• April 25, 2024, 06:47:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: AirHawk seat pad  (Read 2378 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
AirHawk seat pad
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:50:37 AM »

I installed the Corbin low seat (which was hanging on my dealer's wall at the time) and found it to be wider but just as hard as the stock seat for my tender butt.  So I then installed a Butt Pad that I had in my closet.  It worked OK on my BMW (another maker of hard seats) but it still didn't really help much when placed over the Corbin seat and it was really too wide for the seat, in any case.

For years I have been hearing motorcycle owners on the internet rave about AirHawk motorcycle seat pads, but the ones that I had seen were still too wide for the Zero's narrow seat.  Then I saw their "Cruiser Pillion" seat pad advertized on Amazon for $77 and bought one.  This is their smallest pad and the only one that they sell that is small enough to fit the Zero seat. Its dimensions are 11" long and 9" wide.  It is just the right size for the Corbin seat and should also work on the stock seat, too.  The pad consists of a series of air bladders, each about the size of a canned biscuit, that are inflated with your breath via a valve at the rear of the bladder. The bladder assembly is enclosed in a fabric case that is fastened to the seat with two thin adjustable straps.  While I haven't gone any rides yet, just sitting on the pad seems quite comfortable.  You can adjust the comfort and height of the pad by letting out small amounts of air.  Attached is a photo of the pad installed on my bike.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:06:19 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: AirHawk seat pad
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »

Great find!

Now i wonder if the 2013 seat  and top fairing (" gas tank") could fit on the 2011 and 2012 ?

DOc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 03:09:19 AM »

I just received the Fall/Winter Whitehorse Gear motorcycle accessory catalog in the mail and on page 41 they are selling the complete range of AirHawk seat pads.  They all sell for $190!  Ouch! That would be too much for my pocketbook.  For that price you could likely get a custom builder to re-manufacture your stock seat to your specifications.  But if you can find the pad like I did on sale for around $70, I would say that is a much more realistic price for what you get (a covered air mattress with lumps).
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:09:41 AM »

This seat pad really works!  I yesterday I sat on my saddle for almost 2 hours while being filmed and today I went for a 90-minute ride.  Both days, when arriving home I didn't even think about my rear end. The pad is not the prettiest looking thing, but it really does work to cushion the hard and narrow Zero seat.   :)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 05:15:09 AM »

Just got mine today, can't wait to take a nice, long, comfortable ride!
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 11:40:21 PM »

I don't get it. Every time I ride, it's the same cycle. Pretty comfortable at first, very uncomfortable, then my ass falls asleep and everything is fine from then on out. It's been like this with every bike I've ever owned. If I could just figure out some way to go directly to my ass falling asleep, I'd be happy.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »

I will rave about Airhawk seats. I have one on my V-Strom that made a 650-mile day along the northern California coast quite easy; granted, that's a great riding section. I have not considered putting it on my 2013 DS, but the seat is better than the proverbial plank of wood and I never ride her for more than a half hour at a stretch. But maybe I'll try it, once I figure out how to strap it down.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »

I will rave about Airhawk seats. I have one on my V-Strom that made a 650-mile day along the northern California coast quite easy; granted, that's a great riding section. I have not considered putting it on my 2013 DS, but the seat is better than the proverbial plank of wood and I never ride her for more than a half hour at a stretch. But maybe I'll try it, once I figure out how to strap it down.

I strapped my Airhawk under the seat, but I had to shorten the straps and remove the seat to install it.  The straps' loose ends fasten with Velcro and the seat edges pressing the straps between the frame supports and the seat help to keep the pad from moving around.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 08:26:22 PM »

I strapped my Airhawk under the seat, but I had to shorten the straps and remove the seat to install it.  The straps' loose ends fasten with Velcro and the seat edges pressing the straps between the frame supports and the seat help to keep the pad from moving around.

"Under the seat"!?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 03:58:53 AM »

Yes.  The AirHawk seat pad has two straps, one at each end of the pad. The straps go under the seat and have plastic clips on the ends that fit into short nylon loops attached to the edges of the pad. Those straps help to hold the pad in place. The seat pad can be removed by unhooking the strap clips. The straps will remain under the seat (if you are careful not to displace them) and the pad can be reinstalled by reattaching the strap hooks to the pad's straps.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 05:18:43 AM »

Yes.  The AirHawk seat pad has two straps, one at each end of the pad. The straps go under the seat and have plastic clips on the ends that fit into short nylon loops attached to the edges of the pad. Those straps help to hold the pad in place. The seat pad can be removed by unhooking the strap clips. The straps will remain under the seat (if you are careful not to displace them) and the pad can be reinstalled by reattaching the strap hooks to the pad's straps.

I just realized this thread is in the 2012 and older... you own a 2014 these days, right?  Same model works fine, or should get a bigger one?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 06:33:47 AM »

I just realized this thread is in the 2012 and older... you own a 2014 these days, right?  Same model works fine, or should get a bigger one?

Same model works for me.  Most of the AirHawk pads are larger than the Zero's somewhat narrow seat, so I got the smallest passenger seat pad.  However, you might want to do some research as AirHawk's product line and pad sizes may have changed since I bought mine 3 years ago. Also, the size of the newer Zero seats might be a little larger than my 2014 model.  ???

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »

Same model works for me.  Most of the AirHawk pads are larger than the Zero's somewhat narrow seat, so I got the smallest passenger seat pad.  However, you might want to do some research as AirHawk's product line and pad sizes may have changed since I bought mine 3 years ago. Also, the size of the newer Zero seats might be a little larger than my 2014 model.  ???

I have the pillion model. Works great on my 2014 SR factor seat.
Pages: [1]