my friends until it was time to leave.

I'm not sure what a disproving look is, but maybe I should start practicing it for the next time we have a "is electric bad for the environment" thread.. : )

Interesting read.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »

It seems to me that Wes is living up to his self-made reputation.   ::)
Pages: [1] 2