• March 28, 2024, 09:57:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2013's and smart phone dashboard use?  (Read 2959 times)

trikester

• View Profile
2013's and smart phone dashboard use?
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »

Here's a thought for non-smartphone users like me who may (will) get a 2013 ZERO. I have read that the old, outmoded, horse and buggy, smart phones (meaning last year's, or really stone age two years old) phones can be bought for very little now. One could buy the cheap one and just not sign up for cell service. The wi fi connection should still work to connect you to the bike, just like a lap top computer. The problem, however, might be downloading the ZERO app to begin with, since the phone wouldn't have an ISP account either.

If there is a way to load the app into the device, without a carrier contract, then cheap old smart phones could serve as a digital dashboard on a 2013 bike, with no monthly cost. Being older and an outmoded model should also not tempt thieves as much.  8)

You smart phone techies, can this idea work?  ???

Trikester

amahoser

• View Profile
Re: 2013's and smart phone dashboard use?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »

Yep,
I have an old Android smartphone. Besides a small icon telling me that no SIM chip is inserted, it works just fine running apps, checking mail, etc. I can download apps on it via wifi.

You can use either an old phone or a "media player" like an ipod touch or an Android Media player if you want. They are phone sized and have all the smartphone functions without the phone part.

Jose Soriano

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »

amahoser,

Thanks! Here's a copy of the reply I posted on the "handlebar switch" thread to a reply posting there.

Thanks for the quick answer. I could see making some sort of "built in" instrument panel for the device where it would be more difficult to steal and it would always stay with the bike, as opposed to a phone that's in general use.

Trikester

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:16:16 AM »

So what features does the Zero have?
Display some info and interact to change settings like regen? While riding or just when standing still  like some car nav systems.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 04:07:17 AM »

So what features does the Zero have?
Display some info and interact to change settings like regen? While riding or just when standing still  like some car nav systems.

I don't know if anybody has the answer to that question yet, outside of the factory.

Trikester

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 06:40:12 AM »

Here's a cheap new phone on Ebay $97. Plus, its waterproof. If you plan on permanently mounting it on the bike, might want it to be waterproof.

CliC

• View Profile
Re: Re: 2013's and smart phone dashboard use?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »

Not sure anyone answered this part of your question specifically, but you can use the Android app store (Google Play) over wifi to download Zero's app. No cell service required.

The more I keep reading about the 2013s, the more I fear I'll be opening my wallet :)
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

Keep in mind when buying the smartphone that there are some rugged and IP-certified models which are more or less waterproof, or at least water resistant.

To name just a few:

Motorola Defy+ (should be able to find pretty cheap since it's getting outdated)

Sony Xperia Active and Go (smaller) and Acro S (larger)

Samsung XCover

I'm a satisfied owner of both Defy+ and Acro S.

Alos, as CliC said - you can download apps by connecting your smartphone to a wifi, so no need for SIM with monthly costs.

(Edit - completeing answer - had a computer crash/bluescreen)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:03:56 PM by Tudor »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:31:12 PM »

Thanks to all! That's some good information and when I get closer to the delivery of my "FXU" I'll start seriously looking and deciding on what older smart phone to buy.

Since I'm a money loser in being an electric bike early adopter it will be great to be a winner in being a late adopter of smart phones ;D

Trikester

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 02:39:46 AM »

Would ANY Android tablet work?  And what sort of interface device/kluge would be required to add this feature to a 2012 model?

::)  [trying to avoid the temptation to get a new model] :P
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 04:55:41 AM »

And what sort of interface device/kluge would be required to add this feature to a 2012 model?

i could create such a device with enough information.  i'd specifically need info about the communication port on the bike board involved, and communication syntax/protocol.  if i knew how people have altered their 2012's performance parameters via a computer, i could create an on-bike device to do the same thing.  making that device controllable by a phone would then be fairly trivial.

i believe others on this board have some/all of that info, but i guess i can't be certain.
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »

Would ANY Android tablet work?

Theoretically all you need is bluetooth-capable device (and most regular Android-devices are), but the zero app itself may also require a minimum version of the Android-OS.

As an android developer myself I would say it will most likely support at least back to 2.3 (Gingerbread), maybe 2.2 (Froyo) or even 2.1 (Eclair-update_1).

To check your version:
settings -> about phone/device
Pages: [1]