• March 29, 2024, 09:41:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: offroad handling comparison  (Read 1338 times)

Marshm

• View Profile
offroad handling comparison
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »

Can someone who rides offroad compare some of the Zero bikes to other dirtbikes?  It seems like the focus has been on the electric aspects of their bikes, not the handling. That seems reasonable since it is the new technology part of the bike, however I don’t know a lot about the handling. 

BRD said they were basically going to copy typical dirbike dimensions and suspension so they could focus on the electric part.  So maybe with the BRD I could guess it would handle pretty much ok like other dirtbikes on the market today. 

KTM already knows how to make dirtbikes so I could guess their e-bike will handle just fine. They said their motor and battery pack was all sealed up so no problems with water.   

It is too early to get an offroad ride comparison on the 2013 FX, but I think it will be pretty close to the other existing Zero products.  I am still concerned about the zero’s motor being open because water shorts electrical things out, and I live in a rain forest. It will not only get wet, it will get submerged. 

Will 2013 really see 3 new e-dirtbikes?  I would like to see that.  It appears with the price increases from Zero, that maybe all 3 will be close in price. 

dahlheim

• View Profile
Re: offroad handling comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:04:37 AM »

i have three other dirtbikes and have been riding them most of my life.

i have actually been, as with most other aspects of the bike (12ds9), pleasantly surprised.  it is a bit heavy, but dirt bikes from the 1980s were just as heavy.  the suspension is kind of wimpy.  by that, i mean it's a bit soft and light and doesn't inspire as much confidence as my XR650R or CRF450X.  however, the total package is quite manageable and fun in the dirt.  the weight feels low.  the front wheel won't lift when needed, but you know that ahead of time and can adapt.  i wouldn't pull it out of the garage before my ICE dirtbikes for serious trail riding, but for plunking and exploring, it's superior because it's quiet, lacks a transmission and makes me feel more "in touch" with wherever i am exploring.

hope that helps.
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »

I love dirt riding but I started late in life (after years of mountain biking) so I've only had a few ICE dirt bikes. My 2012 DS ZF6 is the best handling bike, dirt or pavement, that I've owned.

Coming down a steep fire-road, in the Klamath Forest, I suddenly realized there was a washout lurking in a deep shadow of a pine tree. I did a no-no - panic grabbing the front brake. I slid the front wheel which turned at about a 30 degree angle. I was not only able to recover and stay upright but I was also able to miss the washout. Full control riding - no dabs! I'm convinced that on any of my other bikes I would have gone down. I've had other experienced dirt riders, that I've told this to, say the same thing.

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »

I do not much dirt riding my DS, but one little disappointment is the steering angle.
If you do a tail trail style ride it is much to little. But I agree with all above.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:09:54 PM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »

I do not much dirt riding my DS, but one little disappointment is the steering angle.
If you do a tail style ride it is much to little. But I agree with all above.

so true that i'm surprised i haven't mentioned my disappointment with this particular aspect.  however, it's less a problem in the dirt since it's pretty easy to slide the back wheel around.  in the parking garage at work, it's a bit of a nuisance.
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000
Pages: [1]