• March 29, 2024, 07:05:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Glitch Recall  (Read 3775 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Glitch Recall
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:34:05 PM »

It looks like Zero wasted no time in recalling the "glitch":

NHTSA Campaign ID Number :   12V455
Manufacturer :   ZERO MOTORCYCLES INC.
Make / Model Years :   ZERO / 2012
Subject :    Motor Encoder Position Signal/Possible Stall

Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kcoplan

• View Profile
Re: Glitch Recall
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »

Thanks!  Here's a link to the NHTSA page with info
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/latestRecalls.cfm

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »

Good.

I think the NHTSA issues recalls in two cases, when they receive a certain number of complaints or when the manufacturer contacts them. This seems like the latter.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 02:50:06 AM »

Did you notice the number of units affected?  315.  I guess that tells you how many 2012 models have been sold since January.  Not too bad, considering the price of the bikes, the limited number of dealers, the relative lack of Zero advertisements and press articles and the fact that electric motorcycles haven't really caught on with the public because they are so new and the technology as yet unproven in the minds of most potential customers.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 03:41:35 AM »

nice to see such responsiveness from Zero.  i guess i'll have to wait a bit for my new bike :-/

currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »

It says that it will be a re-programming. I wonder if that stops the drift problem or just resets it to begin the drift again from the point that the bike was new?

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »

The description that I have heard is that it dynamically compensates for drift as the bike is used. If it is working properly then you should never have to recalibrate.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »

Cool!  8)

mehve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »

The break light and bms issue has still not been addressed on my 2012 S ZF9. My foot pegs still have not arrived. I see here that Zero is responsive. I'm guessing it might be the dealer then? I can't imagine they'd be slacking...but man! Seattle's rainy season is about to start! I don't want to risk getting stalled...

+ m
Rides a 2013 Zero S 11.4

sgmdudley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

I had the Glitch. Dealer said he would do the reprogram Sept 11th. When I arrived and processed the bike S-ZF9, they found the
other two recalls were to be done. Brake light and BMS board waterproofing. I was not notified about these but the dealer checked
on it when they had my bike in. Good deal. Just did a 91.6 mile ride yesterday. Ran out of bars and was still going. No Glitches.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »

I had the Glitch. Dealer said he would do the reprogram Sept 11th. When I arrived and processed the bike S-ZF9, they found the
other two recalls were to be done. Brake light and BMS board waterproofing. I was not notified about these but the dealer checked
on it when they had my bike in. Good deal. Just did a 91.6 mile ride yesterday. Ran out of bars and was still going. No Glitches.

No glitches. Was waiting for this fix before taking my perfectly operating bike off the road for recall maintenance. I mean I get these recall notices all the time for my BMS and its obvious they are written by lawyers trying to make sure the manufacturer complies with EPA and other bureaucracies rather than warn customers about real issues so I usually ignore them. For Zero I now have 3 recall items for non-issues... the glitch, weatherproof a circuit board, and a brake light switch. ZZZZzzzzzzz.

brubaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »

I Just wanted to take a moment to thank some of the regular contributors of this forum.  I hardly ever post, but am a regular reader. Luckily I have yet to experience the "glitch" or BMS moisture faults, but have been checking back regularly to see how some of you guys are making out.

Thanks again for all the additional research, testing and general information sharing you've provided. 

I'm really happy with my Zero S and happy that Zero is taking these issues as seriously as they seem to be. It's great to know that there is such a solid community formed as a result of the work of those at Zero specifically and electric motorcycle manufacturers in general.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 05:55:29 AM »

Thanks brubaker.
Take a moment and sign in on the owners thread:

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2209.0
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 06:40:07 AM »

I Just wanted to take a moment to thank some of the regular contributors of this forum.  I hardly ever post, but am a regular reader. Luckily I have yet to experience the "glitch" or BMS moisture faults, but have been checking back regularly to see how some of you guys are making out.

Thanks again for all the additional research, testing and general information sharing you've provided. 

I'm really happy with my Zero S and happy that Zero is taking these issues as seriously as they seem to be. It's great to know that there is such a solid community formed as a result of the work of those at Zero specifically and electric motorcycle manufacturers in general.

Welcome, brubaker. Great to hear from another 2012 Zero owner who's having no glitches or other issues. I was starting to feel lonely.  ;D

Electric Terry

• View Profile
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: [1] 2 3