• May 02, 2024, 03:45:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Self Service: Motor  (Read 1366 times)

cirrus pete

• View Profile
Self Service: Motor
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:31:51 AM »

Does anyone have any detailed information (like a service manual or videos) I could review on how to remove/replace the motor on a 2011 S?
Thanks

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Self Service: Motor
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:24:01 AM »

Daveruns asked about replacing the motor in a 2011S a few months back.

manlytom and HollywoodElectrics posted some instructions, and then Daveruns followed up with some additional notes.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:22 AM »

might make that a sticky in a Zero maintenance section or so.

you need to go from the back in order to get the motor out altogether. means lifting the bike up in the middle, taking rear shock out and pushing rear wheel all the way up. best to take of rear cover to gain another inch or so. the mid bottom plate needs to go out as well to allow the motor to come out. then take connectors off, wiggle the cover plate out and free. loosen the motor bolts and then in a turning motion carefully rotate the motor out. Its heavy (about 13kg / 26pounds) so set yourself up to handle it.

on general maintenance google for the Agni motor workshop manual (or check one of the mentioned posts)
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

Thanks. Zero sent me a link to a youtube video of removing and installing the engine on a 2010 which they said was more or less the same exercise as a 2011. They didn't do anything with the shock AFAIK and remove the engine out of the bottom of the frame.

skeezmour

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »

Thanks. Zero sent me a link to a youtube video of removing and installing the engine on a 2010 which they said was more or less the same exercise as a 2011. They didn't do anything with the shock AFAIK and remove the engine out of the bottom of the frame.

Post the link silly :)

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »

I was getting around to it. Needed to get to my work computer.
Removal

replacement

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »

Hi, if the videos are the once that show you go from the front to loosen all the controller / charger assembly I found it works on a 2010 but on my 2011 there was not enough space to get the motor out somehow. Aside that it is a lot of screws to loosen etc... So taking out the rear shock, lifting rear tyre and the bottom plate underneath the motor did the job for me. Still quite some effort ...
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »

Man. Looking at that video makes me want some better allen wrenches..
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »

Man. Looking at that video makes me want some better allen wrenches..
Yes some good allens sure help.  I bought some 3/8" drive socket type allens from Harbor Freight but you need both SAE and metric (engine bolts use SAE).  Other than that it was a little time consuming but fairly easy.  Basically you open up the bottom of the bike under the engine and unhook wires and the chain and it will drop straight down.  I did it with the bike standing on it's kickstand.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:59:27 AM by ed5000 »
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org
Pages: [1]