• April 25, 2024, 07:32:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Brake Caliper Mounting for the 2012 S and DS  (Read 1286 times)

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
Brake Caliper Mounting for the 2012 S and DS
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »

Has anyone looked into fitting a Nissan or Brembo caliper to the 2012 S or DS FastAce forks?  I've got some calipers about and sure would like to get rid of that POS piece on the bike now.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Brake Caliper Mounting for the 2012 S and DS
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 12:22:26 AM »

Lipo423 upgraded his front brakes. It was not a trivial upgrade, unfortunately.
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2250.msg8254
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »

Thanks for the thread....
I would prefer a simple bracket (my calipers of choice are not radial mount) and to keep the current rotor.  I too use regen most of the time and only want the brake when I need it and, when I need it, I really need it :)  Living in Florida is year round riding while keeping a keen eye out for blue hair.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:28:41 AM »

You might try to locate a set of soft HP brake pads (if such a thing exists) and give that a try first.  The next option would be to attempt to locate a different master cylinder that would apply a greater mechanical advantage, via a smaller actuating piston, to the caliper.  Both of those options would be cheaper and easier than attempting to hang a new caliper on the forks, I would think.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »

There is a limit to just how much advantage you can put on a poor caliper with a master cylinder before you run into problems with overheating and even seal failure but its certainly a start.  I imagine if you have a collection of smallish calipers you could get one of them to fit without much bother.  It's something i plan to do in the future but don't have access to boxes full of old bike parts to do so.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »

here is a really off the wall approach....  Sportbike front ends are a dime a dozen.  Has anyone looked at fork diameter and spacing (or simply pivot shaft diameter) for dropping a whole front end on the bike?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »

here is a really off the wall approach....  Sportbike front ends are a dime a dozen.  Has anyone looked at fork diameter and spacing (or simply pivot shaft diameter) for dropping a whole front end on the bike?

That has been done before on more than one model of motorcycle with good results. But that will take some research, good mechanical skill, knowledge about brake systems, front suspensions, etc., along with some luck.  Plus, some of that luck will have to go toward finding a sportbike front end that hasn't been crashed.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »

You would be better off with a supermoto front end because fastace is an offroad brand and more likely to use that kind of spacing i would think.  Plus they are easy to get hold of because everyone that buys a KTM SMR or similar upgrades to snazzy suspension and wants rid of the old stuff.
Pages: [1]