• April 27, 2024, 09:02:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Agni Experiment  (Read 3268 times)

ed5000

• View Profile
My Agni Experiment
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:28:50 AM »

I have a 2010 DS with an Agni motor that became another victim of motor burn-out where the brushes burn and break up.  The damage also extends to the plastic brush plate and very slightly to the commutator.  Zero is sending me a new motor (for which I'm grateful) but I have to wait a few weeks to get it.

In the meantime, I was able to use the brush plate and four of the motor brushes from the first burned up motor that came with the bike (from the original owner) and substitutle them in my motor to get the bike running again.  When I first test drove the bike I was driving like a total grandma taking it slow and easy.  No hard take offs and no freeways.  Just local in town driving.  Still, I was getting a burning electrical smell from the motor but not as strong as my original burnout.  I kept driving it easy and after a week the electrical smells went away as the brushes were breaking in. 

Now, nearly a month later, I can drive the freeways at full speed, commute to work, etc.  The motor works so well I can honestly say the only difference I can tell of the motor is a slightly irregular motor brush sound because of the unevenness of the commutator (damaged from overheating).  I should probably have the commutator machined.  I still need the new motor because two of the brush openings in the brush plate are enlarged resulting in wobbly brushes and one brush was less than one inch long where the rest (8 total) were closer to 1- 1/4 inches long. 

I guess what I'm getting at is there is a reason for the slower accelleration of the Agni equiped bikes.  A little less accelleration means a cooler motor which is a good thing.  Sure blasting off from the light once or twice is fine (and a lot of fun) but doing it too many times seems to accumilate heat in the motor and thus may cause failure.  Other ways to overheat a motor (but maybe a little less likely) are going up long up hill roads at higher speeds and the other, very warm days.  Add all three of these together, which is exactly what I did, and you have a perfect storm.  Ideal conditions for an Agni flameout.  ;D

I say take it easy, these are great bikes.  Right now I'm glad to have mine back.  ;)

2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Re: My Agni Experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »

We just went on a ride (2010DS and 2011s) with twisties and some hills. Noticed that my fan was running on the 2011 whereas not on the 2010. Now i got a bit more miles on mine and cleaned up the motor once - and one can hear the brushes quite well.
I ride a lot in traffic and usually take off normally - means twist and go. Found that even when the fan runs the motor is just warm to touch. So i am suprised that yours keeps burning out. Unless the temp sensors is not sensitive or so on your 2010?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »

We just went on a ride (2010DS and 2011s) with twisties and some hills. Noticed that my fan was running on the 2011 whereas not on the 2010. Now i got a bit more miles on mine and cleaned up the motor once - and one can hear the brushes quite well.
I ride a lot in traffic and usually take off normally - means twist and go. Found that even when the fan runs the motor is just warm to touch. So i am suprised that yours keeps burning out. Unless the temp sensors is not sensitive or so on your 2010?
You could be right about the temp sensitivity.  I usually go a mile or two before the fan ever comes on.  As for motor burnouts, this is technically my first burnout although the previous owner also had one before I bought the bike.  I plan on taking it easier from now on.

The good news is Zero called me to say they have my motor in.   ;D
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »

still a bit surprising. I ride it, have fun, turn the throttle - yes have some glitches but motor and brushes look reasonable well. I am more chasing some details/intermittent wrong.
let us know how u go with new motor. I plan to swap to new motor as well and see if I get a difference.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »

When I built an e-bike with an Agni motor that got pushed to its ragged edge with an Alltrax 650A controller that ran a few tenths of a volt below its overvoltage cutout limit, I pedaled the bike around the block a few times with the motor engaged to seat the brushes to the rotor before ever hooking up the battery. 

Despite being abused beyond belief, that motor never even had the electrical stink going on, so brush problems didn't seem like they'd ever occur.

Taking it real easy for the first bit of runtime on the motor is essential to any hope of a reliable life IMO. 

Zero always did a burn-in period for Agnis on the bench before installing them, but I think that the less power (if any) that one pushes during the first few few minutes of spinning a motor on fresh brushes, the less likely there'll ever be issues with them...

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »

It is important to seat brushes before using a motor under load and speed. On small motors a common practice was to un the motor without load for 24 hours at a very low rpm voltage. However, the brushed motors used on these bikes are series wound so speed keeps increasing as load is reduced (the brushless AC motors don't do this). The rpm could go very high (dangerously) even at low drive levels if some load isn't provided. :o Driving a fan blade would work because load increases as rpm increases (like a bicycle trainer machine) and would limit rpm.

Trikester

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »

I had very good luck with seating the brushes.  I just drove the bike around town as easy as I could taking the slowest residential streets I could find.  That did the trick.  I do have one hill I have to climb to get to my house and that was where I think the burning smell was coming from initially during the break-in.   After that, the motor just got better and better with only a funny sound from the uneven commutator.

Zero has my bike now at one of their zero dealers.  They wanted to install the new motor for me which was nice of them.  I'm very appreciative of that  ;D but while at the dealer I looked at some of new zeros for sale.  I test drove a 2011 S and man, I was surprised to see quite a number of improvements over 2010.  I thought '10 and '11 were pretty much the same bike but no, Zero was busy back then too.  The '11 has larger brakes, slightly larger battery, newer bodywork with a quieter ride, more indicator lights on the speedo, and, of course, that super quiet belt drive.  I wanted to take it home!  On the other hand, I should try a '12 (test drove one last January) or just wait for the 2013s to come out.  Hmmmm. :)

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:28:25 PM »

I traded my 2011 S in while it was in the shop, but apparently it was a burned out motor too. While I regularly rode the bike at WOT on the interstate for an exit or two and got the motor hot enough with the fan staying on for 10 min or so after stopping, when it actually burned out (if that is what happened), I had just left Subway after a 35 min. lunch. It was 86 degrees. I went 50 yards to a stop sign and as I accelerated away, the motor hesitated once, caught, hesitated again, groaned and stopped....dead. 3500 miles. Seems to me like this is a cumulative problem and not really an overheating problem per se. I didn't feel the motor when it died, but no way could it have even been warm in 100 yards. There was no hint of rough running, abnormal brush sounds, hesitations, or any other problem before it died. I'm never going to Subway again though.

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »

Sorry to hear that dkw.  I'm convinced the warmer temperatures are hard on these Agni motors.  Last week in the Bay Area here we had a day with 91 degree temps.  On that day I drove my zero with my cobbled together motor and measured the motor's outside surface temps and I got 150 degrees where normally I don't see much over 120.  So on these days I'm just going to take it easy.  The rest of the time I can race around more. :)

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 03:33:28 AM »

Still interestng that some of us have heat problems with the agni. The older MX models all use the Agni and accellarate very fast. They are ridden in MX races and seem to work well. Ok some people have improved the motor (picoamps.de) or rather fixed it up as original from manufacturer is not highest quality. I saw a guy mounting a PC fan just behind the Agni amd having running simply all the time on an MX.
Tom

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »

A little update here...

My 2010 DS is still in the repair shop for a motor change out and I decided to go out there last Saturday to have a look.  The bike is still in the shop because they were having problems with the main board.  The good news is Zero is sending out a new board but that means I'll have to wait a little longer.  I sure miss the bike.  The weather has been good here except for a couple rainy days.  I'm impressed with Zero's level of service on this.  So far they haven't tried to cut any corners here.

While there at the bike shop, I looked at that 2011 S again.  It was sure tempting.  It was on sale for a good price and if I had the $ I would have bought it.

In the meantime I dusted off my old electric motorcyle, actually an electric bicycle.  I haven't driven it since last March when I bought my Zero.  This bike will only do 30 mph but it's still a lot of fun.  I've driven it a bunch of times to work 16 miles away.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:32:40 AM »

You wouldn't get that kind of service from BMW.  They would tell you that "they all do that" or it is a "wear item" or it is your fault and just go to the sales showroom and buy a new bike - you shouldn't really have kept that thing for two years, anyway.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 08:26:43 AM »

You wouldn't get that kind of service from BMW.  They would tell you that "they all do that" or it is a "wear item" or it is your fault and just go to the sales showroom and buy a new bike - you shouldn't really have kept that thing for two years, anyway.   ::)

all common responses from major manufacturers.  a major reason why i do my repairs myself.

i hope Zero keeps to its guns and doesn't sell to the major manufacturers when they come a knockin', which they will...
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »

+1 on the e-bike ed5000. If you run out of battery on that, you just pedal it home.

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »

+1 on the e-bike ed5000. If you run out of battery on that, you just pedal it home.

Thanks dkw,  I did have to pedal home once.  A wire connection came loose and I didn't find it right away so I just pedaled home.  It took me 10 minutes instead of 4 or 5 minutes but I was happy to get home.

I should mention did have a near motorcycle version of this bike.  I have a matching front hub motor and a second controller that's progammable and I was running it at 80 volts.   It was a demon bike.  It would snap your head back and pop wheelies.  It was much faster than my 2010 DS although I was afraid to take it over 50 mph without any real suspension or disk brakes.  The fun part was I was able to commute to work 16 miles away on almost the same wh/mile so I didn't need a larger battery pack because I kept it under 30 mph the whole way (unless I was chanllenged) ;D.  I could tell some stories but this isn't a bicycle forum. ;D  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:55:28 AM by ed5000 »
Pages: [1] 2