• April 25, 2024, 07:19:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rode the 2013 S today!  (Read 8433 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Rode the 2013 S today!
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:04:30 AM »

I rode the 2013 S today and all I could say was OMG!!! It was like having a crotch rocket under me! A super bike! Handling? Wow it is good!

I like everything about the bike except the location of the helmet lock, WTF! It has got to be about the most stupid location one could find to put a helmet lock.  ZERO designers - What is wrong with the "traditional" location on the rear frame? ???

Other than that - what a bike!!!!!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Trikester

mehve

• View Profile
Re: Rode the 2013 S today!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »

Pics or it didn't happen!! (Read: envyyyyy!)

:)

+ m
Rides a 2013 Zero S 11.4

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »

Where is the helmet lock?

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »

Way cool - amazing that Zero already has 2013 demo bikes available to check out. My local dealer promised to call me when they get some in so I can do a test ride.

As far as the helmet lock location - at least there is a helmet lock!
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »

Agree, at least there is one.

It is on top of the "tank" but down in a hole. It's very hard to clip in a full face helmet when the storage unit is not there. Almost impossible when the pull out storage compartment in place.

My opinion of this bike is that there is no reason any ICE rider would not want to ride one of these unless he or she needed to go farther than the battery could take them, or "refill" and get going sooner. This is (to use an overworked term) an awesome bike!

As far as demos being available yet I don't know. I had a ZERO factory connection that got me this chance to ride one.

I've already put my order in to Hollywood Electrics for the 2013 FX ZF5.7 (since I ride more dirt than pavement and to reduce weight). I will also go with chain drive on that bike as I have on both of my DS's. The good news there is that they have changed to the more rugged 520 chain replacing the always stretching 420's.  8)

H.E. will be selling my 2010 DS ZF6 for me soon. It has the xenon headlamp I added but I have changed it back to the stock 16" rear wheel.

Trikester
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:22:30 AM by trikester »

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 01:23:16 AM »

Most BMWs have a simple hook under the seat for the purposes of a helmet lock.  The idea isn't that you'd hook your helmet D-rings there, but that you'd get an accessory cable that hooks over that hook and goes through your helmet's D-rings or chin and loops back to the hook.  (The cable is not provided with the bike as they intend you to use the side bags for primary helmet storage...)  A similar cable could probably make the Zero helmet lock much more feasible...

Also, why the chain drive on the DS's?  Is there a problem with belts in the dirt?

Personally that is one of the main detractors for me considering an Empulse at this point.  After my first bike I kept telling myself "no more chain drive" and yet I keep running into bikes that I like that use chain.  When I was shopping before I got my F650 I actually went to the BMW dealer thinking "at least I know I won't end up with chain drive" and ended up falling in love with the only chain drive bike they ever sold...D'oh!  Now I'm on a shaft-drive RT and finally planning to sell my F650 and looking at the Empulse.  D'oh!  And, I'm itching a lot to pull the trigger on the Empulse, but I'm also hedging a wait for the '13 Zeros...
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:48:40 AM »

Rocks and debris will cut or damage a belt if it gets caught between belt and pully, that why most belt drives bikes have a full lower belt guard to stop that happening.
Because the zero has no belt guard, best for road use, not recommended for dirt , a steel chain will just crush any rocks or sticks.

I heard the zero belt was not too expensive, and belt technology has gotten lot better.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 05:19:50 AM »

Since my Zero S does not have a helmet lock, what I do is to place my helmet on the "tank" and fasten it to the center of the handlebar with a short locking cable run through the chin guard of my full-face helmet.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:02 AM »

Dammit this really bugs me. Two bikes in two years and year three I got to buy a third one just to keep up?

Why can't Zero knock it off and stop making these bikes so much better every year?

Stop working so hard!

Take some time off.

Relax.

It's not like Zero has any competition.  ;D

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »

Yes, "firepower" covered it. I get into some pretty remote places and a rock breaking a belt would be very bad for me!

Also using a chain with a master link makes it possible for me to remove the chain, for lower rolling resistance, if I had to push the bike any distance, for any reason. I also carry chain repair parts and tools (fortunately, never had to use them).

That said, I don't like chain drive and I wish it wasn't necessary for me to use it for reliability.

BTW - Several months ago I was riding through town here and saw a broken motorcycle belt lying in the middle of the road. I thought; some poor rider had a bad day!

Trikester.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

The beautiful 2013 ZERO S showed up at the regular monthly VintageBike OC meet (Huntington Beach CA) today. It attracted a lot of attention even though it is obviously not vintage. A lot of questions were asked of its rider.

I rode one of my Yamaha trike conversions to the meet. You can see both in this month's VintageBike OC photo gallery. www.vintagebikeOC.com

Trikester

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »

I never quite understood why the fully-enclosed chain guards that were used on many European and Japanese motorcycles during the 1950's and 1960's were completely abandoned by the manufacturers.  The last one I can recall (other than on a motor scooter) was the enclosed chain used on the Yamaha 920 V-twin "sport" bike that was sold during the early 1980's. Its chain ran in a fully-enclosed grease bath and I never heard of one wearing out or needing much maintenance.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »

I never quite understood why the fully-enclosed chain guards that were used on many European and Japanese motorcycles during the 1950's and 1960's were completely abandoned by the manufacturers.  The last one I can recall (other than on a motor scooter) was the enclosed chain used on the Yamaha 920 V-twin "sport" bike that was sold during the early 1980's. Its chain ran in a fully-enclosed grease bath and I never heard of one wearing out or needing much maintenance.

If Zero started putting a fully enclosed belt drive on the dirt and DS bikes then I would probably go back to belt drive. It sure is a lot quieter  :)

Trikester

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 12:08:19 AM »

Dammit this really bugs me. Two bikes in two years and year three I got to buy a third one just to keep up?

You don't have to buy a new bike : P

I had thought 2012 would be a real knee in the development curve. I was wrong.. the 2013s are a big upgrade. I'll probably stick with the 2012 for at least a couple of years.

It's not like Zero has any competition.  ;D

Yeah.. it's not like there's a competing manufacturer who's also demoing bikes to customers, dealers, and should be shipping in the next couple of months..

Regardless, it's a moot point. Zero and Brammo both need to improve their bikes (and most critically, drop prices) to make bikes that appeal to more than the small niche they currently occupy.

Comparing the 2012 S vs the 2013 S, same price at $13995:
* 2013 gains passenger pegs ($300) that were formerly options
* 2013 gains a whole host of new features: smartphone integration, lockable storage, left-side drive belt, LED tail light
* 2013 gains a number of enhanced features vs 2012: large power increase, improved brakes, faster onboard charge (9.1 highway miles/hour vs 2012 5.2 highway miles/hour), CHAdeMO option

These are all very good things. But I wonder how much they really will grow the market. Most of the 2012 owners here purchased the ZF9 .. whether because the $2500 upgrade was seen as an easy choice or whether the ZF6 simply wasn't an option .. the market for $14k bikes is small. Selling a better $14k bike than they did last year will certainly help sales, but I suspect any sales growth will be around a factor of 2 rather than a factor of 10.

Consider instead if Zero price-dropped the 2012 S ZF6 to (say) $8995 and sold it alongside the $10495 2013 XU:

* 76/43/29 mile range vs 76/48/35 mile range (city/combined/highway) .. 10% higher in combined riding
* 5.3 hour 95% charge vs 7.4 hour 95% charge
* 75 mph sustained vs 77 mph (sustained?) top speed

The XU is no doubt the better bike.. especially if it were available with a 1.3 kW charger. But I think the 2012 bike, if it could be sold that cheaply while still making a profit for Zero, would win some convert sales that would not otherwise purchase electric .. and a low-price entry model will bring in more interest, many of which may well upgrade to a more expensive bike.

I do think it's more likely that next year we'll see price-dropped 2013 models, now that Zero is building the motors.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:17:56 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »

Regarding motorcycle prices, I have been trying to keep up with the 2013 IC model announcements and just about every one has increased in price.  Now it is not that hard to find a $12,000 600 cc bike and larger models, especially large cruisers, Euro bikes and top-end sport bikes are all nearing or have gone over (with options) $20K.  EV performance, compared with IC models might still be lagging, at least as far as motorcycle enthusiasts are concerned, but Zero and Brammo prices are not that far off for bikes that have new technology and are built in very small volumes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4