• March 28, 2024, 10:22:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: CA carbon tax starts this week.  (Read 926 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
CA carbon tax starts this week.
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:33:16 AM »

I read today that California starts its "cap-and-trade" carbon-tax this week.  It is too complicated to describe, but eventually every business that contributes to air pollution will be paying a per-ton of carbon pollution fee that will go to the state government regulators for them to give to worthy "green" causes - like the $85 billion high-speed train to nowhere.  The initial fee is estimated to bring in $1 billion and go up from there.  Needless to say, the state's companies will be forwarding the tax on to their customers in the form of higher prices.  They will be able to buy, trade and sell their pollution credits on the global market, if I understand the system. The current value of the carbon tax on refineries is said to raise gasoline costs in CA by 12 cents a gallon.  It is an interesting concept, but I have this feeling that both the state and large corporations will figure out how to take advantage of the program and use the tax to make more money and screw the "little guy".  But then what do I know?

I have this suspicion that even electric vehicles will be hit with the tax due to the pollution caused by their manufacture, transportation, usage, and disposal.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
Re: CA carbon tax starts this week.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55:33 AM »

I read today that California starts its "cap-and-trade" carbon-tax this week.  It is too complicated to describe, but eventually every business that contributes to air pollution will be paying a per-ton of carbon pollution fee that will go to the state government regulators for them to give to worthy "green" causes - like the $85 billion high-speed train to nowhere.  The initial fee is estimated to bring in $1 billion and go up from there.  Needless to say, the state's companies will be forwarding the tax on to their customers in the form of higher prices.  They will be able to buy, trade and sell their pollution credits on the global market, if I understand the system. The current value of the carbon tax on refineries is said to raise gasoline costs in CA by 12 cents a gallon.  It is an interesting concept, but I have this feeling that both the state and large corporations will figure out how to take advantage of the program and use the tax to make more money and screw the "little guy".  But then what do I know?

I have this suspicion that even electric vehicles will be hit with the tax due to the pollution caused by their manufacture, transportation, usage, and disposal.

What? You think maybe this carbon tax thing might turn into a racket that makes money for government and Wall Street while sucking money out of taxpayer/consumer pockets?

Where did you ever get that idea?  :-\
Pages: [1]