• April 26, 2024, 04:17:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: heated grips? saddlebags or top rack/bag?  (Read 1910 times)

dahlheim

• View Profile
heated grips? saddlebags or top rack/bag?
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »

just wondering if anyone has successfully installed/used heated grips?  i'd be interested in doing it on the ds.  i thought i read mention of it somewhere here, but a search comes up blank...

also looking for luggage options that work/don't.

thanks again
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

cirrus pete

• View Profile
Re: heated grips? saddlebags or top rack/bag?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »

just wondering if anyone has successfully installed/used heated grips?  i'd be interested in doing it on the ds.  i thought i read mention of it somewhere here, but a search comes up blank...

also looking for luggage options that work/don't.

thanks again

I have the zero top/saddle bags. They work well but the top bag (which holds my helmet every day when I go to work) has a frayed zipper connection already. In addition they have faded from sun/weather substantially over the last year. I do ride my bike every workday in all weather here in NY though.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »

My recollection is that Zero sells heated grips as an accessory.  But I have heated grips on both of my BMWs and I recommend heated gloves as being a better option. They keep your hands much warmer in very cold weather, don't require installation other than a 12V pigtail, can be used on any other motorcycle and cost less.  Another option is to purchase some battery-powered heated gloves as are available from stores specializing in outdoor recreational supplies.  Also, some motorcycle accessory catalog stores sell both rechargeable battery-powered as well as motorcycle 12V power system heated gloves.

I have yet to see a rear luggage rack for the 2012 Zero or a hard top box.  But there are plenty of soft and semi-soft luggage options that will attach to the rear of the seat and over the rear of the fairing behind the seat, such as sold by RKA and many other brands.  The same goes for soft and semi-hard saddlebags. There are lots of options, but some of the larger saddlebags are too big to fit the Zero's frame.

Attached is a photo of the 10-year old expandable RKA bag that I use every day to carry lots of stuff on my 2012 Zero S.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:28:34 AM »

thanks alot for the replies.

i have both heated gloves and grips on a couple of different bikes.  for my commute, my grips suffice down to below 0F.  at 40F or lower, i must have the gloves for longer trips (not to mention chaps and vest).  i guess i was wondering about how the bike tolerates the load, fit concerns, etc.

similarly, i have a lot of storage options on all of my (six) bikes.  i was just wondering about good/bad experiences.  that description of the luggage means they won't work where i live.  the UV exposure alone at 5000' altitude is enough to destroy lots of things which did just fine when i lived in NJ.
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

blake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:39:07 AM »

I rode in to work this morning in the dark in 7C ambient temperature and my hands were plenty cold upon arrival after a one hour ride. Also wondered about heated grips or how to hook up a heated vest. Have no idea where I could install leads to power such a device, and also how it would affect battery life. In my iMiev electric car, the cabin heater makes a huge difference to range (instant 30% drop).

blake

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:50:55 AM »

I rode in to work this morning in the dark in 7C ambient temperature and my hands were plenty cold upon arrival after a one hour ride. Also wondered about heated grips or how to hook up a heated vest. Have no idea where I could install leads to power such a device, and also how it would affect battery life. In my iMiev electric car, the cabin heater makes a huge difference to range (instant 30% drop).

blake

Hey blake; Zero sells a 12V power outlet (cigarette style) kit; about $100.  It's good up to 120W which is enough for many gloves/jacket liners.   If you use it at full power for one hour, that's 120W-h;  which is only about 2.2% of the range of a ZF6;  1.4% of the range of ZF9.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT
Pages: [1]