• April 26, 2024, 09:47:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Riding in Heavy Rain  (Read 3514 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Riding in Heavy Rain
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:59:56 AM »

Has anyone experienced any issues?   The bike is new but i had ridden in heavy rain the first time round with no issue but last night it was making a high pitched noise as if the normal motor noise was 8 bit (I could still hear the normal motor noise.  Today was raining heavily and it made the same noise and the fuel gauge was going down probably 50% faster than normal.  When it dried out a bit the noise went away and when it rained again in the evening the noise came back.   It also makes a howling noise when slowing down.

Any ideas how the water could be making the bike produce different noises?  It certainly doesn't sound healthy to me.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Re: Riding in Heavy Rain
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »

It should be fine. At Bonneville, I soaked my motor heavily and I have ridden in heavy rain. The water makes things heavy, causes things to spin differently, gives you more drag, it does a lot, but your motor should be just fine so long as you have had the BMS sealed.

mehve

• View Profile
Re: Riding in Heavy Rain
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »

Wet weather makes my ZeroS sound like a beast to be sure! I'm hearing different noises as I use it more. I wish there were audio recordings of it in different scenarios so we can tell when something is amiss. I have clicking at low RPM's besides the whirrawhirra sounds.

The software upgrade has improved the off-the-line acceleration even in Eco mode. I no longer have any concerns and ride more confidently.
Rides a 2013 Zero S 11.4

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »

interesting, no issues with my 2011S in wet weather at all - goes and goes. no difference in sound either.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »

I can hear water being slung around by the belt. No change in performance (post-BMS weatherproofing).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »

Should have mentioned that performance seems unchanged.  Faster battery use is probably because i was opening it up more to hear the noise!

Glad to hear im not alone anyway and as long as the noise goes away when it dries im happy enough.   I do worry a little about road grime getting inside the motor housing but the various cowls and fenders seem to keep the larger debris out.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »

I think a wet belt makes more noise when it is moving than a dry belt.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »

Also when it rains, you usually speed up, due to the fact you want to get out of the rain, like running to get out of rain instead of walking. Its a subconsciousness thing. probably more so in car than bike.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »

I've never heard that before. When it rains heavily I slow down because I don't want to die (and take my new Zero with me)

mehve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »

(Where is the "like" button?)

Also confirming... Performance seems unchanged in the rain. With the addition of my screen I tend to not notice how much I'm accelerating (increased wind noise, less wind resistance). But I do ride slower in the rain though... Especially turns and on the new coating of fallen leaves mashed into the road.
Rides a 2013 Zero S 11.4

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »

I had some rain last week and I can hear a high-pitched noise when I start.

It's only at low speed and will disappear when speeding up.

I think a wet belt makes more noise when it is moving than a dry belt.

Maybe the edge of the belt has more friction at the rim of your rear pulley. The sound is a kind of metal oscillation the huge pulley might sound like this.

Would be interesting too change to the chain and see if it still has this noise.
Is there someone with experience off the sound at rain before he changed too the chain kit?

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »

Hi
I have ridden Zeros with/without chain drive or belt drive and did not notice major difference in rain. The chain was always way noisier than the belt. Once on the belt you hear a lot - anything. your suspension, whine of the motor, air, and a lot of cars around you - the Ducati half a mile behind you --
and today a BIG fire engine speeding past and cutting me off blaring all sirens - yet not making clear they wanted to turn across me ! In fact a scary moment -this thing much bigger and me slowing to a crawl -- anyway, heard them for minutes till they caught up,
and - yes, was very wet.

so urban riding at its best.  :)
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 04:05:39 AM »

I can't imagine the noise is from the belt, it's too loud and seems to be more dependent on throttle than wheel speed.

I had forgotten just how good belts are.  I'm riding an X whilst my S is being repaired and all you hear on the X is the chain thrashing about, not to mention it could do with tightening after 220 miles.  I certainly don't miss the maintenance of a gas bike.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »

Maybe the sound of the chain will be too loud to hear the noise?
But at the beginning (low speed) it could be noticeable.

I agree with you the sound seems to come of the Motor (dependent on throttle) but I have a clear understanding of the controller and good of the motor. It is not so obviously (for me) what can change the sound under wet condition.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 04:30:23 AM »

Wet weather makes my ZeroS sound like a beast to be sure! I'm hearing different noises as I use it more. I wish there were audio recordings of it in different scenarios so we can tell when something is amiss. I have clicking at low RPM's besides the whirrawhirra sounds.

The software upgrade has improved the off-the-line acceleration even in Eco mode. I no longer have any concerns and ride more confidently.

Dragging this one up because Ive been getting the clicking at low RPM also recently.  Had a look around and discovered the belt is really quite loose which is worrying as i only had a new swingarm fitted about 500 miles ago so it has come loose fast.  I am hearing many more squeaks, creaks and rattles as the bike ages which distracts from the experience considerably.  Disappointing on a bike that is only 1300 miles old.
Pages: [1] 2